Author Topic: Questions on Hiring for Mobile WFO  (Read 982 times)

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Questions on Hiring for Mobile WFO
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:18:21 AM »
I've been doing the pizza thing pretty much solo for an entire year other than having a friend help me once. It's been pretty small scale, but I'm thinking this year's gonna be a bit more business than I can handle alone. Anyone have any advice on finding the right people for the job? I put an ad out on craigslist, but after getting some responses, I realized I don't have a clue what to look for or how to move forward.

What kind of crew do you mobile WFO folks have on hand, and how did you go about forming your team?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline pizzablogger

Re: Questions on Hiring for Mobile WFO
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:24:03 PM »
I've been doing the pizza thing pretty much solo for an entire year other than having a friend help me once. It's been pretty small scale, but I'm thinking this year's gonna be a bit more business than I can handle alone. Anyone have any advice on finding the right people for the job? I put an ad out on craigslist, but after getting some responses, I realized I don't have a clue what to look for or how to move forward.

What kind of crew do you mobile WFO folks have on hand, and how did you go about forming your team?

Someone like John has a much better idea.

What about asking some of your most loyal customers?

For my farmer's market stand two of my best helpers were people that liked my pizza. I asked them if they would be interested in working at the stand and their enthusiasm for the pizza translated into enthusiasm working in the stand. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:28:30 PM »
weemis:  You are entering the ever ongoing tempation that most all one man operations face.   I would ask myself these questions and go from there:

Do I really want to make more money by expanding beyond my capabilities and have to hire others?
Am I willing to cover for my employees when they flake out- quit- and work so hard it will not be fun until I find someone to fill their place?
Is this a hobby or actual finacial needed business?
Am I willing to train and then see them leave at any time(usually when you need them the most)?
Am I willing to compromise my product because help is not as skilled as you?

I have found from running my own music band for 25 years, touring around the world, that it is very rare to find someone else who shares your passion and will commit to the degree you would like.  Why?  Because this type of person usually creates thier own thing and the ones you get are hit and miss and turnover will be pretty steady.  I am now back to being a 1 man band (playing all instruments myself at once).   It is much less stressful because I only have myself to worry about.  Currently I run a commercial bakery that trains special needs students at a local high school.  I have a paid full time aide and she can barely pull off a simple recipe.  It is the one drag to my gig.   In about 10 years I am going to open my own pizzeria and do it all myself on a very small scale with 1 size pie and only a couple toppings.  I will work about 4 hours a day and make about 30-40 pizzas and when it runs out the day is over.  I have found the best people come to you when the time is right.  Anyway, I wish you luck on your journey!  Walter
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:55:18 AM by waltertore »

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
Someone like John has a much better idea.

What about asking some of your most loyal customers?

For my farmer's market stand two of my best helpers were people that liked my pizza. I asked them if they would be interested in working at the stand and their enthusiasm for the pizza translated into enthusiasm working in the stand. --K

this sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

@waltertore: "I have found the best people come to you when the time is right." I like this.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

pizzapan