Author Topic: An Open Call to Ceramic Engineers- Reverse Engineering Biscotto di Sorrento  (Read 5691 times)

Offline scott123

Chris, that video is for a raku technique.  The temperature is too low and too uneven for your purposes. You can't do this without a proper kiln.

I applaud your initiative, but digging up some clay is not the answer.  Your best bet is to do further research on the clay used in biscotto, and then purchase a clay that matches those specs. For instance, if they're using a clay that sinters at 800 C, then you'll want a clay that sinters at 800 C as well.

Offline sub

Well, I' ll try anyway, I don't want to buy clay.

I can past the quartz inversion stage, in my electric pizza oven     ::)

Here is a video of Marcello Aversa, from his website he fire the clay at 920 - 1688F

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw4Qf9701S8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw4Qf9701S8</a>

I don't think he bought it, he's very traditional in his approach.

The biscotto must be undercook on purpose, there is no way they built ovens with a floor who need to be changed often without a reason behind it.

A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF MINERALOGICAL TRANSFORMATIONS IN FIRED CLAYS

Offline scott123

Chris, I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but you can't use your pizza oven to fire clay :)

Different clays have different sintering temps, but 800C is about as low as you're going to want to go. That's 1472 F.  Your oven isn't going to hit that, and, even if it could, it couldn't maintain it evenly over the course of a few hours.

Kilns are highly specialized equipment.  They're insulated in such a way and have thermostats that regulate the heat so that they heat up very gradually and evenly over long periods of time (a day or more) and then cool down just as gradually.  It's this very gradual heating and cooling process that prevents your pottery from cracking.

If you watch the video you just posted, almost every shot captures an incredibly traditional approach- from appearances, almost everything you see could be from 500 years ago. The sole exception, though, is the brief shot of the kiln. That's a very modern/technologically advanced kiln. I don't recall seeing any shot of Biscotto kilns- most likely because they're not as timeless looking as the rest of the process.  I guarantee you that they're using modern equipment.

You've uncovered some important pieces of the puzzle, but, if someone's really going to reverse engineer these, they're going to need some serious ceramics background and equipment.  No offense, but it's not you- nor, for that matter is it me. Over the years, I think we've had members with the necessary background, so, hopefully we'll get someone with that kind of knowledge again.

pizzapan