Author Topic: 12 X 12 X 1 Steel plate - what to do with it?  (Read 107 times)

Offline LPRANAL

12 X 12 X 1 Steel plate - what to do with it?
« on: January 14, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster, so be gentle...
So I have a friend that works in a shop that's basically giving me a 12" x 12" x 1" steel plate.  Currently I have a lodge 14" pizza stone and I'm looking to "up my game" in my gas 550 oven. Want to make NY style pies... definitely started noticing a deficit in thermal mass from what I'd like to accomplish.  What I've started doing is putting the lodge cast iron directly on the bottom of the oven (not the lowest rack, directly on the metal interior of the main oven chamber), preheating for about 30 minutes. at this point the temperature hits 640 degrees plus because the heat source is directly below the stone (Gas burner / broiler is underneath).  The problem is, as you can imagine, that at these temperatures with cast iron the bottom of the pizza scorches pretty quickly but doesn't have enough thermal mass to cook the pizza the whole way through. 

Two issues are preventing me from using this steel - I don't know what's in it or the specific alloy, so I want to make sure it's safe (gf is more concerned with this than I , although I am a little curious if there's 'unsafe' steel out there) and also the size. I usually aim for a 12" pie and while I'm pretty dextrous with a peel, I don't know if I trust myself not to dump part of the pizza over the edge. 

Should I just experiment with it?  Or could I perhaps place the cast iron on top of the steel, and get the conductivity of cast iron with the thermal mass of 1" thick steel (that would be pretty sweet!)