Author Topic: Frank Giaquinto came to my pizza stand today  (Read 33970 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Frank Giaquinto came to my pizza stand today
« Reply #700 on: January 04, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »
Norma , the day 2 test was highly successful. Getting very close to that neo-NY thing. This is on a Blackstone with high heat (a little over 700 top center stone) and cranked down 1 minute or less before the launch. Baked almost 8 minutes.

The temps were something I decided a few pages back on this thread when you guys were speaking of Frank and a visit to Di Fara's. Note that the spotting had not turned into a burnt taste yet. (phew!) Not a traditional NY'er, but one I'm very pleased to get to. A little more cheddar and I got it.  :D   

Now all I need is the strength to not cook the remaining ball for at least 3 days.

Roy,

I see your 2 day test was highly successful.  Congrats!  Your pie looks stunning.  :chef:  I did note that the spotting had not turned into burnt.  Your crumb looks very good.

Lol, about you now needing the strength not to cook the remaining dough ball for at least 3 days.

Norma

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #701 on: January 04, 2015, 10:24:54 PM »
Norma,

Ah, I see. The two actions were two days apart.

Day #1: The first balling was 15 minutes after the final stretch and fold.
Day #3: Two days later, the dough balls were getting massive and very gassy. that's when I did the de-gas and re-balling.

And thanks for the kind compliment. I've seen dozens of your pizzas and various experiments you've posted over the years. I have been amazed at how well you can make anything come out looking nicely. A bit jealous, too, as I was making shoe-leather crusts when reading the back threads.  :-[ 

- Roy
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #702 on: January 05, 2015, 07:48:09 AM »
Norma,

Ah, I see. The two actions were two days apart.

Day #1: The first balling was 15 minutes after the final stretch and fold.
Day #3: Two days later, the dough balls were getting massive and very gassy. that's when I did the de-gas and re-balling.

And thanks for the kind compliment. I've seen dozens of your pizzas and various experiments you've posted over the years. I have been amazed at how well you can make anything come out looking nicely. A bit jealous, too, as I was making shoe-leather crusts when reading the back threads.  :-[ 

- Roy

Roy,

I understand now, why you did the de-gas and reball.

I have had failures too, but experiments can help teach you what not to do. 

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #703 on: January 05, 2015, 06:41:24 PM »
On a couple of the video's Frank calls the sauce ladle a "capino" or perhaps "cupino"  I cannot speak Italian, so I looked it up on an Italian/English dictionary and could not find it.  I think it would be a neat word to pick up and start to use for my "ladle" when cooking with people.  Could you ask him if I heard it correctly?  Or perhaps Norma, you know the answer?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #704 on: January 05, 2015, 07:13:22 PM »
On a couple of the video's Frank calls the sauce ladle a "capino" or perhaps "cupino"  I cannot speak Italian, so I looked it up on an Italian/English dictionary and could not find it.  I think it would be a neat word to pick up and start to use for my "ladle" when cooking with people.  Could you ask him if I heard it correctly?  Or perhaps Norma, you know the answer?

Dave,

I tried to look up the same word in Italian/English and I could not find that word no matter how I spelled it.  :-D I used sauce ladle in Italian and English, and many other combinations.  It sounds to me like Frank says “cupino”,  but I will ask Frank how it is spelled.

Maybe another Italian member could also help us.

Norma

Offline parallei

« Reply #705 on: January 05, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »
Dave,

I tried to look up the same word in Italian/English and I could not find that word no matter how I spelled it.  :-D I used sauce ladle in Italian and English, and many other combinations.  It sounds to me like Frank says “cupino”,  but I will ask Frank how it is spelled.

Maybe another Italian member could also help us.

Norma

Here is my guess:  Italian-Americn slang for a small cup.  The prefix ino is a deminutive in Italian.  A cup is coppa.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #706 on: January 05, 2015, 08:35:17 PM »
Here is my guess:  Italian-Americn slang for a small cup.  The prefix ino is a deminutive in Italian.  A cup is coppa.

Thanks so much Paul!  It is nice to have a cool Italian like you here on the forum.   :-*

Norma

Offline stegosaurus!

« Reply #707 on: January 09, 2015, 11:54:37 PM »
Wrong. The word is cuppino and is the Neopolitan word for ladle. The Sicilian word is very similar: cuppinu. I believe they are pronounced the same and both mean ladle. It is also sometimes spelled coppino and often shortened to cuppin' [goo-PEEN].
"I don't tell you how to surf, farm, make movies, or anything else that California is famous for. Don't tell us what is and isn't in our pizza." - Scott123

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #708 on: January 10, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
Wrong. The word is cuppino and is the Neopolitan word for ladle. The Sicilian word is very similar: cuppinu. I believe they are pronounced the same and both mean ladle. It is also sometimes spelled coppino and often shortened to cuppin' [goo-PEEN].

