Author Topic: Resizing Images (too large)  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Resizing Images (too large)
« on: January 09, 2006, 08:55:11 AM »
If you're having problems uploading pictures to the forum (too large) then here are some tips.

The pictures that you take with your digital camera will usually be waaaaay too big for the forum. This is because the quality is best suited for printing and not for viewing on your screen. Yes, it might look good on your screen but the program that's viewing the image is making it a LOT smaller so that it'll fit!

So, to send a picture to the forum you'll need to resize it. And, once it's resized, you'll want to compress it to make it even smaller.

To resize the image, you'll need some type of photo editing software such as that included with your digital camera. If your software can't do this, then a third-party program, such as Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady, will do the job. If you're running Windows XP, there is a free image resizer available from Microsoft that allows you to simply right-click on an image and resize it. It's available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Regarding compression, most digital cameras store their images in the JPEG format. Since JPEG is the most common format and because JPEG does a very good job at compressing images, you should not have to worry about this.

The maximum image size (in pixels) that the forum allows is 800 x 600 pixels. If you use this resolution and use medium-high JPEG compression, your images should be under 100 KB in size (actually, they could be as small as 50 KB!)  :)

Steve

« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 02:00:17 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re: Help with uploading images
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:35:02 AM »
Thanks so much for that resizer!!!! :)

That will help me alot!!! :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Resizing Images (too large)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 02:00:27 PM »
BOT  ;)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:02:31 PM »
Yes this was the post I was looking for earlier.
You may want to stickey the little varmit!

I always compress my photo's but I have the high dollar program.
I believe there is free jpg and gif compression sites out there that do a nice job.
Here is a site, don't know how good it is.
http://www.freegraphics.com/art-gifjpeg-cruncher.html
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 06:45:58 PM »
Most computer geeks say the best overall photo manipulation program is Picasa. Google bought the rights to it last year and offers it for free. My experience is that it is very powerful, but most of all very easy to use.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 08:29:34 PM »
Most computer geeks say the best overall photo manipulation program is Picasa. Google bought the rights to it last year and offers it for free. My experience is that it is very powerful, but most of all very easy to use.

Awsome stuff! thanks for the tip!
http://picasa.google.com/
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 04:56:42 PM »
Most computer geeks say the best overall photo manipulation program is Picasa.

Except for iPhoto and the GIMP. ;D

Offline mykall

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »
My photos are 800x600 and less than 50kb but I can't post them.  At least they don't seem to load in preview...nothing happens I just see the text I wrote in the window and yet the photo and path are sourced in the attachment window.  Does preview not work for photos on this site?

Thanks

Mike

Offline mykall

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
Whoops, looks like I got my answer.  Funny thing is that I did not load the photo for the previous post.  Oh well, I'll get the hang of it.