Author Topic: Coluccio Pomodori San Marzano D.O.P  (Read 3926 times)

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
Coluccio Pomodori San Marzano D.O.P
« on: November 17, 2005, 11:58:09 AM »
I bought a case of Coluccio Pomodori San Marzano D.O.P. Plum-Pomodori Pelati Italiani in purea di pomododo con Basilico. There's been lots of debate here regarding "real" San Marzano tomatoes so I have no idea what I even have but I had to try them. I made some sauce and it was way too watery so I tried my second can boiling it down with some fresh garlic and oregano. Wow! what flavor! Anyway, I'm in Orange county and if anyone wants to buy a can or 2, just let me know. I paid $39 for the case of 12 so if you want a can, just figure out what that is per can. I'm not selling these to make a profit and I will use all of them if no one wants a can or two. I just thought I would throw it out there if anyone wanted to try since it's hard to get these.
Here's a cool link on Pizza Margherita ...
http://rusticocooking.com/campania.htm

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Coluccio Pomodori San Marzano D.O.P
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 01:23:22 PM »
scampi,

Some time ago I had a conversation with the importer of the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour during which he suggested that I try the Coluccio San Marzano DOPs. He thinks that they are a very good tomato. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate them in any of the stores I have been in looking for San Marzano tomatoes, although I was able today to locate the company itself, in Brooklyn. 

The way I use the San Marzanos is to use the fruit, which I squeeze to remove the seeds and juices before using on pizzas (such as Margheritas), and rather than throw away all the liquids, I boil them down very slowly on low heat until most of the liquids evaporate. I either use the sauce that results alone, with some herbs, garlic, a bit of sugar and olive oil, etc., or I combine it with some of the uncooked fruit. The tomatoes are too expensive to throw anything away except for the empty can  :).

Peter

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 03:54:05 PM »
Hi Pete,
  If you haven't tried these, send me an email with your address and I'll send you 2 cans. I would be more than happy to do that if you could report your results on the site.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 04:05:37 PM »
scampi,

Thank you for your kind offer. However, I expect to be in NYC over Thanksgiving and hope to be able to find a few cans. If I don't, I will let you know.

Peter

Offline ralph

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 06:32:27 PM »
You might want to try Mugnaini.com under accessories.  They have very good San Marzano's for $36.00 a case.  We've used them in the past and love the flavor.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 10:35:23 PM »
scampi,

Today I tried the Coluccio San Marzano DOP tomatoes that I bought in Little Italy while I was in New York over Thanksgiving. In the particular can I bought, the tomatoes were of large size--larger than most San Marzanos I have tried--with little green. I thought the fruit had a mild, pleasant flavor, with low acidity and with a hint of sweetness. I did not detect the "tinny" flavor that many imported tomatoes have.

I personally like a thick puree since I like to use it in the finished sauce, usually by reducing it over low heat and adding a variety of seasonings and herbs before recombining it with the crushed tomatoes themselves. I found the Coluccio puree to be a bit on the thin side. An example of a San Marzano DOP tomato with a thick puree that I especially like is the LaRegina DOP San Marzanos. Like everything else, cost is a consideration. The Coluccios were around $3.50 a can. Unless you can get a good price on the Coluccios, as by buying a case, I think that there are better values available elsewhere.

Peter

pizzapan