Author Topic: A New NY Style Test Dough  (Read 5174 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: A New NY Style Test Dough
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »
Thank you for the shot of the fold and the tip.
That's an NY pie!

Tom,

I am not sure what you mean about the shot of the fold and tip.  Maybe I am getting to old to understand.  :-D Could you please explain what you meant?

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
 Unless someone's in the business. I can't understand the secretness of a dough, that said, I also use occident flour (as Norma is well aware of) and make pies which looks very similar. My recipe has constantly been flour, water, salt and yeast with a long cold ferment, it always gets me where I want to go.  >:D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »
I'd like to see if the members can reverse-engineer and clone Norma's mystery dough based only on what Norma has shown.

Peter

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 05:40:41 PM »
Tom,

I am not sure what you mean about the shot of the fold and tip.  Maybe I am getting to old to understand.  :-D Could you please explain what you meant?

Norma 

To me, NY pizza should stand a slight fold and show the end tip just slightly dipping. One of your shots lets me see this. Perhaps because i am looking for it. Nice pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »
Unless someone's in the business. I can't understand the secretness of a dough, that said, I also use occident flour (as Norma is well aware of) and make pies which looks very similar. My recipe has constantly been flour, water, salt and yeast with a long cold ferment, it always gets me where I want to go.  >:D

Dave,

You know I usually am never secretive and always (until now) posted almost every step of the process, formulation and photos of almost every pizza I have made on this forum whether good or bad.  I have never minded before if anyone tried to copy anything I have done on this forum.  I will continue to share what I have done as far as making different styles of pizzas, so it can help anyone that is interested.  This forum and all the members have taught me all I know about making pizzas.

Since this recipe was given to me from someone that wants their recipe to remain anonymous that is why I canít post it.  I hope you or anyone else can understand.  I can post what sauce I used or my cheese.

I know you use Occident flour, which is a common bond between us.  ;D I think I am going to change to Kyrol flour for the next iteration.  I have always loved your pizzas and have enjoyed watching what you do.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »
To me, NY pizza should stand a slight fold and show the end tip just slightly dipping. One of your shots lets me see this. Perhaps because i am looking for it. Nice pizza!

Tom,

Thanks for explaining to me what you meant in your other post.

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
Great looking pizza once again Norma!  I understand that you can't share the secret recipe, and it's good that you're honoring your word! 

That said, I've never understood the point of keeping recipes a secret... even in a competitive situation, making money is more about running a business than it is about having the best food.  Just comparing Pizza Hut to your local mom n' pop will tell you that!  Not to mention that with enough time, money, and effort, it's possible to reverse-engineer just about anything in the world anyhow!  These folks sitting on "secret recipes" are pretty silly if you ask me!   :chef:

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 08:58:54 PM »
I don't know why, but I'm having a hard time seeing you have much fun with a formula you can't discuss with Peter.  :-D

You are SO right.  I love this post!   :)   

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 09:05:56 PM »

You know I usually am never secretive and always (until now) posted almost every step of the process, formulation and photos of almost every pizza I have made on this forum whether good or bad.  I have never minded before if anyone tried to copy anything I have done on this forum.  I will continue to share what I have done as far as making different styles of pizzas, so it can help anyone that is interested.  This forum and all the members have taught me all I know about making pizzas.

Since this recipe was given to me from someone that wants their recipe to remain anonymous that is why I canít post it.  I hope you or anyone else can understand.  I can post what sauce I used or my cheese.

Norma
OK folks...let's let this most valued young lady have a little fun.

No more comments about "secrets"....we all have them.  ;)  Stay on topic and let's help our Norma out.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
Great looking pizza once again Norma!  I understand that you can't share the secret recipe, and it's good that you're honoring your word! 

That said, I've never understood the point of keeping recipes a secret... even in a competitive situation, making money is more about running a business than it is about having the best food.  Just comparing Pizza Hut to your local mom n' pop will tell you that!  Not to mention that with enough time, money, and effort, it's possible to reverse-engineer just about anything in the world anyhow!  These folks sitting on "secret recipes" are pretty silly if you ask me!   :chef:

CDNpielover,

Thanks again!

I also can understand where you are coming from in recipes being kept a secret.  I know if enough time, money and effort are put forth it is possible to reverse-engineer just about anything in the world.  I donít think my test pizza will be included in that though.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
You are SO right.  I love this post!   :)   

Scott,

I can say I didn't get the recipe from Peter.   :angel:

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »
OK folks...let's let this most valued young lady have a little fun.

No more comments about "secrets"....we all have them.  ;)  Stay on topic and let's help our Norma out.

