Author Topic: Are mobile wood fired oven mostly just used for Neo pies?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Chaze215

Are mobile wood fired oven mostly just used for Neo pies?
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »
It seems that all the mobile WFOs are geared towards the Neo pies. Do mobile WFOs ever offer NY style pies as a business model? Is there a reason for this?  I have not seen any out there. Do you think there is room for a WFO offering  NY style?  Just curious. Thanks in advance!
Chaz

Online shuboyje

Re: Are mobile wood fired oven mostly just used for Neo pies?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
I think my feelings are pretty much summed up here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23475.0.html

To paraphrase, I do not think a standard wood fired oven is the right tool for cooking larger longer cooked styles in a commercial setting.  If you are willing to do another style in smaller sizes(probably 14" or less), or use a very large oven in a mobile setting it could work.
-Jeff

Offline dineomite

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:15:32 PM »
Size of the oven is the limiting factor. Neo pies by nature are small, so they're the most obvious choice.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
I won't be making NY or Neo pies in mine.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
Chaz,

Ev (Steve) is offering both NY style pizza and Neapolitan pizzas from his Airstream mobile unit with a WFO.  This is just one post at Reply 152 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21856.msg232734.html#msg232734 under Steve’s thread.  Maybe you could ask him questions under his thread.

The Neapolitan pizzas are made from sourdough and the NY style pizzas are made with IDY.  Both are great pizzas in my opinion.  Making both styles seems to work for him.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »
Norma, and how does he turn them out at the same time when the difference in temps for each style is pretty significant? Does he bake the Neo pies longer?
Shub, I would think a 14" or less ny style in a mobile setting would be large enough. Isn't that about the size of the mobile neo pies ? Are there mobile deck ovens?
Chaz

Online shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
Sure 14" would be fine, but purists would tell you that size is a pretty defining factor in certain styles.  Deck ovens can be converted to propane which would make them great for mobile use.  I know there are a few out there being used this way but don't have any names or links.
-Jeff

scott123

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »
The lower the temperature of the bake, the more hearth real estate is required to match the higher temp output. The neo folks can feed large groups of people because they're pumping out pies every 90 seconds.  To match them, you've got to at least double their hearth real estate, regardless of the actually pizza size.

NY mobile can work in a WFO, it just needs to be big.  It's possible that the size might push the weight high enough to require a truck rather than a trailer, but, at the same time, there may be a way to make a lower mass larger oven (like the FGM 1030, but larger), that can be handled by a trailer. The forum, when looking at mobile ovens has generally been very Neo-centric, so NY mobile in a WFO is relatively virgin territory.

Also, Chaz, one more thing to consider.  I have a few different paths I'm considering, but I may end up going mobile, and, if I do, it will definitely be NY.  If you do pursue this, there's a chance you might be competing with me.  Just letting you know  >:D

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »
Thanks for the insight Scott. I don't know what made me think of a ny style mobile unit but I figured I would throw it out there  ;D
And if u do wind up going with a mobile ny, I would certainly lend a hand if u need it. And....you can take of northern part nj and I will take care of Southern nj...no need to compete ;D
Chaz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Norma, and how does he turn them out at the same time when the difference in temps for each style is pretty significant? Does he bake the Neo pies longer?

Chaz,

I am sure Steve will answer you if you ask him under his thread.  I also will give Steve the link to this thread if he doesn't see your questions.  Steve has found a way to make both pies work in his WFO. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

scott123

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
And if u do wind up going with a mobile ny, I would certainly lend a hand if u need it. And....you can take of northern part nj and I will take care of Southern nj...no need to compete ;D

What, Chaz, I can't have ALL of NJ?  :-D

Seriously, though, that's very kind of you to offer to help.  If you do pursue this, I would be happy to lend a hand as well.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:34:14 PM »
What, Chaz, I can't have ALL of NJ?  :-D

Seriously, though, that's very kind of you to offer to help.  If you do pursue this, I would be happy to lend a hand as well.

If you do decide to go mobile, I would love to see what kind of rig you go with. Then we can work on taking over NJ with a mobile ny style rig(s)  ;D
Chaz

scott123

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
Sounds good, Chaz  ;D