Author Topic: New Sausage  (Read 4622 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
New Sausage
« on: February 18, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
Here is the sausage that gives me my great Chicago "greasy little squares". It has been mentioned on the forum only a couple times after I've told a few members about it so that is why there's really not much of any search results for it. Anyway, here it is and it's the best fennel sausage I have had since the early 70's. I've been using it for several years now.

Sold by Premio Foods in NJ. Unfortunately, they tell me they are only distributed in the Eastern half of the Country, but are expanding.
Buy this at Walmart folks...yep, Wally comes through again! Premio's website shows Costco and Sam's club also.
3 types available...hot, sweet, and mild. My pie's get the mild and it sure taste's good.  8)

Here's a pic of what to look for and a couple pics of the sausage in action.....give it a try!  :chef:

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: New Sausage
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
I enjoy Premio Italian Sausage at NY Yankees games. Schweet!
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY endorse CB's endorsement of this brand! Or should I say the SWEET version that I have tried.

It is very flavorful, and while providing a desireable amount of grease, it does not have the poor consistency of the meat itself that I find in other mass-produced brands such as Johnsonville.

My favorite sausage has been the HOT sausage at Fresh Market. It is not spicy, but it is has more flavor than their sweet. Now that CB turned me on to this brand, I may freeze me up a couple of 5 pound packs instead!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline kramer73

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:22:56 PM »
is that on your thin crust?  looks tasty!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:24:25 PM »
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY endorse CB's endorsement of this brand! Or should I say the SWEET version that I have tried.

It is very flavorful, and while providing a desireable amount of grease, it does not have the poor consistency of the meat itself that I find in other mass-produced brands such as Johnsonville.

My favorite sausage has been the HOT sausage at Fresh Market. It is not spicy, but it is has more flavor than their sweet. Now that CB turned me on to this brand, I may freeze me up a couple of 5 pound packs instead!

John K
Sorry if there was confusion in my message to you John...please try the MILD as well.... ;)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:31:49 PM »
is that on your thin crust?  looks tasty!
Yes it is and it is excellent old school Chicago fennel sausage...just right.
Makes for an outrageous Deep Dish "patty" too.  ;)

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »
Don't have this brand at my Wally unfortunately.

When making NY style, is Sweet or Mild more appropriate?
Josh

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »
What bugs me about many packaged sausages including this brand, is the use of dextrose and corn syrup. The family home made didn't use it and it was great. If you are lucky enough to have a local market producer who makes good stuff, please give them the business.  Better yet, make your own. Rant over.
Marty

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:15 PM »
Don't have this brand at my Wally unfortunately.

When making NY style, is Sweet or Mild more appropriate?
JD,
The mild works great. This sausage is very versatile and the flavor profile changes when you prepare it for NY style pizza. It turns out exactly like the "coins" applied by the guys from NY at my local slice joint.

I simmer(or nuke)it in a bit of water till cooked through and after cooling I put several links on the meat slicer and cut thin "coins".

For my Chicago pies I always squeeze it out of the casing and apply it raw.

Bob

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:29:05 PM »
Thanks Bob.

I said it before but that pizza is a knock-out. Way to set the bar nice and high.
Josh

scott123

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »
Sweet = Mild

http://www.premiofoods.com/real-italian-sausage-132-132-133-2.html

While, as far as commercial brands go, Premio has a good balance of spices, I think truly great sausage all boils down to the freshness of the meat, and, unless you have access to ground pork from a butcher who you can trust is using fresh cuts, then grinding the meat yourself is ideal if you want the best possible end product.

Grinding meat isn't viable for everyone, though. If you are going with retail sausage, I find the date is more important than the brand.  If my store brand sausage has a later date/is fresher than the Premio, that's what I grab. Beyond the date, you can see age in the color of the sausage, with older sausage being duller/more gray. Ground meat is a ticking time bomb.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »
Sweet = Mild

My local Piggly Wiggly has sausage (the brand escapes me) with 3 options to choose from: Hot, Mild & Sweet. I originally though sweet & mild were the same, but maybe it's different between brands
Josh

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
Sweet = Mild

http://www.premiofoods.com/real-italian-sausage-132-132-133-2.html

This is from the print right below that pic/link you posted.....

"Try the Premio Sweet Italian Sausage to make an Italian Sausage and Orzo Frittata, a Four Cheese Tortellini or delicious Sausage Skewers. Use the Premio Mild Italian Sausage to make Backyard Grilled Sausage Sandwiches, a Sausage Gratin or Sausage Stuffed Peppers."

scott123

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »
Bob, they're talking about the same product.  I can't speak for the rest of the nation, but here in Jersey (where Premio hails from), there's only two Italian sausages: hot and mild (aka sweet).

Come on, do I have to make you guys watch The Sopranos again?  :-D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »
Bob, they're talking about the same product.  I can't speak for the rest of the nation, but here in Jersey (where Premio hails from), there's only two Italian sausages: hot and mild (aka sweet).

Come on, do I have to make you guys watch The Sopranos again?  :-D
I know my Sopranos....and I know my Premio sausage too.  ;D
Jersey is just...well...Jersey.  ::)

scott123

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »
According to Wikipedia, it's not just a NJ thing:

Italian sausage

The two most common varieties marketed in US grocery stores as "Italian Sausage" are hot and sweet (or, depending on what region of the US, mild,). The main difference between hot and sweet (mild) is the addition of hot red pepper flakes in the spice mix of the former.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 06:24:49 PM »
Here in my little corner of the world; Durham,NC., Premio distributes 2 different types of these sausages...one is labeled "sweet" and the other "mild". I believe I would probably get beat up, badly, if I ever brought over a pack of their "sweet"(from my local Walter Mart) to an Italian cookout in NJ. And that's all I have to say about that... 8)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
According to Wikipedia,
Three words that should immediately cause someone to be skeptical...

I noticed that the ingredients and nutritional statements at the link Bob posted for sweet and mild sausage are quite different. For one thing, the sweet has 21% more fat!

I also looked at Johnsonville which is mostly what I see here, and I know sells both sweet and mild. The nutritional statements for their sweet and mild were more similar than the Premio but not the same. Johnsonville notes the difference is Basil in the sweet.

Bob - I really like the look of that pie. It looks like a pie I want to eat!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
I note also that the Premio Sweet has six links per package whereas the Premio Mild has five links in the package. Uncooked, the weights of the two packages are the same, 16 ounces.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:11 PM »
Three words that should immediately cause someone to be skeptical...

I noticed that the ingredients and nutritional statements at the link Bob posted for sweet and mild sausage are quite different. For one thing, the sweet has 21% more fat!

I also looked at Johnsonville which is mostly what I see here, and I know sells both sweet and mild. The nutritional statements for their sweet and mild were more similar than the Premio but not the same. Johnsonville notes the difference is Basil in the sweet.

Bob - I really like the look of that pie. It looks like a pie I want to eat!
Thanks for the nice words about my pizza Craig.

A really neat thing about pizza making in Chicago suburbs is that you will often see Mom & Pop joints selling pies like mine(but usually better)parbaked and frozen at a local gas station, quick mart,etc. freezer case.

About a year ago I called Premio and was told that they were only distributing to about a third(eastern part)of the country. As you know my sister is there in Houston and I have to ship this product to her.
Feel free to contact me when you are ready to give this style a go and I'd be glad to hook you up with this sausage if you'd like to try it.
This offer stands for anyone else here that is out of Premio's loop....I have a real cheap way to ship that I've been using and will get this done at cost. Not a problem...jus PM me.

Bob