Author Topic: Pereruela style oven  (Read 1672 times)

Offline jusapena

Pereruela style oven
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »
I have run across a WFO oven from Portugal built in the Pereruela style. It has no chimney! Does anyone have any knowledge or experience using this type oven for pizza?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pereruela style oven
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »
This video on how they are made is fascinating:

These are similar in form to the traditional adobe horno used by Native Americans in the southwest. A fire is built inside in the oven and after it reaches the desired temperature, the coals and ashes are emptied out. Loaves of bread are placed on the floor of the oven and the opening is closed.

This design is not very suitable for pizzas.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:12:09 PM by Steve »

Offline jusapena

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »

Thank you for your reply and great video quite a craft. Too bad it is a poor tool for making pizza. I found it at www.grillsnovens.com. It was in my price range and only 1.5 hours away.  :(

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »
I should say that it really depends on what kind of pizza you are baking. If you want to bake with a live fire, the lack of a chimney and the gigantic opening will work against you. The small thermal mass could be remedied with a built-in installation that augments the mass and insulation to block the escape of heat.

What kind of pizza is your ideal?

Offline jusapena

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »
I am currently making NY style but would love to explore/add Neapolitan to my bag of tricks. For me, both styles benefit from flame and smoke and I do love the char. I grew up eating pizza cooked with coal and now mostly wood when I am buying out What I can do at home, no matter how tricky I get, is just not (dare I say) pizza -to my taste.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
With enough skill and experience, you can finesse just about any style of pizza out of just about any oven. My guess is that getting the temperature high enough and the heat distributed correctly for Neapolitan-style crust is going to be a real struggle with this WFO design.

So many people on this forum have tried all kinds of different approaches to a less expensive Neapolitan result. Others would know about this more than I, but I think something like an LBE would be a better solution than the pereruela. FWIW.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
Were you looking at this one: http://www.grillsnovens.com/products/wood-fired-pizza-ovens/wood-pizza-oven-terracotta.html

If so, it's basically just the engine. You would still need to build it out with insulation and mass as it shows near the bottom. It also comes with a chimney or chimney adapter you can build in if you like. The insulated version they sell is a smaller diameter, so it must have >1200lbs of mass and insulation added given the weight difference between the two.

I agree with bill that it is sub-optimal for NP particularly due to the high dome. I think you could reduce the opening size when you build out the oven - it says the door pictured is not included.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jusapena

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Thanks, You have given me the nudge to keep on pushing. Steel/broiler method helped but I do miss that char. I may try your butane torch technique next. I have long admired the LBE and those skill sets are within my ability (I think). What do you think is a necessary budget to purchase a pre-manufactured WFO?

Offline jusapena

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
TXCRAIG1:
I am afraid that project is beyond me. I was looking at this one; http://www.grillsnovens.com/products/wood-fired-pizza-ovens/insulated-wood-oven.html

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »
What do you think is a necessary budget to purchase a pre-manufactured WFO?

The baseline reference is probably something like a 28" Forno Bravo Primavera 70 which runs $2,350 without a stand and $2,550 with + shipping which is probably another $500+/-
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jusapena

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »
Thank you:
I can almost smell the smoke!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
Just watched that video and I think I need to go get a couple vicodin out. What ever they get paid to turn those out it's not near enough. With all the herniated discs in my back and neck and their friends arthritis, building 1 of those would drive me to the dirt. Very cool video!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!