Author Topic: Monical's Pizza Recipe (renewed request)  (Read 4577 times)

Offline CU boy

• I Love Pizza!
Monical's Pizza Recipe (renewed request)
« on: March 08, 2006, 07:02:26 PM »
I'm from Champaign-Urbana (Illinois) myself and moved away from there in the 80's
everytime I visit I've got to have Monical's pizza,it is easily the very best thin crust pizza around.

I even contacted Monicals and requested they prepare and ship (ready to cook)
they showed no interest.

Was anyone able to get the recipe?

thanks, by the way,,I'm in Los Angeles and my first adjustment was realizing CA does NOT know good pizza

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the recipe

Offline Pizza Guru

Re: Monical's Pizza Recipe (renewed request)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 10:55:15 AM »
I have been an employee of monicals oh 15 yrs ago and so I know the recipe.  I am bound by a non disclosure agreement so I will tell u what I can in general non measurement terms:
 the dough is JUSt yeast flour and water
no oil no sugar nothing else
 it is run thru a auto roller twice
itis laid on a cardboard circle and the excess cut away with knife
its place in fridge for a day before use made mon am for tuesday
one has to wonder how much of that bleached white cardboard adds to the flavor :)
itis pulled from cooler and placed on cornmealed board
topped and sprinkled with dry basil
cooked in flat oven
sauce is canned tomato sugar salt oregano

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:27:55 AM »
Pizza Guru,

Thank you for the information you provided. As a new member, you may not have yet noticed this thread on the Monical's style pizza: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,600.0.html. If you don't mind doing some extra-curricular reading, maybe you can add some additional comment or observation at that thread on the content of the thread. Your post confirms what we learned at that thread, although my recollection from someone else who posted in the above thread indicated that some oil was added at the end of the knead, possibly by dribbling it into the mixer bowl.

I attempted to clone the Monical's style pizza and discussed my results at several posts, including Reply 23 (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,600.msg53300.html#msg53300) and a related post at Reply 27. Since I have never had a real Monical's pizza, I don't know how close I came, although another former Monical's employee indicated at Reply 44 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,600.msg55222.html#msg55222 that I came up with a pretty decent clone.

Peter

Offline cryan8181

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »
Test post. An 8" Monical's Pizza July 2013.