Author Topic: Neapolitian with Caputo 00 blue label in home oven question...  (Read 814 times)

Offline caltheide

Neapolitian with Caputo 00 blue label in home oven question...
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
Ok, I just ordered a bag of Caputo Pizzeria Blue Label 00 flour because of several posts and articles Iíve read claiming this makes the best pizza.  I probably should have researched it a little more though because I just came across an article saying pizzas made with this flour  is best made  in a wood burning oven at high heat for only 90 seconds but IF used in a regular home oven (500 degree, 8 minutes) it should be mixed with regular flour.  It did not, however, say why or what proportions or which flour to mix with.  I would like to make a Neapolitan style pizza but I only have a regular electric home oven.  So my questions are:

1.  Has anyone made a Neapolitan style pizza in a home oven using 100% Caputo 00 flour and what were the results?
2.  Has anyone made a Neapolitan style pizza in a home oven using a mixture of Caputo 00 Blue Label and other flours and if so what ratio and which other flour(s) were used.
3.  WHY is it recommended to use a mixture of flours for home ovens?
4.  Did I mess up and order the wrong flour?

I had to order this flour on-line and even though the flour itself was not expensive when you add in the shipping cost in it just became a very expensive bag of flour so I donít want to mess this up.  Thanks for any info.

Offline I Have Feet

Re: Neapolitian with Caputo 00 blue label in home oven question...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »
I make what could be considered Neapolitan style pizza in my home oven, and I'm currently using a 50/50 blend of Caputo and All Purpose. You can see my current thread, which describes my dough formula and how I set up my oven for >2min bake times, here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23362.0.html

I am certainly nowhere near as knowledgeable about flours as others on this site but I know that one reason why Caputo doesn't work well at lower temps is that it is an unmalted flour and so it is much harder to get nice colouring than with malted, all purpose flours. I'm sure others will expand more on the whens and whys of using Caputo.

Brendan
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:13:45 PM by I Have Feet »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Neapolitian with Caputo 00 blue label in home oven question...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »
As Brendan noted, the biggest issue with Caputo and other non-malted flours in a home oven is you will have difficulty getting them to brown. I don't think Caputo is going to make a better or worse pizza than say KAAP in other respects in a home oven though it may be a little easier to work with. I've found Caputo dough to be more extensible than dough made with other flour, all other things being equal.

If you want to get the most out of your Caputo and don't want to mod your oven, you might consider using it in a method such as this:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11654.msg107375.html#msg107375
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10024.msg87446.html#msg87446
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan