Flour (100%): 445.42 g, 55% Caputo 00 Pizzeria, 45 % KABF
Water (61%): 271.7 g, 9.58 oz
IDY (0.35%): 1.56 g, 0.05 oz, 0.52 tsp
Salt (1.5%): 6.68 g, 0.24 oz, 1.97 tsp
Olive Oil (3.5%): 16.56 g,
Total (166.35%):740.95g, 26.14 oz.
Single ball 370.47 g | 13.07 oz | 0.82 lbs |
dough ball temp before fermenting 75 F
This post intended to document the fermentation process not so much the final pie, as I am still working out the baking process with my oven.
Thanks to TXCraig1 for the idea and method to ferment in a controlled temp environment, not a refrigerator. I have been doing 64-72 hr cold ferments but wanted to see what would happen if I changed it up a bit. My previous non-refer, longer ferment was 24 hrs. My only real concern with this new method, to me, was that I would use too much yeast and blow the dough, or that I could not maintain a constant temp in the 60 degree range.
I am using a Maverick remote temp monitor placed inside the cooler as seen in the pics.
My mixing process was my standard, put water in the mixing bowl, I used 100 F water, add salt and mix while I sifted the flour and yeast. Add flour gradually to the water and mix with dough hook for 5 min on speed # 1. Using a Bosch compact stand mixer.
After the Bosch knead come a hand knead for a little bit and then scale and ball, followed by fermentation.
So my plan was to ferment my dough for 48 hrs in a controlled temp environment. I used a cooler placed in the hall closet. The temps stayed constant at 61-64 degrees F.
The 1st 12 hrs however I had the dough in a smaller cooler with ice cubes and left in the kitchen. Overnight the temp in the cooler climbed to 70 degrees, hence the move to a bigger cooler and the closet. No ice needed.
After the 1st 12 hrs the dough had risen to the top on the container. I inverted the container and the dough fell out. I proceeded to gently stretch and fold 3-4x and gently reformed a ball. Back into the container and back into the cooler for another 12 hrs. At 24 hrs I again examined the dough and saw the same rise as before and proceeded to stretch and fold.
At 36 hrs the dough had only risen maybe 1/2 again as big as the ball. I decided to again gently stretch and fold and reform a loose ball.
Well at 48 hrs I took the dough balls out of the cooler and set them in their containers at room temp for a little over an hr while the pizza oven heated up.
Interestingly the opening of the dough balls was a little challenging. The dough wanted to close up a bit but finally with a little rest and coaxing it stayed put. Many many bubbles in the dough as I opened to form my pies.
The pies were baked at about 700 F for 3 min. The tops were done nicely, the bottoms, as I have been experiencing with my 2 Stone were a bit burned. The bottom stone on the 2 stone oven does not heat uniformly but it does sit on a metal plate that can be rotated.
The cornice puffed up nicely, better on the second pie than the 1st, and the taste of the crust was very nice.
All in all I think that my little venture into a 48 hr controlled ferment, un-refrigerated, was a success.
I believe that next time I will reduce the IDY to .3% or a bit lower.
Pics: 1-6 show dough at 12 hrs and cooler set up. 1st page post.
Pics: : 1-4 2nd page post show dough at 24hrs and reballed.
Pics: 5-8 ,2nd page post show dough at 36 hrs.
Pics: 3rd page of post, 1-2 show dough at 48 hrs, 3 & 4 of last page show cooked pie.
Thanks for looking.