Author Topic: My Round Table Sauce and Dough  (Read 2276 times)

Offline wsonner

My Round Table Sauce and Dough
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:08:36 PM »
A member asked me for my dough and sauce recipes for my Round Table clone.  I decided to copy the email thread here so everyone can get some use out of it.  Please feel free to comment and help me improve my recipe and process! 

Wes

Here is my Dough recipe and processing:

Formula   Recipe (grams) 1 ball

Dough      
Flour           100.00%       410
Water           48.00%       197
Salt           1.75%          7
Crisco           1.50%          6
Sugar           1.00%          4
NF Dry Milk      1.00%          4
ADY           0.50%          2
Total                          630

First, don’t use a high protein flour. I use King Arthur All Purpose flour.  The reason is that this dough gets worked too much and with a higher gluten flour it gets really tough and chewy.  This is meant as a hand rolling recipe, I use a sheeter which lets me do more letter folds without overly working the dough.  All mixing is done on my KitchenAid Commercial mixer with the dough hook.

1.      Measure out sugar, yeast and water (at 100 degrees but no warmer!).
2.      Mix sugar and yeast with about 1/3 of the water in a bowl and set aside to proof. Don’t use it unless it “blooms” and becomes foamy on top.  Usually takes about 10 minutes.
3.      While yeast is proofing measure out flour, salt, non-fat dry milk and mix in mixer until combined.
4.      Add Crisco to four mixture and mix on high to combine well.
5.      After the yeast is proofed add it to the flour, along with the remaining water.
6.      Mix in the mixer with a dough hook for 6 minutes.
7.      Let sit on counter for a couple of minutes and then knead it into a ball for rising.
8.      Place dough ball into a proofing pan or large ziplock bag and place immediately into the refrigerator.
9.      Let stand in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.

When you are ready to bake take the dough out of the refrigerator 3 hours before you want to roll it out.

1.      Shape the dough into a rectangle and roll out flat.
2.      Letter fold the dough (like you would a business letter) to create laminations.
3.      Roll the dough out to the required size (this can make up to a 16” pizza).
4.      Dock the dough lightly in the center and more heavily around the edges.
5.      Top and bake at 495 degrees for about 10 – 12 minutes. 

Note:  I do flour the dough between folds, I’ve even tried brushing melted Crisco in between the folds. I’ve never measured the thickness, it’s whatever this size dough ball rolls out to at 15” to 16”, if that makes sense.

For the pan I use this:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-303749/cooking-with-calphalon-pizza-pan.jsp

Sauce:

Here is my sauce recipe that I think is pretty close:

12 oz can Contadina tomato paste (believe me, brand makes a diff!)
8 oz  water
½ tsp onion powder
1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
¾ T Hungarian Paprika (not smoked!)(this is the Round Table secret)
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ T fennel seed
¼ T fresh oregano (I use the freeze dried, same as fresh)
½ T fresh basil
¼  tsp fresh chopped cilantro (this is my own addition)
¾ T sugar

Mix it all up in the food processor. I let it run for 6 minutes. Then put it in the refrigerator for no less than 3 hours before using.  I take it out a little before cooking to let it warm up and spread better.  Obviously this is for more than one pie ;-).

Cheese:

For the cheese you want to use a three part mixture.  I usually use a 4-1-1 mixture, 4 pounds whole milk, low moisture mozz. 1 pound smoked provolone. 1 pound cheddar.  That said, last week I was actually in California and made my annual pilgrimage to Round Table.  I noticed that their cheese mix is a little heavier on the mozz than my mix so I will be playing with that a little. Maybe 8-1-1 or 6-1-1.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: My Round Table Sauce and Dough
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:47:01 PM »
Thanks wsonner.  I have very fond memories of Round Table when i was in college in Santa Clara, California.  We had a Round Table across from campus and whenever we could scrape together some cash we'd go over and get a sausage and mushroom pizza. They were great.  I will give your recipe a whirl one of these days. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline wsonner

Re: My Round Table Sauce and Dough
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:04:29 AM »
That would be Round Table on The Alameda, right? :-)