Author Topic: Docking  (Read 515 times)

Offline LD

Docking
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »
How do you determine when a dough should be docked. 

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Docking
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
I think it would help me, and possibly others, what this question is in relation to. Is it a particular type of pizza?
Marty

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »

LD,

It varies, and for somewhat different reasons. For example, many skins intended to be used to make thin-crusted cracker-style pizzas are frequently docked. Also, skins that are to be pre-baked/par-baked before completing are usually docked. Typically, you will find that the skins for the above applications are formed by commercial sheeter/rollers, or by rolling pins in a home environment.

Some pizza operators will also dock skins intended to be used to make other styles of pizzas. For example, Papa John's docks all of its doughs for its American style pizzas. Others will often dock their doughs when they want or have to work their dough when cold. As with the other examples, that is to reduce or minimize large bubbles forming in the finished crusts.

Peter

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
docking is for preventing air bubbles.  if you're not having a problem with bubbles, or you like bubbles, don't worry about docking.   :chef:

EDIT:  pete beat me to it, but gave a much more thorough response (as usual).   :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:35:20 PM by CDNpielover »