Author Topic: Calphalon Non Stick Steel 9 x 13 for Detroit Style  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Calphalon Non Stick Steel 9 x 13 for Detroit Style
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
You'd think that most companies that sell pans would understand the science, but they don't.  I've gotten Lodge pre-seasoned pans where the seasoning was dry to the touch at room temp, but gooey when heated (ie, only partially seasoned).  If your pan was in a similar state, that would cause the sticking.

Is there any chance you burned the crust?  Another thing that would cause sticking is burning.  When dough burns, it turns gooey.

And 55+% hydration, is that normal for Chicago?

I started with a brand new unseasoned tin-plated steel pan. I seasoned it then baked in it. I think the reason why the pizza stuck is because I let the dough ball proof (or temper) in the pan for at least a couple hours, then I didn't move the dough around the pan before knocking it down and shaping it. Consequently, the dough kinda merged with the pan while the dough's weight pushed almost all the oil to the outside of the dough ball's circumference, which caused much of the crust to stick to the pan. Since then (or shortly thereafter), I always move the dough around in the pan before knocking it down, to redistribute the oil. I haven't had any more sticking problems (although it may have happened the next time as well).

I'd say 55+% is very normal for deep dish, at least when it also has 21% oil.

Offline purefusion

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »
I actually came across that article a couple weeks ago when researching oils for seasoning. Good read.

Offline purefusion

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2014, 04:15:28 AM »
So I finally had a cool enough night to continue with my seasoning inside rather than on the grill. Used the shortening as suggested, but mixed in a bit of sunflower oil as well.

First couple times, at 550° for 20 minutes resulted in some nicely browned color as shown in the first two pics. The next night I tried it again, same approach, but as a  result ended up with this cracked texture as shown in the last two pics. At first I thought it was flaking off, but it's not. Just a cracked texture.

Any idea why it happened our how to resolve? Since it's not flaking off I'm thinking I could just apply another coat and bake again, but not sure if I should bake it lower and slower, or take some other approach.

Thoughts?

pizzapan