Author Topic: dough calculator  (Read 1394 times)

Online csafranek

dough calculator
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
so when you are using the dough calculator what is the thickness for neapolitan pizzas?  Thank you

Online shuboyje

Re: dough calculator
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »
I personally use 0.078.  Sure it varies a bit depending on who you ask.
-Jeff

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:59:29 PM »
I do the other method  never calculated thickness factor?  do by weight of  dough balls and quantity or number dough balls I want at  250-265 grams  stretch  @12" and then  thats your thickness  ;)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
250g @ 12" is 0.078.
-Jeff

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »
I have been using a thickness factor of .097 recently and spreading to approx 13"

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
Thickness factor is so non-representative of crust thickness in NP, I agree with John that dough weight is a much more appropriate/meaningful metric.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
I do the other method  never calculated thickness factor?  do by weight of  dough balls and quantity or number dough balls I want at  250-265 grams  stretch  @12" and then  thats your thickness  ;)
John

+1

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »
My recollection is that at the time the various dough calculating tools (http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_tools.html) were being beta tested among several of our best and most respected members at the time, it was scott r and Bill/SFNM who requested that a dough ball weight option be implemented in the tools along with the thickness factor option. They were no doubt influenced by the Neapolitan style where dough ball weights are used more than thickness factors. So, we put the dough ball weight option in all of the tools for those who prefer that method. Looking back now after several years there are a few things that I wish we had done or included or changed in the tools. Unfortunately, we no longer have the capability of modifying the tools. On the positive side, there were very few programming errors.

Peter

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »
Thickness factor is so non-representative of crust thickness in NP, I agree with John that dough weight is a much more appropriate/meaningful metric.

Have you ever tried playing with a smaller dough  ball ?

I know it's not NP spec, but I go with a 175/180 gram 12" pie.

Perry

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »
Have you ever tried playing with a smaller dough  ball ?

I know it's not NP spec, but I go with a 175/180 gram 12" pie.

Perry

I've found 225g/13" is as small as I like, so a little more g/in^2 than you. Typically, I use 265g/13".
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 02:09:59 AM »
I've found 225g/13" is as small as I like, so a little more g/in^2 than you. Typically, I use 265g/13".
I completely agree....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 01:50:50 AM »
Looking back now after several years there are a few things that I wish we had done or included or changed in the tools. Unfortunately, we no longer have the capability of modifying the tools. On the positive side, there were very few programming errors.

Peter

Just curious, what would you do different, or modify in the tools?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »
Just curious, what would you do different, or modify in the tools?
Sharlene,

I think the main change would have been to add a few more ingredients to some of the calculators. At the time of the original design, we scoured quite a few dough recipes to identify the most prominent ingredients used. Later, I found a few others that might have been included but weren't. Had we thought of it at the time, it might also have been possible to include a few blank entries in the tools for members to add their own ingredients that were not already in the list of ingredients. The tools would only provide weights. For users without scales to weigh those ingredients, they would have to do the weight to volume conversions using their own conversion data.

A few members also complained that some of the volume measurements were oddball. For example, if a tool said to use 0.43 teaspoon of an ingredient, they were not able to round that off to say, a bit more than 3/8 teaspoon (or a bit less than 1/2 teaspoon). I discovered that there are quite a few people who cannot handle simple fractions as were taught to them in schools when they were children. I once had a member send me a PM asking me to convert all of the volume measurements in a given recipe to standard measuring spoon sizes since he said that he couldn't do it. So, if it had been possible from a programming standpoint, it might have been useful to round volume measurements to the nearest 1/8th teaspoon or something like that.

Another member complained that the deep-dish dough calculating tool did not allow one to select a different thickness factor for the part of the dough that goes up the side of the pan. We did not know at the time that that was a concern. We were aware that there were some pizza operators, like Giordano's, that used dough rollers to form skins of uniform thickness, but we did not know that there skins that were thinner at the sides of the pan than at the bottom. Had we known of that concern, maybe it would have been possible to program that feature into the deep-dish dough calculating tool.

Finally, there were a couple of errors that it would have been nice to be able to correct.

The above notwithstanding, Mike (my collaborator who did all of the programming) and I were happy with the dough calculating tools we created. I consider them to be my most significant contribution to the forum. They were a major tipping point for the forum for the better and made life easier for large numbers of our members. One member went so far as to say that the tools were like TurboTax for pizza.

Peter

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:37:26 AM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan