Author Topic: VT Pepperoni!  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Re: VT Pepperoni!
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
Why thank you.... so do I.  :)
I do hope your daughter is getting better though.

Bob,

Thank you, she is!  Part common cold, part altitude sickness, part PRINCESS!

I am still working out the baker % recipe! :-D

John K

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
Good to hear John...I know she did not want to have to spend the vacation inside.

Last time I checked my grandparenting folder it said equal parts of sugar, spice, and everything nice.   ;D
Enjoy your stay, weather back home here in NC is a real drag right now as you may know.  >:(
You lucky dog!  8)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 12:29:12 AM »
Good to hear John...I know she did not want to have to spend the vacation inside.

Last time I checked my grandparenting folder it said equal parts of sugar, spice, and everything nice.   ;D
Enjoy your stay, weather back home here in NC is a real drag right now as you may know.  >:(
You lucky dog!  8)

Bob

Yah,

I got multiple cancellation notices from Cape Fear Lacrosse so,I figured the weather was 💩

John K

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
This pepperoni is damn good. Why was it discontinued at world market? Is the company gone?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 12:03:16 AM »
This pepperoni is damn good. Why was it discontinued at world market? Is the company gone?

I think it was probably a one-time buy VT used to blow out some excess inventory. That sort of thing seems pretty common at World Market. I don't believe it was ever a regularly stocked item.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »
I have never seen it there, and I hit them 3 or 4 times a year for beer and chocolates.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »
The strangest thing I've encountered is here in Wilmington NC the
Whole Foods carries every VT Smoke and Cure product EXCEPT the pepperoni.  The manager was very willing to special order it for me but has no intention of adding it to their regularly stocked items?!?!

Prior to 2 months ago I had never seen it at World Market either.

John K

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »
Whole Foods carries every VT Smoke and Cure product EXCEPT the pepperoni.  The manager was very willing to special order it for me but has no intention of adding it to their regularly stocked items?!?!

John - I believe it is because the pepperoni contains sodium nitrite and other additives, whereas the other products do not.

John

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
Has anyone tried this VT pepperoni? No nitrates. I think this company was in RI.
http://www.fortunasausage.com/All_Natural_Pepperoni_p/np.htm
Marty

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2013, 09:18:46 PM »
I think this company was in RI.

Wouldn't that make it RI pepperoni, instead of VT (Vermont) pepperoni?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
Current home Sandgate VT, but you may have a point.  I see a lot of references to Greenville RI. Starting to wonder if it's made in RI, but the company operates from VT, for some type of business reason.
Marty

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 12:12:43 AM »
John - I believe it is because the pepperoni contains sodium nitrite and other additives, whereas the other products do not.

John

Very interesting! During the course of my search I did come across a decent looking stick of "no nitrate" pepperoni which I did not buy simply b/c I am lousy with pepperoni at the moment!

John K

Offline chaspie

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2013, 12:47:41 AM »
Did the list of ingredients in the "no nitrite / nitrate" pepperoni contain celery powder or celery juice?  If so, then that is the source of the nitrates in the pepperoni that are necessary to prevent the proliferation of Clostridium botulinum during the curing process.  A pepperoni or other dry-cured sausage made with no source of nitrate may not be safe to eat.  The nitrate is probably there in most of those "no nitrite / nitrate added" products.  It's just coming from natural vegetable sources rather than from a curing salt that has nitrite or nitrate added to it.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 12:07:55 AM »
Did the list of ingredients in the "no nitrite / nitrate" pepperoni contain celery powder or celery juice?  If so, then that is the source of the nitrates in the pepperoni that are necessary to prevent the proliferation of Clostridium botulinum during the curing process.  A pepperoni or other dry-cured sausage made with no source of nitrate may not be safe to eat.  The nitrate is probably there in most of those "no nitrite / nitrate added" products.  It's just coming from natural vegetable sources rather than from a curing salt that has nitrite or nitrate added to it.

I will check on that!

However I must say that I am more worried about contracting Bubonic Plague than botulism, given the numbers in the US each year:

In the United States an average of 145 cases of botulism are reported each year.   Of these, approximately 15 percent are foodborne, 65 percent are infant botulism, and the rest are wound botulism.

http://www.deschutes.org/Media-Releases/Botulism-in-3-People-Caused-by-Home-Canned-Food.aspx

John K