Author Topic: For the love of pizza am I pizza blind ??  (Read 968 times)

Offline tcbone

• I Love Pizza!
For the love of pizza am I pizza blind ??
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »
Guys,

I have grown up my whole life loving pizza and the art of crafting it in the kitchen. Here recently I have wanted others that love pizza know that they too can make it themselves. For most, the basic pizza requires few ingredients, but the idea of making themselves is intimidating.

So I figured if those ingredients could be sent to them with a list of instructions it would open tons of interested people into making pizza for their-selves! So this sparked an idea for a business where people purchased a set of ingredients (pre measured) with a list of instructions guiding them through the process.

I figured if I could get valuable feedback anywhere, it would be here. Does this idea have potential or am I pizza blind?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: For the love of pizza am I pizza blind ??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »
I suspect the feedback you get here will be pretty solidly against your idea. The people here aren't even remotely representative of the general population when it comes to anything pizza. I think you will find that this is a pretty deep in the weeds, pizza R&D place with a fairly heavy bias against "pre" anything. Certainly there are exceptions, but I doubt a pizza kit is one of them. And rightly so, the focus here is on great not good. Good is easy. Great takes effort. If you stick around and read some posts, you will see that there are so many variables that even given the same ingredients and instructions, different people will make very different pizza with a very wide range of success or lack of. If you want to make great pizza at home you really have to experiment and tweak to figure out what works best in your own unique situation. If all you want to make is good pizza, there is no shortage of easy recipes on any one of who knows how many thousands of websites.

Personally, I don't think your idea is bad, but I do think the market for it is likely pretty small. But I'm as biased as anyone here. I'd encourage you to stick around; there is a lot to learn here that would help you fine tune your offering. However, if you want meaningful feedback about your idea as a business proposition, I'd look to forums with a more general cooking orientation.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline JD

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:46:03 AM »
Unsurprisingly, I agree with Craig.

The problem with pizza is it takes practice and muscle memory to make something great. You can follow a recipe to the T and make the worst pizza ever. All it takes is some bad reviews to completely ruin your reputation and it's game over.

Counter-argument:

Traditional mozzarella making is probably as complicated, if not more than making pizza. However, a very popular basic cheese making kit exists: http://www.amazon.com/Mozzarella-Ricotta-Cheese-Making-Kit/dp/B00014CEXG/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Maybe if you market your kit as a basic pizza, and do not try to categorize it as a particular style that will disappoint the consumer when they can't get it right, it may work?
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »
Already been done.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 02:16:48 PM »
Already been done.

Hey dude, I wanted to post that!!   :-D

It's amazing isn't it that the "Chef's" product is still out there slugging away.....maybe tcbone does have a chance?  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"