Author Topic: Can we have a "Thread origination date"  (Read 930 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Can we have a "Thread origination date"
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:34:47 PM »
Just wondering if it would be possible to include the thread originations date in the box listing the originators name/handle?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Can we have a "Thread origination date"
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
Just wondering if it would be possible to include the thread originations date in the box listing the originators name/handle?
Mark,

There are many instances where the person who starts a thread goes MIA and never appears again. Here's an example: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.0.html. Here's another: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8167.msg70317.html#msg70317. It might help Steve is you explain the rationale for doing what you propose.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:13:57 PM »
Mark,

There are many instances where the person who starts a thread goes MIA and never appears again. Here's an example: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.0.html. Here's another: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8167.msg70317.html#msg70317. It might help Steve is you explain the rationale for doing what you propose.

Peter

When I go on the forum I generally hit the "Show unread posts since last visit." button. From that list I decide which threads are of interest either by subject matter, creators name or in some cases the date the thread was started. Obviously in the current listing I can not know the date the thread was started unless I open it and go to the 1st page, assuming there are more than one. Sometimes, like today, there was a post re tomatoes in a specific location, could have been a timely subject until I opened it and found it had been started a few years ago.
No big deal, just a thought.

Mark

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:42:52 PM »
But if it shows the date of the last post(which will be a recent date)since your last visit and you click on it...isn't that current?
Not sure I know what you mean I guess... ???

You try'in to cause trouble around here again Mark ?   :-D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:45:06 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »
But if it shows the date of the last post(which will be a recent date)since your last visit and you click on it...isn't that current?
Not sure I know what you mean I guess... ???

You try'in to cause trouble around here again Mark ?   :-D

OK, Bob I'll splain it better! The last post date does not set the stage for the thread, time wise. If a thread was started in 2009 and left dormant till today, when an unlikely browser found it and decided to post a reply, then the original thread is a bit dated, may still be a great thread I admit, but I may not want to open such an old thread. :(
There are only so many threads I can absorb in one life time and mine is getting shorter by the day :angel:
in fact is that an angel at my door?

Mark

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »
OK, Bob I'll splain it better! The last post date does not set the stage for the thread, time wise. If a thread was started in 2009 and left dormant till today, when an unlikely browser found it and decided to post a reply, then the original thread is a bit dated, may still be a great thread I admit, but I may not want to open such an old thread. :(
There are only so many threads I can absorb in one life time and mine is getting shorter by the day :angel:
in fact is that an angel at my door?

Mark
See...there ya go...all the more reason to read everything you possibly can...young or old...!!  ;)

But OK..now that you splained 'er up real good an slow like for Bob, I appreciate your concern more fully. Unfortunately, I feel I must tell you, Gramps...it ain't gonna happen!  :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan