Author Topic: Yeast  (Read 405 times)

Offline boyd1008

Yeast
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »
I was curious how much yeast people use. I have made dough with little yeast 1/4 teaspoon for 500 grams of flour and long fermentation and I have made excellent pizza dough in 3 hours with 2 teaspoons of instant yeast for 500 grams of flour.

To be honest I cant notice that much difference in the final finished product, both are excellent.

So do people use less yeast because of cost or is flavor from long fermentation really that noticable. In bread there is definitely a difference but I dont notice it that much in pizza. Maybe I should do a side to side.

Also do you all mix and knead and then long fermentation or do you all use the no knead method?

Thanks in advance

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
Most folks here look at the amount of yeast in terms of the % of flour. I.e. 1g yeast for 1kg flour would be 0.1%. You will find % all over the map. Both time and temp heavily affect the amount of yeast needed. The type of yeast also makes a difference. Generally speaking 1g of IDY = 1.3g ADY = 3.2g CY. Then there is sourdough - you'll see % ranging from 1% to 40%. Lots of variables to consider with yeast.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan