Author Topic: Spinach and feta  (Read 1004 times)

Offline psilentchild

Spinach and feta
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:50:11 PM »
I would like to make a spinach and feta pizza. Could someone give me a good sauce recipe?

Offline Chi_Guy

Re: Spinach and feta
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »
This type of pizza could do well with or without sauce.  In fact, a lot of spinach & feta pizzas I've seen use fresh tomatoes instead of a sauce.  A standard tomato sauce with seasonings might in fact obscure the delicate flavor of the spinach.  You could also try a non-tomato sauce such as pesto or ricotta.  I once made a white pizza with sauteed spinach, ricotta, and feta that was fantastic.  If you go with a tomato sauce, I would use an uncooked sauce made from pureed tomatoes and go easy on the sauce seasonings.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »
I would probably try a very rich yet neutral cheese such a mascarpone with fresh spinach (not too much or it might wash out your pie - if you want a lot of spinach, you will probably need to cook it first and squeeze it dry), crumbled feta, thinly sliced garlic, and some fresh ground black pepper.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
I would probably try a very rich yet neutral cheese such a mascarpone with fresh spinach (not too much or it might wash out your pie - if you want a lot of spinach, you will probably need to cook it first and squeeze it dry), crumbled feta, thinly sliced garlic, and some fresh ground black pepper.

Now that sounds good.

Only thing missing (for me) is a protein... grilled shrimp or chicken. Yum.
Josh

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
Grilled shrimp sounds good.

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »
So you are saying pizza dough, mascarpone, spinach, feta, sliced garlic and black pepper and that's it?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
So you are saying pizza dough, mascarpone, spinach, feta, sliced garlic and black pepper and that's it?

I think that's where I'd start, but you could add more if you think it needs it - shrimp might be good?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »
I was thinking about grilling the spinach with the shrimp, garlic and pepper then add it to the dough top it with feta and mascarpone. How does that sound or would you do it another way?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:08:58 PM by psilentchild »

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »
Don't double cook shrimp... Put it on raw or grill it and top the finished pizza with it. Otherwise it will be like rubber.
Josh

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:13:54 PM »
Julianne the spinach and give it an EVOO bath with cracked black pepper. Lay down a swirl of EVOO on the skin, then hit it with a lot of finely crumbled feta.  Apply the spinach strips and get happy with the parm.  A final swirl of EVOO and about 60 seconds of high-heat love to finish it.

Offline psilentchild

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »
You are right I didn't think about that. I think I will do what I said and just add that shrimp after the pizza gets done.

pizzapan