Bob,

I don't mind if members get off-topic on my threads.  I always have fun when I am making pizza.  The journey is always fun and getting to taste different pizzas is also fun.   8)  Different ovens do produce many different results too, so when I try out a new recipe, or even a proven one from another member, my results might not be like theirs in many ways.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »
This crust looks faaantastic....your deck oven runs at 525 correct Norma?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »
This crust looks faaantastic....your deck oven runs at 525 correct Norma?

Bob,

Thanks!  My deck oven runs about 538 degrees F, but it has different temperatures all over the deck and can change in temperature depending on how much the doors are opened and shut. The back of the deck is the hottest and probably is over 538 degrees most of the time.

That pizza was baked on my bottom deck.  The top deck is lower in temperature.

Norma

Offline DannyG

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
Norma,
This pie looks great, but so do all your others. But how did it taste in comparison?

I hope that the person who is asking you to keep this secret will rescind his request and in the spirit of this board allow you to share.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »

CDNpielover,

Maybe I am missing your point, but if I had a great dough recipe of my own creation, and I had a pizza business whose success depended on that recipe, the last thing I would do would be to reveal it. I would most likely protect it as a trade secret since copyright law usually provides little legal protection for recipes, and filing for patent rights and perhaps having to enforce them later are very expensive propositions for the small pizza operator. Suppose, also, that I was a lousy businessman. If I were to reveal my dough recipe, someone who is a much better businessperson than I, or someone with significantly greater capital and perhaps able to sustain a period of predatory pricing, could set up business across the street and put me out of business--using my own recipe. Individual pizza operator or big pizza chain, they both take--or should take--prudent steps to protect their recipes. People don't put their time and energies, and maybe even their life's savings, into something and then give it away so that others can use the fruits of their labors without compensation. That might happen here with members of our forum who share their recipes with the world at large, but it doesn't work that way in the real world.

Norma is doing the right thing. And it shouldn't matter whether the person who disclosed the dough recipe to her is a nonprofessional member of this forum or an employee of a major pizza chain. The person who gave Norma the recipe was trying to help her out of friendship and kindness and maybe to help her in her work at market, not to put the recipe into the public domain. Those in the public domain are free to spend their own time and their own money to try to reverse engineer and clone someone else's recipes.

Peter

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
Peter, I guess my point was that it seems like success in business was more about running a business than having the best product.  This may or may not be true, but you can buy crappy pizzas and burgers all over the place, but most people can make better ones at home.  Business is about making profit, not the best quality product.  It shouldn't matter if your competitor knows your recipe, because the profit all depends on how well you run your operations.

But yea, this was just a thought, I don't have especially strong feelings about it haha

:chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 10:58:28 AM »
Norma,
This pie looks great, but so do all your others. But how did it taste in comparison?

I hope that the person who is asking you to keep this secret will rescind his request and in the spirit of this board allow you to share.

Danny,

Thanks for saying the pie looks great.  To give my honest opinion about how the pie tasted is that although the pizza when cut right out of oven was crispy and i could heard that crunch when cut freshly, the bottom did get soft quickly.  The slice did reheat well though.  That is why I am changing to Kyrol flour for my next attempt and am doing a shorter mix time.  i don't know how a higher protein flour will change the pizza.  I do think though that a lower mix time might change something.  The exact flour used in this recipe was never revealed to me.  I would have liked a more crispy rim too. 

I really don't think the person that gave me this recipe will change their mind about sharing the recipe.

Norma

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »
I really don't think the person that gave me this recipe will change their mind about sharing the recipe.
Norma

Your word is everything Norma. If you were asked to keep it a secret you are right to do so.
Many years ago in the early '70's I was working as a technician and in the summer there were a lot of college students working at the factory. It was known that I liked to bake bread and they could see by my lunch that I had a fondness for whole wheat.
One day one student handed me a recipe and said it was from his Uncle. He asked me to never give it to anyone else. To this day I have never given it out. I learned later that it came from the Arnold family.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
Your word is everything Norma. If you were asked to keep it a secret you are right to do so.
Many years ago in the early '70's I was working as a technician and in the summer there were a lot of college students working at the factory. It was known that I liked to bake bread and they could see by my lunch that I had a fondness for whole wheat.
One day one student handed me a recipe and said it was from his Uncle. He asked me to never give it to anyone else. To this day I have never given it out. I learned later that it came from the Arnold family.

Tom,

Your story is very interesting about keeping your word if asked to do that.  I am glad you kept your word.  ;)  ^^^

I also believe in keeping my word, otherwise how could that person trust me the next time.

Norma 

pizzapan