Author Topic: finally  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Pizzaholic

finally
« on: January 06, 2006, 02:32:20 PM »
I finally got my hands on 6 in 1 tomatoes and Bonta pizza sauce with basil in a large can (#10?) I think.   
Now, is it possible to get ideas on how to divide it up and store?
I am thinking about plastic freezer bags. Will this work??
I also obtained some instant yeast,1# bag, same question, store it in a cannister in the freezer? Will this be ok for longevity and freshness?
Went to a Gordon Food Service in Michigan and got all this for about $13.00.
Regards
Pizzaholic

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: finally
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 08:21:42 PM »
I finally got my hands on 6 in 1 tomatoes and Bonta pizza sauce with basil in a large can (#10?) I think.   
Now, is it possible to get ideas on how to divide it up and store?
I am thinking about plastic freezer bags. Will this work??
I also obtained some instant yeast,1# bag, same question, store it in a cannister in the freezer? Will this be ok for longevity and freshness?
Went to a Gordon Food Service in Michigan and got all this for about $13.00.
Regards
Pizzaholic

I use 1-quart wide-mouth canning jars for my excess pizza sauce. Fill the jar, leaving a 1" gap for expansion, then freeze.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 09:04:48 PM »
Pizzaholic,

Dry yeast, either active dry yeast (ADY) or instant dry yeast (IDY), has a good shelf life--about 1 year if the package is unopened (and not refrigerated), and 6 months if tightly resealed and refrigerated after opening and, for added protection, stored in an airtight container. If frozen (also in an airtight container) the yeast will last almost indefinitely (although yeast producers usually recommend a much shorter time period—about a year). In my case, I take the one-pound bag of yeast, tightly close the opening by folding the top under, wrap a rubber band around the bag to keep it tightly shut, and put the bag into an airtight container. I have yeast that is several years old using that approach.

Peter

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 03:25:54 PM »
Thats what I was looking for!
Thanks for the information, and I am going to
do it soon!
Best regards
Pizzaholic

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 07:36:28 PM »
Thats what I was looking for!
Thanks for the information, and I am going to
do it soon!
Best regards
Pizzaholic

Pizzaholic,
If you're anything like me, don't do it soon, DO IT NOW! ;D

Dan

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 09:25:05 PM »
Pizzaholic:

Man, don't ya love GFS?  Funny you should ask about this.  I just did this three weeks a go.  Normally, I stick with the 6-1.  This time it was the Bonta.  That's a lotta sauce.  I usually doctor it up with the spices and divide it.  I use freezer bags.  Use any size that suits you.  Fill it up but leave some room.  Zip it up to just about the end then squeeze out the air.  Get out the Sharpie and write out the date AND CONTENTS.  I can't tell you how many times my X-Ray vision and memory failed me.  Pizza sauce or Pasta sauce?  Chicken breast or Pork Loin?  ...write it down.  Just that simple.
Since you were there, did you pick up the Bouncer flour?  It's my favorite.  The store brand was super cheap so I got it this time.  It's good too.  Have fun.

PizzaPolice

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 02:48:39 PM »
Dagnabit!
I saw the Bouncer and the other hi gluten flour and stood there
thinking: is it any good? I havent seen it on this site here? How the
heck am I gonna store it?
Darn I wish I got it now that I am home.
How about that spice selection there at GFS.
Next trip I'm gonna do the flour.
Pizzaholic

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 10:14:04 PM »
Yeah, the bouncer is great.  Of course, after following Jeff's advice about flour and the DLX mixer, I haven't looked back.  Storing the flour is a snap.  It was covered a couple of weeks back.  Stick some in a closed container for your use and store the rest OFF the floor in a cool place.  You'll figure it out. 
I don't know how often you make pizza or quantity.  If you are just short of a Pizza place get the spices.  If you are normal, stick with the smaller grocery store stuff.  Keepin it Fresh.

Have fun with it.

Offline luke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 07:34:17 PM »
When I'm making a batch of sauce using #10 cans of tomatoes, I find that I definitely need to freeze the sauce in order to keep it fresh before going through the whole can.  I've found that ice cube trays are excellent for this.  I let the sauce sit in the fridge overnight to let the spices mix, and then dump the sauce into 5 or so ice cube trays.  Once the sauce is frozen, I dump the "sauce cubes" into freezer bags to freeze for long term storage. 

When I want to make a pizza, I pull out a few cubes and let them thaw in a small container on top of the oven while it is pre-heating.  I usually use 5 cubes for a large (16") pizza.  I find this to be a very easy way to portion out my sauce, and I only have to thaw the amount of sauce I will use right away

pizzapan