Author Topic: New Sausage  (Read 3849 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: New Sausage
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 07:52:10 PM »
Thanks for the offer Bob, but with only a few exceptions, I don't use ingredients that I don't have local access too. If I like it and want it, I want to be able to go get it. I don't need any additional frustration in my life.  :-D

Frankly, after I'm done with the Johnsonville, I think it's as good or better than any sausage I've had in NYC or anywhere else.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 08:03:18 PM »
If I like it and want it, I want to be able to go get it. I don't need any additional frustration in my life.  :-D

Ahh, you are such a clever young guy....immediately saw through my plan.  ;)

Bob..aka.."The sausage Pusher Man"    8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »
Does NY style pizza sausage have fennel seed in it?

Online kramer73

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »
Thanks for the offer Bob, but with only a few exceptions, I don't use ingredients that I don't have local access too. If I like it and want it, I want to be able to go get it. I don't need any additional frustration in my life.  :-D

Frankly, after I'm done with the Johnsonville, I think it's as good or better than any sausage I've had in NYC or anywhere else.

After your done with the Johnsonville?  What do you do to it?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »
After your done with the Johnsonville?  What do you do to it?
kramer,
Craig is referring to how he doctors the sausage.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19393.msg201178.html#msg201178

Offline scott123

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 05:57:17 PM »
I wrote Premio customer service regarding the difference between 'Mild' and 'Sweet.' They finally got back to me today.
-----------------------

Scott:

Thanks for writing us.  To answer your question, the terms Sweet and Mild
are the same formulations for Italian link products.  For Italian sausage
Sweet is the regional descriptor recognized in the Northeast Corridor and
Mild is the descriptor in most other regions (South and Midwest).  You will
see Sweet in the other regions, but it is very different from Northeast
Corridor Sweet in that it has more Italian spices like basil or oregano...
we sell a Mild and a Sweet at Walmart .  I hope that answers your question
and thank you for your interest in our products.

John H   

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 9:05 AM
To: 'Scott'
Subject: RE: Mild and Sweet

I have forwarded your e-mail to our Quality Assurance Dept.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:50 PM
To: info@premiofoods.com
Subject: Mild and Sweet

Dear Premio Customer Service,

I have a question regarding your use of the terms 'Mild' and 'Sweet' on your
website and on your product packaging.  The mild sausage is a different
sausage than the sweet, correct?  Could you clarify this for me?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Scott

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »
Hopefully I'm not the only one, but I'm more confused now than I was before...
Josh

Online Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »
I agree! That explanation is hilariously convoluted!

I love it!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »
Premio's answer notwithstanding, the ingredients for the Sweet and Mild products are not identical according to the two Nutrition Facts. The Mild has BHA and BHT and citric acid. Not big differences, but still different. If the formulation are the same, or nearly so, then I wonder why the number of links is different for the Sweet and Mild packages, both of which are one pound. Maybe the more diet conscious consumers are in the Northeast corridor rather than in the markets where the Mild links are sold :-D.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:50:41 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline scott123

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »
Hopefully I'm not the only one, but I'm more confused now than I was before...

It's not that complicated. For Premio, Sweet = Mild.  For other brands, Sweet, outside of the NE, can have different ingredients (like the Johnsonville bastardization :P)

Offline scott123

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
Does NY style pizza sausage have fennel seed in it?

The simple answer is yes.

I have come across a no fennel version of store made Italian sausage, but this is an outlier that sees only occasional home use, but never in a pizzeria.  If you're in a NY pizzeria and ask for sausage on your pizza, it will have fennel.

Offline scott123

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »
Premio's answer notwithstanding, the ingredients for the Sweet and Mild products are not identical according to the two Nutrition Facts. The Mild has BHA and BHT and citric acid. Not big differences, but still different. If the formulation are the same, or nearly so, then I wonder why the number of links is different for the Sweet and Mild packages, both of which are one pound.

Peter, I have no idea why they use different sized links, but I'd venture to say that, since the Mild is being shipped further than the Sweet (outside the NE) that it requires a longer shelf life/preservation (BHA/BHT/citric acid) and that, in the quantities used, these preservatives are so insignificant flavor-wise that they don't consider them to be a different formula.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »
Scott,

That makes sense. The different number of links in the two packages may be marketing related based on regional preferences.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 07:17:02 PM »
I recommend the mild because here in NC, side by side, the sweet does not taste right for my style of pizza...YMMV. Heck, try it with the "Hot" if ya want...won't hurt my feelings.  :)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »
Alright I get it now. So for Mr. Bob and myself, we should stick with mild whenever possible.

