Author Topic: Seeking Blodgett Oven Advice.  (Read 1752 times)

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
Seeking Blodgett Oven Advice.
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:02:59 AM »
      I am looking to transfer my garage into my own little Pizza kitchen haven. I am going to look at a couple of ovens this weekend and was wondering if guys that already had Blodgetts had any advice? I am not 100% sure what to look for etc. I have been told that the ovens are in full working order, get to temp and stay, have had new parts put on...thermostat etc and are out of a closed pizzeria. We do have Gas in the house but will have to have a line run to the garage, which is a separate building, a pretty large 2 car garage. All the stars seem aligned right for these particular ovens. They are even "originally" out of my favorite pizzeria in town...which for me is a big plus. The double stack is a 1000s steel deck and there is also a 1048. I am thinking about actually purchasing both the stack and the single oven. I was curious if any guys out there that had these ovens at home had any words of wisdom or advice? I have noticed that alot of guys have their ovens outside... I was also curious about venting issues inside a building. I'm sure there are questions I have missed, but these are things I can think of now.

thanks,
Todd

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Seeking Blodgett Oven Advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:48 AM »
Todd;
Make sure you have a sufficient gas supply to operate those ovens (line diameter and pressure are critical). You may need to get an external gas pressure regulator for the ovens too. Be sure to contact Blodgett to obtain a set of installation instructions for the oven(s) too. Since those ovens put out a lot of heat you will need to consider some type of ventilation for your garage too, not just for the heat, but also for the combustion gasses and the fumes given off from the baking process. Be advised that this might need to be hooded ventilation ($$$$$). You might also contact your utility/gas company with the burner specifications to get an idea of the operating cost of those ovens. Ours take nearly 90-minutes to come up to full operating temperature, then you might spend another hour baking pizzas so figure on at least 2.5 full hours of operating time to use the oven to bake your pizzas.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »
Tom,

Thanks so much... I will check on all these points... greatly appreciated.

Todd

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
Tom,

If I HAD to make a choice between the Blodgett 1000s stack or the Blodgett 1048, is there a preference? I am wanting to make a variety of pies and not just a certain style... I would be making Deep Dish, Chicago Thin and NY style. Judging by pics and his info both seem to be in around the same shape....I wasn't sure if there was a preference between those 2 models in general.

thanks again for your advice,it is greatly appreciated.
Todd

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:56:40 AM »
Todd;
I can't remember working with an 1100 series Blodgett oven, but I have worked with enough 1048 series ovens to say that they are, in my opinion, a great pizza oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
Thanks Tom for the Info... it is much appreciated.

Todd

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
I have 2 blodgett 1000's stacked with stone decks.  They are great for pizzas, bagels, and artisan breads.   I teach in a high school that is brand new.   I was part of the design team for my room and the company that supplied all the new commercial appliances-venting system, floor, tables, mixers, sinks, etc, (the blodgetts are from 1976) is a friend.   He told me that people contact his company all the time about putting commercial kitchen stuff in their exisiting and new home plans.   He said that for a licensed vendor/service person to install or work on one in a home, the home must be up to commercial standards  and if they are called in to service on one that is not up to the standards remove it.  He also told me of people who have designed a new home to commercial specs just to have their kitchen!  Like Tom said, make sure you have enough gas pressure and they put out a lot of heat.   They are 120,000 btu's each.  I wonder if dealing with the gas company would raise a red flag and being a detached garage make things different/exempt??  As far as working on them, it is no sweat.  A monkey wrench, screwdriver, channel lock, a couple open end wrenches are all that is needed to replace most every part.  Kind of like being able to work on an old car with a basic tool kit...........  Most of them need the gas safety valve/thermal coupler replaced from the non servicable mercury original to a magnetic retro part(the red button you have to hold to light the pilot.   I could easily work on my ovens but have to have a licensed repair person do it.   They are set up for easy access for repair/replacement parts.   I prefer the stone to steel decks.   For home use the 1048 would be more than you would ever need.  .I can tell  you once you get to using one the home oven will never satify you again!  Walter

PS:  Blodget sells an inexpensive propane converion kit.   Tha might be  something to look into to.  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:14:37 PM by waltertore »

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
Thanks, I will definitely look into that..

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 07:38:18 AM »
Hello there, I was wondering if someone in this thread has noticed a difference in the amount of smoke released by cornmeal when using stone vs. steel decks? I currently use a blodgett oven with a steel deck and if any cornmeal is left on the steel deck it starts to smoke in a matter of minutes. It depends on the temp of the oven of course, I like to bake at around 600.

pizzapan