Author Topic: Anyone Whole Tomatoes and Crushed Tomatoes?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Anyone Whole Tomatoes and Crushed Tomatoes?
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »
Well, one of my favorite places for pizza in Los Angeles is King of New York Pizza. That's abbreviated KoNYP. I could have put this in the KoNYP thread I started some time back but this is more about mixing whole tomatoes and crushed tomatoes  than KoNYP but with that said when I was eating there I see they had cases and cases of both Alta Cucina whole tomatoes and Full Red pizza sauce which if I understand it it's crushed tomatoes. I don't think the Full Red was the extra thick one but I could be wrong. 

If you have whole peeled tomatoes or crushed tomatoes why would you need the other. I mean if you have whole tomatoes like Alta Cucina why would you need a can of crushed tomatoes if you are gonna use the whole tomatoes or why would you need the Alta Cucina if you have the Full Red?  I can only guess they mix the two but what is the point of mixing the two together if you have one or the other. 

I love the pizza there. They have really good sauce.

Thanks,

James

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Anyone Whole Tomatoes and Crushed Tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »
James,

Sometimes a pizzeria will use a tomato product like the Alta Cucinas when they offer a Margherita style pizza where their regular pizza sauce might be inapproapriate or not what customers might view as suitable for Margherita style pizzas. I don't see a Margherita option in the menus of the two KONY locations but I do see the use of marinara sauces for items other than pizza, like heroes and pastas. Maybe they use the Alta Cucina tomatoes to make sauces for those items.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »
I have seen where a slice joint uses a combination of those 2 types of products plus adding paste and water. Stick blend the whole deal
I assume it is for taste and texture. They use unpeeled tomatoes and you can see very small flecks of skin and tomato flesh in the sauce. Interestingly, they use hardly any spices. The old guy once told me people didn't like the dried basil an oregano he was putting in the sauce and he now just uses salt and pepper. But boy is that sauce good...I could drink it straight from a glass. No joke. :)
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »
Peter, thank you for investigating their menu. You are probably right that they maybe use the whole tomatoes for one dish and for the pizza Full-Red crushed.  Or maybe Bob is right that they combine them. They make a good sauce. I do taste garlic in it for sure but not sure what else.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »
James,

One of the things that puzzled me about the KONY menu is that it says that the sauce for its Cheese pizza is a "homemade pizza sauce" (http://www.konypizzeria.com/food-menu/). As you can see from http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/Full-Red-Fully-Prepared-Pizza-Sauce.pdf, the Stanislaus Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce is a ready-to-use pizza sauce with many of the typical herbs, etc. The Alta Cucinas are just whole peeled tomatoes and a few other ingredients: http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/Alta-Cucina-Plum-Tomatoes.pdf. Maybe Bob is right that they are playing around with the two tomato products to come up with a "homemade pizza sauce" as well as something for its marinara and any other sauces.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
James,

After I posted, I remembered that Stanislaus has a second pizza sauce simply called Full Red Pizza Sauce: http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/Full-Red-Pizza-Sauce.pdf. There are many pizza operators who use that product as a base. They add their own herb and spice blends to it and they will sometimes combine it with other tomato products. If that is what KONY is using, then it would be easy to do things to it and perhaps get away with calling it a "homemade pizza sauce".

Peter

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
Pete, I didn't read what it said on the box so not sure if it is the fully prepared or just the Full Red with basil or just plain crushed Full Red. I now want to buy Full Red but probably the plain one or the one with basil. I almost want to buy Cucina but I can't have two big cans of whole peeled and crushed so I just have to stick with the one style and that is the Full Red.

I saw they had a business card on their register just sitting there and it said Jacmar. I wonder if they get their stuff from Jacmar who one's who own Shakey's?  I can say one thing that the dough is not made their they get Lamonica's because I saw some boxes of Lamonica pizza dough. Did not see those boxes this last time but before I did and I asked if they make their own dough and they said no, so that confirms it. So even though it's not a hand made dough like Luigi in San Diego it's a good pizza and I'll eat it again whenever I'm down that way.  Luigi is better but I have to say that KoNY is very good so I'm happy with them. Does not bother me they don't make their own dough since it's good.

I did not read the links you supplied in your post but I am going to now. 

Thanks

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »
Just checked the menu via the link you posted,  interesting they say they use Grande mozz. Most places don't make it a point to tell you what brand they use for cheese. Grand from what I read here at the PM Forum is highly respected so maybe KoNY Pizza uses it and let's us know it to give them some street credibility when it comes to NY style pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 09:44:59 PM »
Remember now...one man's meaning of "homemade" could be as simple as opening a can of tomatoes and sprinkling some salt in it.   "Freshly made in House!"  ;D

I now want to buy Full Red but probably the plain one or the one with basil. I almost want to buy Cucina but I can't have two big cans of whole peeled and crushed so I just have to stick with the one style and that is the Full Red.

Steve, I don't know if you have limited freezer space but I have had great results portioning out #10 cans of sauce into individual bags for the freezer.  ;)

Bob

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 02:06:49 PM »
Remember now...one man's meaning of "homemade" could be as simple as opening a can of tomatoes and sprinkling some salt in it.   "Freshly made in House!"  ;D

Steve, I don't know if you have limited freezer space but I have had great results portioning out #10 cans of sauce into individual bags for the freezer.  ;)

Bob

Hi Bob, if you mean me, I'm James but I think you meant me. No problem calling me Steve.  My freezer is packed now. I love cooking and I have all sorts of stuff in the freezer. I do however have frozen sauce before so you are right can be done. When I make some room I'll buy the Full Red, the non-prepared and see how it is. Thanks.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »
Hi Bob, if you mean me, I'm James but I think you meant me. No problem calling me Steve.  My freezer is packed now. I love cooking and I have all sorts of stuff in the freezer. I do however have frozen sauce before so you are right can be done. When I make some room I'll buy the Full Red, the non-prepared and see how it is. Thanks.
Yes you, James, I'm sorry bout that sir!  :)

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
Yes you, James, I'm sorry bout that sir!  :)

No big but I don't think I could get your name wrong since it's in your screen name!

pizzapan