Author Topic: oils vs melted shortenings in dough:  (Read 838 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
oils vs melted shortenings in dough:
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »
i've been using shortening more lately as i get a much firmer, tender, crisp to my crust.   usually work my dough out at 64-65% hyd, before fats are added.  usually 1-1.5% oil, 2-4% if melted shortening.  seems that the oil has more of a 'soft, chewy' texture to the final product, despite me using more than twice the amount in shortening.   is there something i've missed on here that explains why?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: oils vs melted shortenings in dough:
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:50:18 PM »
Your observations are consistent with mine and others on the forum. I don't know the chemisty, but solid fats tend to make crispier crusts. You don't use oil to make pie crust.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »
I am a big fan of using shortening over oil in a NY dough.  I have noticed that I also get a tender but drier, flakier, and perhaps crispier crust or less chewy as you've noticed.  I will say that whether oil or shortening, I use the same amount.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
2 hour emergency (to you, not to me) dough

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:34:13 PM »
Your observations are consistent with mine and others on the forum. I don't know the chemisty, but solid fats tend to make crispier crusts. You don't use oil to make pie crust.
  :-D You crack me up Craig!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
Jon,

Tom Lehmann has spoken on this topic on several occasions. You might check out the following;

http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=6662#p6662

http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=38840#p38840

http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6110&p=38155&hilit=#p38163

See, also, Reply 75 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6480.msg64759/topicseen.html#msg64759

BTW, that is a good looking pizza. Have you posted the formulation before?

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
not yet, no.

100% BCBF
65% water
2.5% melted crisco
2% red star CY
1.8% mortons kosher
1% generic white sugar

heated water to 85, bloomed CY and sugar in it.   salt and flour were added to the bread mixer bowl, water was added when CY showed activity.   mixed for 14min in the bread machine until smooth (6min pulse, 8 minutes mix), let rest for 10min, removed dough, ripped into roughly 30g pieces, put back in, added semi congealed shortening, put back on until shortening was incorporated, and dough was smooth.   let rest for 20min, did a rotational stretch and fold twice around the dough, let rest 30min, balled into 3 equal balls (based off of 1000g flour for a final mass of 1701g) and one doughball was let counter rise.  i took this to my gf's work before i started dinner with the other two.   this recipe will not come out 'pretty' in less than 3 hours by my standards, but the two remaining balls did.   baked at 550, rotating two racks for two pizzas for even cooking

edit: i've had luck using about 1.5% salt and same amount of melted salted butter, has a richer mouth feel and marginally better taste.  i want to try butter crisco at some point when i have some  :-D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:07:22 PM by c0mpl3x »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »
Jon, thank you for the recipe. That pie looks real good.
It is very interesting how you ripped the dough into 30 small pieces and then proceded to add the shortening...is this a method you thought up to try?
Would you please help me understand exactly what you are saying here....(how long was your pictured dough left to rise)  thanks!

and one doughball was let counter rise.  i took this to my gf's work before i started dinner with the other two.   this recipe will not come out 'pretty' in less than 3 hours by my standards, but the two remaining balls did.   baked at 550, rotating two racks for two pizzas for even cooking

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 11:10:32 PM »
it was roughly an hour and half, 45 mins tops from the last messing with to stretch.