Author Topic: Swirl of extra virgin olive oil ???  (Read 3006 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Swirl of extra virgin olive oil ???
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »
In one of the recipes on-line and while visiting a pizzeria that uses a WFO, I noticed that they poured a swirl of Extra Virgin Olive Oil onto the pizza before placing it in the oven. Is this because it is going into the High Heat oven at 600 degrees plus or is it just added for flavor?

Does anyone else do this to their pizza? Just curious to hear opinions since i have not tried this.

Smashed Tomato Sauce
1 can (28 oz) San Marzano tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of oregano

Options
1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons of fresh basil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil don't forget to swirl excellent extra virgin olive oil on your pizza right before you put it in the oven

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizza_sauce_recipe.html

Offline grathan

Re: Swirl of extra virgin olive oil ???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »
I would personally rather add oil to the sauce or the pan, but if both of those are oiled well and the cheese isn't adding too much oil (I love greasy pizza btw) I swirl it on top.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
I swirl on all my pies, unless I forget. Funny how you can have all the ingredients before you and forget one, or two.
I think that I remember reading here that the oil helps the cheese, can't remember specifically. I do like the taste tho.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »
It's pretty traditional. Good olive oil pre bake is a wast IMO, I finish with it instead.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
On a pie like a Margherita, it's indispensable.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:50:11 PM »
I give a nice thin stream in a spiral pre-bake. I find it blends with the sauce and cheese... even with a 2-3 minute high-temp pie

I use Costco Kirkland's Signature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Virgin-Liters-Product/dp/B0027EOTKO/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I use a condiment bottle to get a nice thin and even stream...

http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Chefs-Squeeze-Bottles/dp/B007OM9W2E/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »
Qarl,

I use Kirkland Signature Extra Virgin Olive Oil too. Sometimes, I use the Organic KS EVOO as well. However, the 2 Liter bottle is only $11.89 in most Costco Warehouses. Unless you live far away, it is worth shopping in the warehouse rather than buying it on-line.

TomN
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:36:09 PM by TomN »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 06:57:16 PM »
I always drizzle some oil over the pie pre-bake; and I have to disagree about the quality being wasted if it's applied in this manner.  I can definitely taste the difference.  BTW, expensive doesn't necessarily win points in my book.  One my favorite evoo's is Santini, which can be bought under its own name at Cost Plus World Market for about $9.00 for a wine-sized bottle OR at Trader Joe's, rebranded, for less $$ in an even larger bottle.  It's got a savory, buttery texture that makes you want to mop up the runoff with the crust.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:10:21 PM »
Qarl,

I use Kirkland Signature Extra Virgin Olive Oil too. Sometimes, I use the Organic KS EVOO as well. However, the 2 Liter bottle is only $11.89 in most Costco Warehouses. Unless you live far away, it is worth shopping in the warehouse rather than buying it on-line.

TomN

Yeah, I buy it at the warehouse too. I just coudln't find a link on the Costco site to post... LOL

:chef:

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:08 AM »
Jeff and Craig,

Is the high heat of the oven really enough to destroy the integrity of the olive oil for the brief time it cooks in the oven? I've actually been learning a bit more about olive oil (fruitiness, olive varieties, pairing the two with food) and should I purchase a pretty good EVOO I would not want the unique taste and quality to change in the oven.

It's pretty traditional. Good olive oil pre bake is a wast IMO, I finish with it instead.

Online jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 01:01:42 AM »
Jeff and Craig,

Is the high heat of the oven really enough to destroy the integrity of the olive oil for the brief time it cooks in the oven? I've actually been learning a bit more about olive oil (fruitiness, olive varieties, pairing the two with food) and should I purchase a pretty good EVOO I would not want the unique taste and quality to change in the oven.

I think it clearly effects it. If you've been trying different oils you can see some of the different flavors and complexities that are out there. If how long it sits in the bottle effects flavor, an oven surely will too. Maybe some people like that effect on a really good oil, I don't.

That being said I do use oil pre bake sometimes cause I enjoy I t also. 70-80% of the time I finish with a high quality oil and 20-30 I add a decent evo (Costco) before baking.

