Author Topic: Some pizza's from this morning  (Read 1066 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Some pizza's from this morning
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
here are some pies I made for a local cafe.  I aim to put my own taste on the classic NYC/Essex County NJ pizzaria's I grew up with/worked in.   I love the blodgett 1000 ovens.  For my style they are the perfect pizza oven at 500-550 degrees and are equally great for baking our artisan breads and bagels (400-450 degrees) direct on the stones.  Walter
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:08:16 PM by waltertore »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Some pizza's from this morning
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
Nice looking pies, Walter. How were they received?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
Nice looking pies, Walter. How were they received?

Mark

Hi Mark:  Thanks!  The restaurant is fairly new and headed by a california transplant.  He makes very interesting dishes which are nowhere to be found in our area of Ohio.  His clientle is pretty ecclectic  and open to new things.   He has been bugging me to sell him finished pies that he can reheat in his oven.  He buys various breads/baked goods from our bakery.  We bake all our artisan breads and boiled bagels (on water soaked burlap covered bagel boards) in the blodgett ovens.  I shared a pie with him a while back.  I told him I was concerned with reheating and quality issues from it.  Today I said what the heck.  Most people here in central Ohio have never tasted what I call a pizza and what they go for I can't call pizza.  They went over great.  I sold him 11 pies that I made in about 40 minutes with the 2 blodgetts.  I store them on top of the ovens and then shot them right to him when the last one was done.  They only sat for a hour or so in his place before they were gone.  It is a struggle here to get people off the conveyor oven, sysco frozen dough, premade sauce, budget cheese, and low quality pepperoni, used on evey pie made here in Licking County.  My prices are cheap IMO - $7 for a 16" pie that uses 7/11 ground tomatoes (with fresh herbs, fresh garlic, hand grated Pecorino Romano , and extra virgin olive oil), grande whole milk mozz/provolone (that we shred to specs in a hobart food processor), topped with hand grated imported Italian Pecorino Romano  and Parmigiano-Reggiano), all trumps flour,  and 1-5 day ferments in the cooler.  They are use to little cesars $5 stuff.    Slowly we are developing a following.  Being in a high school, only open during school hours, and staffed by cognitively delayed students, doesn't fit many peoples file for where to buy a pizza but I am a believer in the "if you do it right, they will come :)  Walter
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:12:43 PM by waltertore »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »
Walter, quite a story! So happy for you and the patrons who got to enjoy your pies.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »
Nice lookin pies.  You really need to up your prices though.   Or do you plan on getting them hooked first then dropping the bomb later?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:35:32 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »
" Being in a high school, only open during school hours, and staffed by cognitively delayed students, doesn't fit many peoples file for where to buy a pizza but I am a believer in the "if you do it right, they will come "

Amen to that brother Walter.  ;)

And 7 bucks is half(or better) than the going rate for your pies...and that's not even counting your better quality.   ???

Love what you're doing man...I see only great things ahead from all your efforts and that is no joke my friend...

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 05:26:13 PM »
Thanks guys!  I am up against a region that thinks $5 little cesar and $5 pizza cottage pies are great things.  The good news is our rent/utilities are paid for by the school district, I have no salaries, insurance, etc.   Our program is a training ground.  We are self sufficent with buying supplies, repairs, upgrades, new equipment.   I am exploring hooking up with a NYC Pizzaria owner whose wife was relocated out here.  We are hitting it off great and I look forward to see what becomes of it.   It is funny when I think about it all.  If I opened this business in a major food center we would have a big customer base but most would have their allegiances set in stone so making it would be tough.   Conversely, out  here it is like the wild west- a wide open frontier of creativity but there is little in the way of cultured palates to what I know as good food.  Most buy cheap.  Taste is a second to cost.  I continue to give out samples of our imported from Italy cheeses which we cut and sell for a couple bucks a pound above cost.  People seem to really taste the difference there and are buying the romano and parmigiano by the pound.  Luckily our main $ comes via making lots of hand rolled, boiled bagels, cookies, whole wheat pizza doughs, that we sell to school districts for student meals.   These recipes are simple ,forgiving and cheap.   This allows me to dabble on the artisan side and slowly build a following and groom the capable students to making the products the old  world way.   Walter
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:44:24 PM by waltertore »

pizzapan