Author Topic: Proper Autolyse Technique  (Read 578 times)

Chuckciao and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Proper Autolyse Technique
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »
I've read different ways so probably no absolute correct method but my question is this. I tried last night and used all the water and about 3/4 ths the flour.  Put it in my KA bowl with the hook and... nothing.   Didn't really even touch the mix. Then I replaced with the cake batter mixer and still not much agitation.

I then just did it manually with a fork until it was uniform. I mixed for around 1 minute or so with the fork. I let sit for 15 then added the rest of the flour, salt, sugar and yeast and mixed as usual with the hook.

Is that mixing with the fork good enough to start the process or does it have to mix for a while?

Offline cylint

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Proper Autolyse Technique
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
I don't have an answer for you, but thought i'd throw in my "technique":

I use a food processor to make my dough. 

I put in all the flour, the yeast, and the sugar, pulse that around a bit to mix it up.  Then turn on the food processor while i pour in all of the water (takes about 10 seconds maybe less).  I turn it off within a couple seconds of finishing pouring in the water.  Then let it sit for 30 min.

Then I add the salt (and oil if i'm in the mood) and turn it on again for about 30 seconds and i'm done.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »
IMO, an autolyse is unnecessary for pizza. You accomplish you need everything through proper fermenation time and develop flavor as well.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline cylint

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 06:02:57 PM »
Interesting craig...I have found it instrumental in relieving the elasticity problems (major snap back) I was having.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 08:16:03 PM »
I don't do a true autolyse, but do find a rest period allows me to produce a well developed dough with a fraction of the kneading.  I use the same super simple process for all my pizza dough.  Start with the water, then add the salt, then the yeast.  Mix this to dissolve the yeast and salt then add 100% of the flour.  Mix until it forms a ball.  Once it forms a ball knead it for a minute.  Let it rest for half an hour to hydrate.  Knead it for on more minute, divide, and ball.  Thats it.  No bulk, no reball.  Couldn't be easier.
-Jeff

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:02:30 PM »
Interesting craig...I have found it instrumental in relieving the elasticity problems (major snap back) I was having.

That's not a benefit I've ever heard attributed to autolyse. Time will do the same and develop flavor.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I just don't think it is necessary or accomplishes anything that is accomplished through (arguably) superior workflow.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
IMO, an autolyse is unnecessary for pizza. You accomplish you need everything through proper fermenation time and develop flavor as well.

+1 Craig!  I like this. You just relieved my mind.
Thanx