Author Topic: Cento Certified Price Increase  (Read 3282 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Cento Certified Price Increase
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »
go for the roa1 cento italian!    or even better buy them with the Joseph Russo label from market basket for even less money.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
I received my case of roa1 batch Centos today....thanks again for the help Craig, they are faantastic!  :chef:
http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Imported-Italian-Tomatoes-35-Ounce/dp/B002C4C67C/?tag=pizzamaking-20
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:31 PM »
I received my case of roa1 batch Centos today....thanks again for the help Craig, they are faantastic!  :chef:
http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Imported-Italian-Tomatoes-35-Ounce/dp/B002C4C67C/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I'm glad you like them. I was a little worried after finding out that my taste in tomatoes sucks earlier today.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
Cento San Marzano certified   3.49 at my local IGA today

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »
On sale at our Publix, $0.30 per can savings.... Now only $2.69 for the certifieds!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
speaking of Cento, I just opened a can of Cento D.O.P. certified, "San Marzano" "product of Italy" PomodoroSan Marzano Dell'Agro Sarnese-Nocerino peeled tomatoes, complete with the two "authenticity" stamps and a seven digit code number. I assume these are the supposed "authentic" San Marzano" tomatoes of myth and legend! These tomatoes are extremely small, none were over two inches long. They did not appear to be a long cylindrical shape that is often associated with "San Marzano" tomatoes. The tomatoes were of varying degrees of ripeness, some were dark red and falling apart, others were more light pinkish red and still a bit firm. I strained the liquid off them and it rendered about a cup and a half. Straight from the can they have a kind of bittersweet taste, hard to describe it any other way. I plan on using the strained liquid for a bloody mary some time this weekend, the tomatoes themself will be crushed by hand and used on pizza later tonight. All in all I can't say that these tomatoes are very impressive, will give a report on how they taste on tonight's pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
speaking of Cento, I just opened a can of Cento D.O.P. certified, "San Marzano" "product of Italy" PomodoroSan Marzano Dell'Agro Sarnese-Nocerino peeled tomatoes, complete with the two "authenticity" stamps and a seven digit code number. I assume these are the supposed "authentic" San Marzano" tomatoes of myth and legend! These tomatoes are extremely small, none were over two inches long. They did not appear to be a long cylindrical shape that is often associated with "San Marzano" tomatoes. The tomatoes were of varying degrees of ripeness, some were dark red and falling apart, others were more light pinkish red and still a bit firm. I strained the liquid off them and it rendered about a cup and a half. Straight from the can they have a kind of bittersweet taste, hard to describe it any other way. I plan on using the strained liquid for a bloody mary some time this weekend, the tomatoes themself will be crushed by hand and used on pizza later tonight. All in all I can't say that these tomatoes are very impressive, will give a report on how they taste on tonight's pizza.
Man I would take those back!  >:(

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »
Wow, I may have used these before and not remembered, but I picked up a can 28oz at Trader Joe's for $3.99/ea. A bit high but the taste, the packing sauce, the minimal amount of seeds, OO LAH LAH!
I wrote to Cento to try and find a better price in my area.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »
Wow, I may have used these before and not remembered, but I picked up a can 28oz at Trader Joe's for $3.99/ea. A bit high but the taste, the packing sauce, the minimal amount of seeds, OO LAH LAH!
I wrote to Cento to try and find a better price in my area.

Mark
Add another buck to your cost and you are in NC price zone!  :'(
Craig put me up on some non "certifieds" that I now get by case on Amazon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:34:43 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »

I am not trying to take away anything from those who specifically love "San Marzano" Tomatoes, but i have found that Alta Cucina Plum Tomatoes by Stanislaus, to be consistent, sweet, and priced right (usually around 3.99 or less for a # 10 sized can). I also search out and try different brands of San Marzano Tomatoes for fun, but it is hard to beat the products from Stanislaus Foods.

http://www.stanislaus.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#Alta