Mikey,

Thank you so much for explaining what the word the word for ladle are pronounced in Neopolitan and Sicilian!  ;D Your other explanation is also good.

Norma

Offline stegosaurus!

« Reply #709 on: January 10, 2015, 09:55:55 AM »
Mikey,

Thank you so much for explaining what the word the word for ladle are pronounced in Neopolitan and Sicilian!  ;D Your other explanation is also good.

Norma
No problem Norma. I grew up in an area of NY with a heavy Italian immigrant population. A lot of them were Sicilian.  I had heard the word before. My boss is Italian and he didn't know the word, so I asked my hometown pizzeria owner who is Sicilian. Through him and Google I was able to confirm the definitions.

Italy has a ton of regional languages, so there is often confusion about certain words and often they are assumed to be slang.
"I don't tell you how to surf, farm, make movies, or anything else that California is famous for. Don't tell us what is and isn't in our pizza." - Scott123

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #710 on: January 10, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »
No problem Norma. I grew up in an area of NY with a heavy Italian immigrant population. A lot of them were Sicilian.  I had heard the word before. My boss is Italian and he didn't know the word, so I asked my hometown pizzeria owner who is Sicilian. Through him and Google I was able to confirm the definitions.

Italy has a ton of regional languages, so there is often confusion about certain words and often they are assumed to be slang.

Mikey,

I find it interesting that Italy has a ton of regional languages, and there is often confusion about certain words, and some of the times there are slang words.  I am glad you were able to find out what the word was for ladle from your Sicilian pizzeria owner and searching Google. ;D  I never would have figured it out.  :-D

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #711 on: January 10, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
My thanks too Mikey!

Now I can say "I am spreading my sauce with a cuppino"  with confidence!  ... it adds a  bit of color to the process of preparation.   :)

Offline rparker

« Reply #712 on: February 09, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »
(I trimmed the quoted section for space purposes.)

Roy,

Edit:  I think this is Tom Lehmann most recent video.

This might be Tom most recent video on how to make pizza dough, using the KISS method.  As you can hear what Tom says in this last video he says the mixing time can be cut by 3 to 4 minutes.  Tom also talks about why oil should be used, and when to mix the oil in.

Norma, I know this goes back a month, but I was wondering if you knew that that last link to the video would have been? I looked and didn't see anything with him for the length. I also searched his name, pizza dough and KISS (acronym and spelled out)

Thank,

- Roy
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #713 on: February 09, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
(I trimmed the quoted section for space purposes.)

Norma, I know this goes back a month, but I was wondering if you knew that that last link to the video would have been? I looked and didn't see anything with him for the length. I also searched his name, pizza dough and KISS (acronym and spelled out)

Thank,

- Roy

Roy,

I think this was Tom video I wanted to post.  I thought I checked the video to see if it worked, but guess I didn't. 

If you want to see another video from Tom Lehmann for when an emergency dough might be needed this is the video.

In both videos Tom talks about holding the oil back.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #714 on: February 09, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
For any members that have been following the videos of Frank and what he has shared with us, and my friendship with Frank, I am posting to say Frank and I are not friends anymore.  As Neil Sedaka once wrote a song “Breaking up is hard to do”,  that is also how I feel.  Our friendship has changed over the past few months, and it was heavy on my mind of what to do.  For me, it was incredibly hard to do.  I won't go into all what happened, but we took different paths, or directions in how we view things related to pizza.  I did tell Frank how much he was appreciated for all he shared.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #715 on: February 09, 2015, 10:58:25 AM »

What a bummer....

Thanks for all the work you did with the videos an everything Norma.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #716 on: February 09, 2015, 11:19:58 AM »
Norma, what a blow, to us, of course, and it seems to you also. Perhaps these differences were insurmountable. It is of course hard to discuss here. If you have a wish to discuss in private I am always open to PM. Take care and continue on your path to success and happiness.
Looking forward to many more years of your insightful participation here at PM.com

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #717 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »
That's unfortunate.  From what I can observe,  I'd charcterize both of you as passionate but not fanatical.  The world is big enough for all sorts of pizzas and people.   
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #718 on: February 09, 2015, 12:36:05 PM »
Norma, that's a shame. However, in the name of pizza, stretch on! I am looking forward to the next time I am able to pay you a visit.

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #719 on: February 09, 2015, 01:46:29 PM »
I am also sad about this and have conversed with Norma about it because I too have disconnected my phone relationship with Frank.   I wish him well and am very thankful for all he shared with the pizza community.  Walter

Offline rparker

« Reply #720 on: February 09, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »
Norma, thanks for posting those links. I remember the first one not working, but thought it was Youtube being flakey again.

Norma and Walter, I'm saddened to hear this and I hope that any lingering pain eases as quickly as it can. Friendships can be such  funny things to maintain these days.   :(

-Roy

pizzapan