Author Topic: Typical ratios for water:flour:yeast????  (Read 999 times)

Offline LazyFlamingo

Typical ratios for water:flour:yeast????
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »
I'm making a large batch of poolish starter for a pizza restaurant.  If I pour about 4.8 to 5.2 quarts of water into mixer, with about 6 quarts of water, approximately how much yeast should I add?  I'm thinking somewhere around 1 tablespoon or possibly less?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Typical ratios for water:flour:yeast????
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
What is the fermentation window for the poolish, and at what temperature will it be fermenting?

John

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
I'm making a large batch of poolish starter for a pizza restaurant.  If I pour about 4.8 to 5.2 quarts of water into mixer, with about 6 quarts of water, approximately how much yeast should I add?  I'm thinking somewhere around 1 tablespoon or possibly less?

Is there something incorrect in the above? Specifically, where it the flour for the poolish?

Peter

EDIT: Changed "correct" to "incorrect"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:34:45 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline LazyFlamingo

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
Fermentation window is about 17 hours.  It is supposed to ferment "in the basement" and the average annual basement temp here is anywhere between 65-70 degrees.  

Offline LazyFlamingo

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »
Is there something correct in the above? Specifically, where it the flour for the poolish?

Peter

Peter,

I don't understand your post.  Please re-word it...

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
Peter,

I don't understand your post.  Please re-word it...

I'm sorry. I meant to say "incorrect". A poolish comprises equal amounts of flour and water, by weight. I only saw references to two quantities of water.

Peter

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
Assuming your poolish is 80%-85% hydration, at 17 hours 68 degrees you might want to use .066% IDY or .2% fresh yeast. Maybe someone can convert the percentages to volume for you.

My one suggestion would be to ferment the poolish at a higher temp - 80 degrees would be ideal. In that case it would be .03 IDY or .1% fresh yeast.

John

Offline LazyFlamingo

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:00:37 PM »
Sorry, my bad.  

4.8 to 5.2 quarts water mixed with 6 quarts flour.  

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
LazyFlamingo,

The first thing I suggest that you do is convert your volume measurement to weights, using a good digital scale with a tare feature. If you are really after a classic poolish, as opposed to some other form of preferment, such as a sponge or biga, then the poolish should constitute equal weights of flour and water, for a hydration of 100%. Then, you should take a look at the Didier Rosada articles at  http://web.archive.org/web/20040814193817/cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food3_apr2004.htm and at http://web.archive.org/web/20050829015510/www.cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food4_dec2004.htm.. In the first article, you see a Chart A under the poolish section of the article. That chart sets forth typical yeast quantities to use over three different possible fermentation periods. Keep in mind, however, that the chart is predicated on using fresh yeast and presumes a room temperature of 80-85 degrees F and a water temperature of 60 degrees F. The fresh yeast can be easily converted to dry yeast, such as ADY or IDY, and the water temperature should pose no problem, but you will have to adjust the amount of yeast upwardly if you are to ferment the poolish at your basement temperature of 65-70 degrees F.

Whatever you choose to do, you should note the actual fermentation temperature and you should note when the poolish "breaks", that is, when it peaks and starts to recede. You should note the number of hours that it took to reach that point. That number, along with the fermentation temperature at the time of the pooolish "break", should be usable thereafter to adjust the amount of yeast for the next batch.

If what you intend to use is not actually a poolish, then you might read other sections of the Rosada articles for guidance.

Peter

pizzapan