Author Topic: Manufacturing of Yeast: by Red Star  (Read 913 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Manufacturing of Yeast: by Red Star
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:56:44 AM »
The science of making yeast. http://www.redstaryeast.com/science-yeast/manufacturing-yeast

There also are a lot of Bakerís Yeast Products, Premium dough conditioners, chemical leaveners, malted ingredients, yeast foods and replacers on this link.  http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/home   

Products  http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/sites/default/files/LYC%20-%20Product%20Sheet%20-%20Mar09.pdf

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Manufacturing of Yeast: by Red Star
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »
I requested a sample of the Red Star Platinum Yeast when I last posted here and got a reply from Carol at Red Star Yeast today.  Carol said that she would be happy to send me some sample packets of the product to try.  She also said one caution though, since Platinum contains dough strengtheners I may find that my pizza dough will be stronger and might require additional kneading or rest time to sheet out well.  She said she would be curious to hear of feedback when I try out the Red Star Platinum Yeast.   I asked what the strengtheners are and Carol told me the strengtheners are enzymes derived from wheat flour.  Carol said my samples packets of the Red Star Platinum Yeast should arrive in the next couple of weeks.  I wonder if I should try that yeast on a Detroit style dough first.  I really donít understand why the dough conditioners might require additional kneading.

I told Carol I would give her feedback when I try the Red Star Platinum Yeast in some doughs.

Norma

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:34:35 AM »
I have been experimenting with this yeast...... I think she meant it may requre LESS kneading.    

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »
Scott,  I am on my second round of dough with this yeast.  Is it just me,  or is it less active,  or slower overall than regular IDY.  it seems like it is half the strength leavening wise?  I am not sure I have found anything to like here.  You?  -Marc

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »
I have been experimenting with this yeast...... I think she meant it may requre LESS kneading.    

Scott,

Thanks for telling me Carol probably meant less kneading.  I didn't think yeast with dough strengtheners added would need more kneading.  How do you like this yeast so far?

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »
Scott,  I am on my second round of dough with this yeast.  Is it just me,  or is it less active,  or slower overall than regular IDY.  it seems like it is half the strength leavening wise?  I am not sure I have found anything to like here.  You?  -Marc

I agree completely. I made a 4 ball batch with this yeast and a batch with my usual SAF IDY, same flour, formula, everything. @4 hr cold ferment. The first picture shows the two batches side by side after 24 hrs., Platinum on left, SAF on right. Next is the same after 48 hrs. next is a pizza made with Plat and then one with SAF.  Both baked back to back in a wfo. I don't think I'll be messing with Plat again.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »
Steve,

Sorry that yeast didn't work out well for you.  I don't know if I want to try the rest of it now.

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:14 PM »
I used the Platinum in some rich doughs I made for pastries and it worked great for that, as a matter of fact, it worked as good as my Red Star "gold" which is made specifically for rich doughs that are high in sugars. Haven't tried it for pizza yet, I usually just stick with ADY or IDY. Don't understand why it's not working with pizza dough, as the advertising mentions use for higher rising breads! ???