Author Topic: 800 Degrees in Westwood, CA  (Read 1272 times)

Offline dineomite

800 Degrees in Westwood, CA
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
The concept of 800 Degrees in Westwood, CA has intrigued me ever since I read about it. Started by the guy from Umami Burger, the idea is to essentially "Chipoltle-ize" wood-fired pizza. What intrigued me was how you would be able to keep a line moving with a range of the indecisive to those who actually looked at the menu while waiting in line and knew what they wanted.

When I arrived at about 12:30pm on a Saturday, the line was about 15 deep. It took probably 20 minutes from the time we got there 'til the team we paid and sat at our table. It took probably another 5-7 minutes for the pizza to arrive. (pies were coming out somewhere around 2 minutes, but there's a back log). I think the pizza was something like $7 or 8. (I got the Picante). For what it was and what it costs, I think it's a good value. The location is perfect (open 'til 2am next to a college campus). I wish they had one of these when I was going to school  ;D While the concept is interesting, the line was 30 people deep by the time we left sometime after 1. My guess is that those people were going to be waiting at least 40 minutes.

Offline dineomite

Re: 800 Degrees in Westwood, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »
The oven and the pie.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
Only in America. Actually the pie looks pretty good. What was the flavor of the crust like?

John

Offline dineomite

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »
The crust itself was fairly bland and a touch dense. In fairness to them, I think they err on the side of much less char simply because a) it takes less time b) mainstream America doesn't understand the definition of the word "burnt" as it relates to wood fired pizza. I get pissed when I read reviews and people flame a place (pun intended) because the pizza was "burnt"; then when you scroll down and see the picture - it's a perfectly done pie.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »
just another case of right flour,  wrong oven  :-X

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »
The crust itself was fairly bland and a touch dense. In fairness to them, I think they err on the side of much less char simply because a) it takes less time b) mainstream America doesn't understand the definition of the word "burnt" as it relates to wood fired pizza. I get pissed when I read reviews and people flame a place (pun intended) because the pizza was "burnt"; then when you scroll down and see the picture - it's a perfectly done pie.
dineomite,

Another California pizza chain, Amici's, also has had to deal with consumer perception of what char is on a pizza. It has gone so far as to post the following at the top of its menu:

We bake our pizzas in brick ovens, the way tradition-minded Italians have been baking pizzas for hundreds of years. Because our pies are baked directly on the super-hot brick floor, the crust comes out crisp and darker than the typical American pizza often a bit black. If you are a crust lover, you will find our crust distinctively delicious.

NOTE: If a darker crust is not to your liking, please specify "light crust", although the result may be undercooked for some tastes

Peter

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »
just another case of right flour,  wrong oven  :-X

And possibly the wrong fermentation and salt levels, if the crust is bland. Too bad. It looks like they have very nice ingredients from the video on their site:

http://www.800degreespizza.com

John

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »
And possibly the wrong fermentation and salt levels, if the crust is bland. Too bad. It looks like they have very nice ingredients from the video on their site:

http://www.800degreespizza.com

John

John, thanks for the video link. Nice way to start my Sat at work by watching pizza being made. I'm hungry!!!!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
I got the Picante

Some other folks might have as well - unexpectedly - the arugula is jalapeno slices  :-D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
Good eye! Come to think of it, I don't even know why the arugula would be in the precook portion of the line?  ??? Interesting.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »
Good eye! Come to think of it, I don't even know why the arugula would be in the precook portion of the line?  ??? Interesting.

Paulie Gee's makes a great pie where the arugula goes on before the bake. I forget the name.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
dineomite,

Another California pizza chain, Amici's, also has had to deal with consumer perception of what char is on a pizza. It has gone so far as to post the following at the top of its menu:

We bake our pizzas in brick ovens, the way tradition-minded Italians have been baking pizzas for hundreds of years. Because our pies are baked directly on the super-hot brick floor, the crust comes out crisp and darker than the typical American pizza often a bit black. If you are a crust lover, you will find our crust distinctively delicious.

NOTE: If a darker crust is not to your liking, please specify "light crust", although the result may be undercooked for some tastes

Peter

After I got done with a similar explanation to my 8 year old grand-daughter she said, "Oh, but when you eat that part it tastes burnt."

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »
Some other folks might have as well - unexpectedly - the arugula is jalapeno slices  :-D

Ya and the sign on the left seems to be flipped bottom to top.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »
I live pretty close to the place and sometimes drop by on my way to the airport.  I have been to a few "chipoltle" style pizza places, and they cant even compare to 800 degrees. 800 degrees is a HUGE step above the other couple places I have been to and they are also kind enough to sell me a 55lb bag of flour when I need it for making my pizza's.  I think their pizzza is  really good and does taste like most higher priced Neapolitan pizza's I have had.   They also recently switched to San Felice flour from Caputo because they said it seems more consistent.  I also have seen that when using it at home.  I also have witnessed a customer complaining about the char.  Anthony the owner handled it really well.  Gave her money back and sent her on her way!

Scott D.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »
I dont understand this silly small pans ? speed is key here as is knowing the right amount of ingredients and topping to put on. Guess thats a help thing?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline dineomite

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 09:06:20 PM »
Scott,

For what it costs!?!?!? It's a great value. How long is the line typically? (ie, the total wait time to get to the register) While not perfect, it certainly surpassed my expectations for an $8 12" wood-fired pie. Here's a picture I took when I was there a few weeks ago.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 12:02:13 AM »
I finally got to try this place yesterday.  We got their Margherita with bufala mozzarella and Carni with salsiccia, pepperoni, meatballs, and ham.   I just have to say that their idea of a Neapolitan pizza is totally different from mine.  It is almost the exact opposite of what I would make.   To give you an idea, I tried to fold it and the crust broke in half.  Bake time is nowhere near 60 secs as they claim.    I timed their pies at 2:40-3:00 mins.  800 degrees is more like 600 degrees or less.   It's definitely not Neapolitan, IMHO, unless I have been fooled!  But, the owners have done a great job marketing the idea to the public and it works.  When I left, they had at least 25 people waiting in line outside. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 01:29:53 AM »
Great post and review, thanks

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan