Author Topic: Re-attempt at making a decent pizza  (Read 729 times)

Offline pizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
Re-attempt at making a decent pizza
« on: February 15, 2015, 01:08:49 PM »
Few days back inadvertently hijacked Bisquicks thread. Apologies again. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36577.0

Starting a new thread now. I am based in India and pizzas are passion for me. Endeavor is to open a pizzeria which offers tasty pizzas. Till few days back was enamored with Neapolitan pizzas. However lack of equipment which produces heat as high as 450 degree C put me back and also the realization that probably that the pizzas I am attempting are more NY style pizzas. Made a pizza today which was very nice and flavorful to eat if I might say so myself. :drool: Sharing a picture of same.

Offline aspendos

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Re-attempt at making a decent pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »
Looks good.whats your bakers % on your dough?

Offline pizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 11:09:56 PM »
Hi Pete. I will try to summarise the approach we use for dough treatment. As mentioned earlier we use normal bread flour. In a lot of 5kg flour we use 20gm fresh yeast, 3000 ml water ( ie hydration of 60%), 125gm sugar, 125gm salt & 200gm olive oil. Once dough is kneaded we just keep it in room temprature which is approx 20℃ for an hour. When some fermentation has started we divide and form round balls of 250 gms each, grease it with Olive oil and put into chiller operating at 5℃ for a day or two. Thats it. This 250 gm ball is used then to make a hand stretched pizza of 10-11 inches.The Sauce is prepared inhouse using pelati pomodori canned peeled tomatoes. Baking is done at 300℃ for approx 2.5 minutes.

Aspendos the above remained same more or less with following modifications
1. Earlier used the dough minutes after taking it out of chiller. Now am allowing it to rest for approx 30 mins
2. 250gms dough was being used to make 11 inch pizza. Reduced size to 10 inches. Is that correct weight/size ratio btw ?
3. Earlier was using roller pin to flatten the dough. This time hand stretched it inside out leaving corners intact.
4. In a lot of 5 kg flour used 15gms of gluten+bread improver. Picture of improver with ingredients attached.
5. Previously used only mozzarella cheese (115 grams). This time mixed cheese as following 65gms mozzarella + 50gms red cheddar cheese. This certainly made a lot of difference to overall taste.

Sauce used was 85 GMs and this was baked for 2.5 minutes in 300 degrees preheated stone oven.

What else can I do to improve further and does this pizza fall in NY style pizza or some other subcategory. Thanks everyone

Rajeev

Offline pizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:01:29 AM »
Another attempt today..

Kindly suggest areas of improvement..

Offline aspendos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 03:22:37 PM »
Rajeev,

Take a look

Offline JD

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
Aspendos the above remained same more or less with following modifications
1. Earlier used the dough minutes after taking it out of chiller. Now am allowing it to rest for approx 30 mins
2. 250gms dough was being used to make 11 inch pizza. Reduced size to 10 inches. Is that correct weight/size ratio btw ?
3. Earlier was using roller pin to flatten the dough. This time hand stretched it inside out leaving corners intact.
4. In a lot of 5 kg flour used 15gms of gluten+bread improver. Picture of improver with ingredients attached.
5. Previously used only mozzarella cheese (115 grams). This time mixed cheese as following 65gms mozzarella + 50gms red cheddar cheese. This certainly made a lot of difference to overall taste.

Sauce used was 85 GMs and this was baked for 2.5 minutes in 300 degrees preheated stone oven.

What else can I do to improve further and does this pizza fall in NY style pizza or some other subcategory. Thanks everyone

Rajeev

I think your first pizza looks very good, similar to NY with a touch of neapolitan.

The cross section of your second pizza is really thick, if that is normal for your pizzas than it is almost a NY/American hybrid. A NY style dough using 250g dough would be enough for a 14-15 inch pizza. Check out the dough calculator if you have not already, I put in 0.085 as a "typical" NY dough thickness factor, yours is more like 0.15: http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-calculator.html

Offline pizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
Thank you Aspendos. Is that extract from The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemignani ?

