Author Topic: Closer and closer to Pepe's New Haven Pie - this week bakes  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Re: Closer and closer to Pepe's New Haven Pie - this week bakes
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
Polish - Don't know you're process, but tell me if I'm close.  I'm seeing a bread flour along the lines of Harvest King unless you've gotten your hands on some high-gluten flour from GM or KA.  I guess high hydration (65% or above) from the airy rim, and also from the fact that those irregularly-shaped pies at Pepe's and Sally's must come from a loose, moist dough.   I see a full-fat aged mozzarella.  Calabro, perhaps?  It's been said here, I believe, that that's Pepe's go-to brand.  As far as tomatoes go, it's hard to tell much by looking, but that deep red looks delicious.  I'm guessing an uncooked to minimally-cooked sauce with minimal seasoning.  Salt and garlic...?  The rich color of the cheese says a little parm and/or pecorino...?  The color and char you've achieved in your home oven, along with the name Scott, scream baked on a steel plate.  I'll assume a drizzle of evoo pre-bake.  That's all I got.  How'd I do?

- GB
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:53:38 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline pp8082

Re: Closer and closer to Pepe's New Haven Pie - this week bakes
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 06:59:17 AM »
Please post your dough formula, and baking process.
Thanks