Author Topic: Just bought outdoor oven today  (Read 398 times)

Offline tahoeaway

Just bought outdoor oven today
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
Hi my name is Sue and I just bought a used Outdoor pizza oven this morning. I'm excited about using it to cook more than pizza's. We have a love of roast meats and also Tandoori style cooking and Naan bread so I'm hoping we'll get tons of versatility out of it.
The model I bought is a CampaItalia Smarty Oven that the guy actually brought over from Italy. He was upgrading to a built in oven on his patio and this one is portable (a plus for me).

I'm hoping to fire it up tomorrow and make some real pizza's. I worked in a chain that had wood fired ovens years ago but I'm a bit rusty.

Super excited to be taking this new journey!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Just bought outdoor oven today
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:22:41 PM »
Sounds great, we can't wait to see the pictures!
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline correctbuilder

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
Check my blog for about 30 posts on cooking at less than pizza temps.  truebrickovens.blogspot.com
Especially, smoked roasts. Bon appetit!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »
Check my blog for about 30 posts on cooking at less than pizza temps.  truebrickovens.blogspot.com
Especially, smoked roasts. Bon appetit!

Correct:

I just checked out your blog. Very nice work! Hopefully I can get they-ah from hee-yah someday and see your work in person!

I did some training in Portland, back in the day! There is some sort of a "mud oven" pizza place next to the ferry out to the harbor islands if I remember correctly?? Lots of very "earthy" people running the place.

Be well.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
Hi my name is Sue and I just bought a used Outdoor pizza oven this morning. Super excited to be taking this new journey!

Sue, welcome to the forum. Ain't it great to get a new toy, er, I mean tool ;D
My local hardware store has an oven of similar shape to the one you bought, fire in the lower section, food in the top section, reminds me of a smoker in some ways.
Will be interested in hearing what temps you achieve with your oven, when baking pizza?

Glad you found us.

Happy Baking!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline tahoeaway

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
Sue, welcome to the forum. Ain't it great to get a new toy, er, I mean tool ;D
My local hardware store has an oven of similar shape to the one you bought, fire in the lower section, food in the top section, reminds me of a smoker in some ways.
Will be interested in hearing what temps you achieve with your oven, when baking pizza?

Glad you found us.

Happy Baking!

Mark

I've only used the oven a handful of times due to being busy with other things since I bought it. I also haven't had a chance to purchase a temp gauge yet but I'm guessing the temps are really getting up there! I've been able to cook Pizza's in around 3 minutes or so and if anything they could have stayed in slightly less time. Not sure if my higher temps are due to using the Envirologs as a starter or not, they say that the temps are higher than regular wood burns but regardless it's been great. The original owner who brought the oven over from Italy said that if you wanted you can actually put coals on the top area where the pizza cooks too but he never felt there was a need for it and personally never did it. I'm not sure I'd do it either as I like the mess being down below.

So far I've made a few pizza's, chicken, shish kabob, Naan bread, steaks and some roasted veggies. Everything has turned out great although the first few Naan's took a little getting used to.

Maybe this weekend I'll fire it up again. The size and portability of the oven is really just perfect for my needs.