JD your observations are spot on. The secret is inexperience in peeling a thinner pizza from granite slab :P I had a real hard time picking up first pizza (almost got converted to a calzone). Scared I kept my second attempt pizza bit thicker.

But thanks for pointing me in right direction. Apart from thickness anything else I can improve upon.

That brings me to another question. What is an ideal surface for making pizzas. As mentioned I have yet to start a pizzeria so still have a choice of choosing what to use for surface (granite, steel, wood etc..?)

Thanks again.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 09:06:31 PM »
Thank you Aspendos. Is that extract from The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemignani ?
pizzaco,

The extracted material is for a NY style pizza dough that Tom Lehmann came up with and was put into the PMQ Recipe Bank at http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php/name/New-York-Style-Pizza/record/57724/. What aspendos posted is different than what appears in the PMQ Recipe Bank in that it gives typical dough ball weights for different size pizzas and there is a discussion on baking the pizzas.

You may want to take note of the fact that there is an error in both descriptions in that sugar is mentioned in the instructions but is not specified as an ingredient in the recipe itself. What I believe Tom meant to say is that if the dough is to be cold fermented for more than a couple days, some sugar should be added. He typically specifies 1-2% sugar in that case.

Peter

Offline pizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 09:11:40 PM »
pizzaco,

The extracted material is for a NY style pizza dough that Tom Lehmann came up with and was put into the PMQ Recipe Bank at http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php/name/New-York-Style-Pizza/record/57724/. What aspendos posted is different than what appears in the PMQ Recipe Bank in that it gives typical dough ball weights for different size pizzas and there is a discussion on baking the pizzas.

You may want to take note of the fact that there is an error in both descriptions in that sugar is mentioned in the instructions but is not specified as an ingredient in the recipe itself. What I believe Tom meant to say is that if the dough is to be cold fermented for more than a couple days, some sugar should be added. He typically specifies 1-2% sugar in that case.

Peter
Thank you Pete for quick response.

Would appreciate if you could also look at my second query regards surface. And any other suggestions. Thnx again.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 09:19:59 PM »
Thank you Pete for quick response.

Would appreciate if you could also look at my second query regards surface. And any other suggestions. Thnx again.
pizzaco,

I am not an expert on ovens and oven materials but it might help others respond if you tell us what kind of pizza you want to make.

Peter

Offline pizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:24:57 PM »
I am sorry maybe i was not clear. Actually the question was on what surface to hand strech the pizza so that it can be peeled off easily with min fuss. Actually before pizza is ready to be put in i have jitters in peeling it from granite slab for not wanting to mess it up.

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 09:31:10 PM »
pizzaco, I know some folks dress the pie fully on the bench (usually steel), and then slide it onto their peel.
1. I don't feel confident in doing this, so I transfer the skin from marble surface to a wooden peel dusted with semolina. Then I dress the pie and slide it into the oven.
2. It seems to me that people who move the dressed pie are probably making smallish pies.
Charles

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 09:35:52 PM »
I am sorry maybe i was not clear. Actually the question was on what surface to hand strech the pizza so that it can be peeled off easily with min fuss. Actually before pizza is ready to be put in i have jitters in peeling it from granite slab for not wanting to mess it up.
pizzaco,

You might take a look at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23005.msg233262#msg233262

Peter

Offline pizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
Great. Just what i was looking for. Thanks Pete :)

Offline pizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »
pizzaco,

You might take a look at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23005.msg233262#msg233262

Peter
Just finished reading the post. Wow what a battle between wood and steel. The temperature in the discussion got higher than a 450℃ oven

Offline pizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 10:32:40 PM »
pizzaco, I know some folks dress the pie fully on the bench (usually steel), and then slide it onto their peel.
1. I don't feel confident in doing this, so I transfer the skin from marble surface to a wooden peel dusted with semolina. Then I dress the pie and slide it into the oven.
2. It seems to me that people who move the dressed pie are probably making smallish pies.
Good advice. This will certainly make job easier. Although i think its all practice and getting used to peeling off from prep table. Whereas i am still learning with 50% success rate my co-worker effortlessly scoops up 14 inch fully loaded pizzas. Practice and more practice needed.