Thanks for the clarification

It's not that complicated. For Premio, Sweet = Mild.  For other brands, Sweet, outside of the NE, can have different ingredients (like the Johnsonville bastardization :P)
Josh

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 03:51:11 PM »
I recommend the mild because ... the sweet does not taste right for my style of pizza...

Bob--do you mean that for Chicago thin, mild is the way to go?  Is one more fennel heavy than the other?

Cheers,
Garvey

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
Bob--do you mean that for Chicago thin, mild is the way to go?  Is one more fennel heavy than the other?

Cheers,
Garvey
Yes, exactly Garvey. The "sweet" tastes just like it says...a strange sugary sweetness to it. The other, that I recommend actually says "a mild fennel sausage" on the package.
I am still yet to try your sausage recipe but I definitely intend to make up a batch and compare it with the Premio.
My brother lives in Downers Grove and is able to get it. Try a small pack if you can find it...I'd really be interested in knowing what you think.

Bob

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 06:26:32 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  Will give it a go.  I had tried everything in the stores down here in NC years ago and gave up trying to find a real pizza sausage.  But this Premio sounds worth a pizza or two.

BTW, the one great pizza sausage I've found in stores down South is at Whole Foods.  I've had it in Birmingham many times with my buddy Dave (co-creator of the Pizza Factory recipe), and it was excellent.  The guy at the meat counter said it was a recipe from Chicago.  Tastes like it.  If you have a WF, try it out some time.  (I haven't tried it locally yet--it's across town from me and I'm too cheap to go down there...rather make my own, usually).

If you do make some from scratch using the recipe I posted but don't want to grind your own meat, I've had good success with pre-ground Smithfield from the grocery store.  It's no leaner than 80/20, which would be the leanest I'd use for sausage.  I've tried the store ground stuff and generic "ground pork," and they have always been way too lean.  The sausage just doesn't turn out right without the proper amount of fat.  So the Smithfield has been AOK.  Runs 3.99/lb or better on sale at all the usual suspects down here.

Cheers,
Garvey

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  Will give it a go.  I had tried everything in the stores down here in NC years ago and gave up trying to find a real pizza sausage.  But this Premio sounds worth a pizza or two.

BTW, the one great pizza sausage I've found in stores down South is at Whole Foods.  I've had it in Birmingham many times with my buddy Dave (co-creator of the Pizza Factory recipe), and it was excellent.  The guy at the meat counter said it was a recipe from Chicago.  Tastes like it.  If you have a WF, try it out some time.  (I haven't tried it locally yet--it's across town from me and I'm too cheap to go down there...rather make my own, usually).

If you do make some from scratch using the recipe I posted but don't want to grind your own meat, I've had good success with pre-ground Smithfield from the grocery store.  It's no leaner than 80/20, which would be the leanest I'd use for sausage.  I've tried the store ground stuff and generic "ground pork," and they have always been way too lean.  The sausage just doesn't turn out right without the proper amount of fat.  So the Smithfield has been AOK.  Runs 3.99/lb or better on sale at all the usual suspects down here.

Cheers,
Garvey
Oh, I'm sorry Garvey...didn't know you were in NC now. I am in Durham and went through the same process as you have here in NC. Tried everything! The WF in Durham was nasty...and like $7.99lb  >:(  Was making my own, nice course grind Chi-town fennel and then stumbled upon the Premio "mild"...I know , back home in Chicago we call it Sweet Italian Sausage. Been using it for prolly 3 yrs. now and am happy with it.
I believe I know how to grind sausage better now than what I used to do and still plan to give your homemade sausage recipe a go...it sounds real solid.
Thanks
Bob

Offline wesslock

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »
If you can, do some research into Smithfield farms , they have the worst conditions that they raise their pigs. Now i know that others may have the similar conditions just dont know about it. They cage their pigs and dont let them root  -literally drives them crazy. 

We went totally the oppisite way and raise our own pigs, so we make our own sausage.