Author Topic: Donato's sauce clone?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Yeller

Donato's sauce clone?
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
I always would swear I tasted tomato soup in/as Donato's sauce.

I took 1/2 can of Campbells Tomato soup concentrate and 1/2 can of tomato sauce and mixed, added bit of garlic powder..that's it, I would sauce the pizza, cheese then pepperoni then come back on top with Italian Seasoning + Crushed Red Pep... Tasted close, Im curious if any one wants to try this and let me know what they think.

Sometimes it's the KISS method we over think.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Donato's sauce clone?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »
You're right. Donatos sauce is very simple. I worked at Donatos for probably well over a year (in 1992 and in the early 2000s). Not only is their sauce very simple, but it's also very thin (or watery). I've only attempted to clone Donatos once, a couple years ago. (It's documented somewhere on these boards.) With a very good foundation already laid by Pete-zza and some others, regarding dough formula, I was able to use my Donatos experience to build on that foundation and create a near-clone of Donatos. I eventually wrote a much more easy-to-follow blog post that tells you most of what you need to know about how to make a Donatos clone, with quite a few pictures of the two pizzas I baked using a single batch of dough.

There's a very good and simple Donatos sauce recipe at the end of my blog post. It's just tomato paste, water, basil, and salt.

pizzapan