Different strokes.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:17:12 AM »
Jeff and Craig,

I'm going to take the other view. I prefer it pre-bake as it incorporates into the pie rather than just sitting there in drops and puddles. I don't think the heat has a deleterious effect on the flavor, and I think the choice of oil does matter. I choose an oil that has a buttery flavor with fruity olive undertones. Grassy and peppery olive oils don't work for me. The butteryness really makes a good mozz pop, and the fruit adds an element that is a natural fit with both the cheese the tomato. On a pie like the fresh mozz, chive, and evoo (credit: John D's brilliant Doppia bufala con erbe) I make most every bake, the flavors from the right oil is as important as any other on the pie. I first noticed the importance of good EVOO white eating a Margherita at UPN in NYC. It was one of the key differences that separated the pie from others I'd had.

On most pies, I don't think the oil can get all that hot. It's flat on the surface - not sticking up unprotected into the oven, and the surface is generally pretty wet thus limited to how hot it can get. The oil is largely insulated from the intense heat. I could be wrong, but doubt it if gets much over 212F.
Pizza is not bread.

Online jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »
I thought I saw somewhere that Da Michelle uses a seed oil or other lite oil and notice quite a few places do that across styles as well. This leads me to believe it's more for what it does to the pizza rather than how it flavors it.  In my making of flavored oils I noticed that any heat over 100-120 effects flavor and aroma and taste.

For me the aroma and flavor fresh olive oil hitting a just out of the oven pizza is best. I say try both ways and see which you prefer.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »
I thought I saw somewhere that Da Michelle uses a seed oil or other lite oil and notice quite a few places do that across styles as well. This leads me to believe it's more for what it does to the pizza rather than how it flavors it.  In my making of flavored oils I noticed that any heat over 100-120 effects flavor and aroma and taste.

For me the aroma and flavor fresh olive oil hitting a just out of the oven pizza is best. I say try both ways and see which you prefer.

I believe that is correct about Da Michelle. I don't know about DM's motivation, but I believe many places that use an oil other than evoo do so for cost reasons. On the other side of the coin, you have places like UPN and Bianco that use specifically selected very high quality olive oils. My experience puts me solidly in their camp.

I'm with you when it comes to flavored oils - add them post bake. I completely agree there is plenty of heat to drive off some of the volatile compounds responsible for the flavors introduced to the oil - but not necessarily the flavors inherent to the oil itself.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
One comment I've heard multiple times from multiple people is that the neutral oil Da Michele uses tends to pick up the flavor of the basil and carry it into every bite. 
-Jeff

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
One comment I've heard multiple times from multiple people is that the neutral oil Da Michele uses tends to pick up the flavor of the basil and carry it into every bite. 

From the couple microscopic pieces of basil they put in the center? In 60 seconds? Sounds like a myth to me. And even if it did, evoo would do the same thing - the difference being there would be less flavors on the pizza to compete with the basil flavor.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
Here is what Marco (pizzanapoletana) said about the use of oils on Neapolitan pizzas, at Reply 24 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,656.msg11520.html#msg11520:

Many use Sunflower oil, it is true, but this is not the tradition. The fact is the long time ago, when the pizza was exclusive to Naples, the only two fats available in the city were Rendered pork fat and Olive oil from the Sorrento peninsula. The olive oil from the Sorrento peninsula is very mild, and now too expensive, so most pizzeria have turned to sunflower oil both for a mild taste and especially for cost. Da Michele, which produces the best dough in Naples by any standard, top it with Soya seed oil.... But as I said is because of the mild taste.

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
That makes perfect sense to me. I can see wanting the mild taste. I prefer the slightly richer flavor from the oil I use but not the grassy and peppery flavors found in many evoos.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
Craig makes a good point about the watery surface of the pizza limiting the temperature of the oil.  And even if the oven does change the flavor, that by no means equals ruining it.  Cooking changes all flavors and textures to some degree, but quality ingredients are still fundamental.  I don't see why any fat (whatever it may be) drizzled over the pie should be an exception to that rule.  On the other hand, I haven't tried it, but I can definitely imagine that a post-bake swirl would bring the flavor of the oil to the forefront.  I think I'll try it...  ;D
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
My two favorite pizza styles BOTH use olive oil pre bake .... traditional neapolitan style and New Haven style.   I only leave out the olive oil if I am using very fatty toppings (pepperoni or sausage come to mind).   For what its worth... when I went to naples I actually thought the top of the pizza was not as flavorful as what I had at UPN.   From that trip on I never looked back and have always used a good quality oil, rather than try to mimc the seed oils used in naples.    Sometimes I sneak a little into the sauce as well.           

pizzapan