Author Topic: Any Recommendations on a Vacuum Sealer?  (Read 672 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Any Recommendations on a Vacuum Sealer?
« on: March 24, 2015, 08:52:15 PM »
My Foodsaver has been on a steady decline with intermittent poor sealing.  I think, at this point, it is going in the trash bin.  The sealing heat strip seems to be a goner.

I checked with the Cooks Illustrated reviews from only last year and identified 3.  The top model they recommend is the "Weston Professional Advantage" ($240!).  There are 2 Foodsavers recommended with reservations.  The 2-1 is 199 (still actually looking for it- maybe a new model is out) and the more basic one is $70 (maybe 55 with a coupon).

I am not excited about getting another Foodsaver.  This is the second one to go on me in the last decade.  I really don't use it much so wear and tear would sound like BS to me.  But, 240 bucks is big bucks to freeze ribs and stuff.

So, anyone have recommendations on a great vacuum sealer at a good price?  Or any recommendations on what to avoid?

Thanks
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Dr_Mike

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Any Recommendations on a Vacuum Sealer?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »
Poor sealing or poor vacuum?

I am getting close to end-of-life on my second FoodSaver, but I use it.  A lot.  I cannot question that I got my money's worth.  But at the moment, the gasket material is a bit dried out, so it gets stubborn about sealing.

I run a line of olive oil over the gasket when it gives me troubles, problem pushed back another two months.

Bad seals on mine (from inadequate heating) tend to be either wrinkled bags, or too much liquid getting sucked up as far as the seal (rare, but it happens.)  I've taken to doing the following, especially for sous vide:  1)  Put the food in the bag, set up to seal normally.  2)  Hit the go button, let it pump and seal as normal.  3)  When it stops, _quickly_ unlatch and latch the latch.  Now press "Seal."  You get a second seal in the same spot, sometimes the little extra bit of heat fixes the problem.  For SV I will then pull the bag back a quarter inch and seal again, just to be sure.

Of course, if you're doing 20 bags, this is a pain because the sealer overheats and locks you out.  But I'm rarely doing that many at once.

Other than that I really have no advice, I'm on about year 6-7 on this one and it is still running.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 09:58:49 PM »
I am using a borrowed vacuum sealer, and was looking for recommendations also.  On one of the smoking forums, they recommended this site: http://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/VacMaster-Home-Use-Vacuum-Sealing-Machines_c12.htm  and the VacMaster sealers.

I was thinking of this one: http://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/VacMaster-Pro-140-876140.htm

Note that this site has repair parts for their sealers.  I always like that, and if you look on the smoking site, there is a code for a 10% discount on bags and sealers.  I haven't made a decision, and may run the foodsaver a while longer... anyone have a VacMaster or have a suggestion?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:28:43 PM by bigMoose »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
For what it's worth, I bought this Cuisinart - http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-VS-100-Vacuum-Sealer-Black/dp/B00EFE2W4E/?tag=pmak-20

It is listed as 100 bucks but I think I got it for 10 less.

I have sealed 2 or 3 packages - so far so good.  The bag cutter is manual - just sort of razor type thing they give you. It is ok, but the one in the foodsaver where you run it across is better.  It was a bit difficult to lock closed but that may be just me needing to get the hang of it.

In terms of sealing, it was just fine.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 11:03:45 PM »
eBay or Amazon has packs of 100 quart and gallon vac bags for not much more than it costs to cut and seal your own bags.  With the bags, you only have to seal one side.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 09:34:39 AM »
I get my bags on eBay. Cheapest around.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 09:46:42 AM »
I'm very happy with my Waring Pro PVS1000 Pistol Vac Professional Vacuum Sealer System.  However, I can't really attest to its longevity since I use it infrequently.

Offline stagpizzanewport

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »
Sorry about brining up an old topic, but if you haven't purchased look into minipak. Best on the market. Excellent customer service and warranty. Not cheap but it's a lifetimer.

pizzapan