Author Topic: Steel plate--did I make a mistake? Or have one made for me?  (Read 239 times)

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Steel plate--did I make a mistake? Or have one made for me?
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »
Hi steel experts--

Just went to pick up my A36 1/2" steel plates from local shop and when I asked them to clean them up and remove mill scale for me, they really did. They machine-buffed (or scraped?)  them and now they're shiny metal...Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? And if it's okay, what effect will that have instead of them looking like I see here..and should I also oil them and season them as I would cast-iron..or am I heading back to the shop to ask (and pay) for a re-make? I could use some good advice here from those who know.

Thanks!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Steel plate--did I make a mistake? Or have one made for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:47:07 PM »
The shiny could be prone to rust. I would simply wipe with veg oil on paper towel and cycle through the oven one time. Bring it up to about 450 and shut the oven off.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »
I took a grinder to mine when I first got them. My IR gun wouldn't read the shiny steel until it became seasoned after a few uses. As far as baking goes, it's no different now than it was when I first got it.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »
Thank you both--I had a feeling about the IR gun. Since reading CB's reply, I headed back to the fabricator and they cut me new pieces..they concurred that iwhat they had made for me could easily have big rust issues.   Luckily I live really close.....a short walk from the shop..though not schlepping A36 steel plates  in the wintry Jersey wind.  Thanks for the fast advice!