Author Topic: New Sausage  (Read 4461 times)

Offline camwell

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New Sausage
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 11:55:33 PM »
The simple answer is yes.

I have come across a no fennel version of store made Italian sausage, but this is an outlier that sees only occasional home use, but never in a pizzeria.  If you're in a NY pizzeria and ask for sausage on your pizza, it will have fennel.

That hasn't been my experience. Some NY pizzerias (the better ones, in my opinion) will serve fennel sausages on their pies, but many places do not.
Not sure why, but I've wondered whether it's because there's a sizable number of people in their customer population who just hate the taste of fennel. It's like with cilantro, there's a certain subset of people who just don't like the taste.

(Now, I'm not trying to address the OP's question about "NY-style pizza" - there are a number of different styles of pizza sold by places in New York. They're not all necessarily "NY-style.")

Offline camwell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 11:59:57 PM »
In response to the original post -

When I lived in NYC, I too enjoyed Premio's Italian sausage. It wasn't as good as the sausage I grew up with in the Chicago area, but it was the best stuff I could get from the local neighborhood supermarkets.

I've been living in Florida for the past few years and have found that the Premio's that I have been able to find here isn't nearly as good. Not sure whether the stuff I've found here is produced in New Jersey and shipped down here, or is produced more locally. Could they have changed the recipe? Regardless, it just doesn't taste like the Premio's I used to get and really enjoy. After four bad experiences, I've stopped buying it.

(I should clarify that I haven't tried any that I've bought here for making pizza. I've only tried it for eating on pasta or by itself.)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2014, 07:15:53 AM »
In response to the original post -

When I lived in NYC, I too enjoyed Premio's Italian sausage. It wasn't as good as the sausage I grew up with in the Chicago area, but it was the best stuff I could get from the local neighborhood supermarkets.

I've been living in Florida for the past few years and have found that the Premio's that I have been able to find here isn't nearly as good. Not sure whether the stuff I've found here is produced in New Jersey and shipped down here, or is produced more locally. Could they have changed the recipe? Regardless, it just doesn't taste like the Premio's I used to get and really enjoy. After four bad experiences, I've stopped buying it.

(I should clarify that I haven't tried any that I've bought here for making pizza. I've only tried it for eating on pasta or by itself.)

I am from NJ, just outside NYC in Essex County, and this summer my brother and sister-in law brought us out some Premio sausage.  I found the hot/sweet hot to be pretty good but the mild not very good.  I make my own from my grandfather's recipe that he brought with him from Italy.  He worked as a butcher in slaughter  house in Newark NJ and knew his meats.  Walter