Author Topic: caputo flour  (Read 940 times)

Offline tristanbul

caputo flour
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
I just tried to post a pic of the flour I bought at my local italian market. But it said the file was too large. I bought a kilo bag of "napoli antimo caputo, chef's flour 00" . I was saddened when I read everyones reviews of KAF italian style flour. I just bought a couple bags of it and made some dough. I was concerned about the low protein content but bought it on their recomendation.  We shall see how it turns out. Im a total newbie when it comes to making dough so any and all input is more than welcome. Im cooking in a crappy old "CALORIC" oven at 500-550 on an emile henry stone. I see a lot of you guys have wood stoves and can cook at 800 but alas I am a simple man. Would a certain flour, or certain gluten content be better for this set up?

Thanks, Tristan

Offline TXCraig1

Re: caputo flour
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »
Here s how to fix your pictures do you can post them: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23386.0.html

Caputo is not designed for baking at home oven temps. It's not the protein that is going to be a problem. There is penty of protein. The problem for you is that Caputo is not malted, so the sugar content is lower than typical flours that are malted, and it is going to be tough for you to get it to brown. You might try KAAP or KABF next.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline tristanbul

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:14:22 PM »
Thanks. I just noticed today that my local stop and shop carries a couple KAF flours. AP and bread. Ill give them a shot next time. I was worried about the protein level in the KAF italian style flour I bought.

Offline tristanbul

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
Yeah those pizzas turned out worse than using shaw's brand AP flour. It was hard, didn't brown. I just made pizza crackers! Guess i have a lot of reading to do and a long way to go