Author Topic: Allow me to introduce myself.  (Read 656 times)

Offline Carpets3000

Allow me to introduce myself.
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:57:30 PM »
My name is Ron from Chicago. I have been making pizza for 2-3 years now. It actually took me a whole year to master the art, and there were many days that I said this will be my last pizza out of frustration, even last week. My first pizza was comparable to a a large circular loaf of bread with pizza sauce and cheese on top. Today my pizza is highly favored among family and friends. My goal is to have a pizza outreach program for families struggling to make ends meet. Just bought a used kitchen aid classic and it feels like it will give out any day. It seems to struggle with 5 cups of flour dough for 2 16" pizzas. Hopefully I can get some insight from you pizza men and women of this forum. Pizza is not only a food or passion. It's a way of life!

scott123

Re: Allow me to introduce myself.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »
Ron, welcome to the forum.

Kitchen Aid mixers, are, in my opinion, more trouble than they're worth. If you knead the dough by hand, you can add rests to the process which translate into very little actual kneading time.

Offline Carpets3000

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 12:05:39 AM »
Thanks. I have been kneading by hand for two years. I thought I might give me a break, especially if I want to get into doing this everyday.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:51 AM »
It sounds like you're getting into higher volume, and hand kneading will only get you so far, but for 5 cups of flour, it runs circle around the KA (imo).  I would say that anything up to 8 pizzas would be comfortable by hand, unless you're willing to break it up into multiple batches.  The hardest part is the initial mix.  Once it comes together in a ball, though, go do something else for about a half hour, then come back and, knead it a minute, then give it another half hour, knead one more minute and you should have a good dough. If you're cold fermenting overnight, you could probably even get away with less- maybe 1 minute mix, 30 minute rest, then 1 minute knead.

Offline Carpets3000

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:17:52 AM »
8 pizzas huh? Well you must have the forearms of Popeye there.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:03:46 AM »
Ron, you don't need forearms like Popeye if you let time do most of the work.  In all fairness, I've never kneaded 8 batches at once, but I have done 6 17" pies worth, and I can't recall that being the slightest bit taxing (with plenty of rests). I chose 8 because, I think, any larger than that and you'd have trouble getting a big enough bowl.

I minored in ceramics in college, so I have developed pretty strong arms from the countless hours kneading clay, but if you use good technique and knead with the weight of your body, rather than just your arms, it doesn't take a great deal of strength.

I'm not anti-mixer, just anti KA. If you want to start shopping for a used Hobart or save up for a bosch universal mixer, then, by all means, I think those could make your life easier, but using the KA for 2 pizza batches of dough... I wouldn't do it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:36:28 AM »
Hey Ron,

I like your style.... "My goal is to have a pizza outreach program for families struggling to make ends meet."

I have a barely used KA mixer...don't know what "model" it is...it's shiny an white(has attachments an paddles,etc.) and it is yours for free if you think it could help you reach your outreach program.

It comes with only one stipulation....you must coax Scott123 into providing you with a jump point dough recipe.   8)

PM me when you are ready to take delivery....this sounds like it could be a good thing and I'm not back here bull%$#'in .  ;)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
Please tell us more about what exactly you have in mind for your pizza outreach program.

You might want to start a new thread on the topic.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Carpets3000

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 10:58:58 PM »
Ron, you don't need forearms like Popeye if you let time do most of the work.  In all fairness, I've never kneaded 8 batches at once, but I have done 6 17" pies worth, and I can't recall that being the slightest bit taxing (with plenty of rests). I chose 8 because, I think, any larger than that and you'd have trouble getting a big enough bowl.

I minored in ceramics in college, so I have developed pretty strong arms from the countless hours kneading clay, but if you use good technique and knead with the weight of your body, rather than just your arms, it doesn't take a great deal of strength.

I'm not anti-mixer, just anti KA. If you want to start shopping for a used Hobart or save up for a bosch universal mixer, then, by all means, I think those could make your life easier, but using the KA for 2 pizza batches of dough... I wouldn't do it.
Thanks for your advise Scott. So would you recommend using the same technique with rests using the KA?

Offline Carpets3000

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »
Hey Ron,

I like your style.... "My goal is to have a pizza outreach program for families struggling to make ends meet."

I have a barely used KA mixer...don't know what "model" it is...it's shiny an white(has attachments an paddles,etc.) and it is yours for free if you think it could help you reach your outreach program.

It comes with only one stipulation....you must coax Scott123 into providing you with a jump point dough recipe.   8)

PM me when you are ready to take delivery....this sounds like it could be a good thing and I'm not back here bull%$#'in .  ;)

Bob
Thanks Bob, I really appreciate your generosity. I will let you know. Hopefully I will begin this mission in the upcoming months.

pizzapan