Author Topic: NY Style Pizza-All Trumps High Gluten Flour-Guilty Pleasure  (Read 1378 times)

Offline boyd1008

NY Style Pizza-All Trumps High Gluten Flour-Guilty Pleasure
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
After doing a lot of research on this site I discovered the ingredients to make authentic NY style pizza.

I just purchased a 50 lb bag of All Trumps, Stanislaus Full Red Fully prepared Sauce and a 50/50 Blend of provolone/mozerella at restaurant depot. I really wanted to try and make a NY style pizza. I made two last night and they were awesome!! The sauce was great and the cheese was better than any shred I have bought at the supermarket. The crust was light crispy and perfectly chewy.

I belong to a church that has pizza ovens in the kitchen, we are doing a pizza night so I was able to buy at Restaurant Depot as a non-profit.

I am a strict vegetarian and pretty much eat organic, I also make a lot of Artisan bread, so buying a bleached, bromated flour I felt a little guilty. :D

However, the flour responded beautifully to handling, didnt tear and was easy to work with. I will probably add a little whole wheat in the future to give it some depth.

I used my bread machine on dough cycle to mix, knead and rise, then shaped into balls, let sit for an hour, then shaped into pies

Makes two big pies or four small ones

500 grams flour
325 grams water
10 grams kosher salt
1 teaspoon of sugar (Optional)
1 tablespoon of olive oil (Optional)
2 teaspoons instant yeast

Just wanted to share the experience with you all

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: NY Style Pizza-All Trumps High Gluten Flour-Guilty Pleasure
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
I also just bought a big sack of All Trumps. Mixed up a batch of Glutenboy's dough last night. It is taking all the patience I have to wait a few days to try making some pizza.

Between this batch of dough and some flour that I gave away, there should only be about 45 pounds left. ;D

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »
Boyd;
All Trumps is a General Mills brand of flour. The next time you get ready to place an order for flour from Restaurant Depot give them a call to see if they carry, or can get the General Mills Organic High Gluten Flour. It comes in at about 12.5% protein content so it should work fine for all but the most die-hard New York pizza makers. We use it all the time so I can say that it would work very well in your application.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline boyd1008

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
Boyd;
All Trumps is a General Mills brand of flour. The next time you get ready to place an order for flour from Restaurant Depot give them a call to see if they carry, or can get the General Mills Organic High Gluten Flour. It comes in at about 12.5% protein content so it should work fine for all but the most die-hard New York pizza makers. We use it all the time so I can say that it would work very well in your application.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom- thanks for the tip, I would prefer not to buy bleached flour. As soon as I finish the All Trumps I will definitely try and get some of that!

pizzapan