Author Topic: Swirl of extra virgin olive oil ???  (Read 3582 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Swirl of extra virgin olive oil ???
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
Obviously different results. Equally as obvious is preference, hence the IMO. :D not trying to change any minds as that is difficult when it comes to matters of taste.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
Agree on the fatty toppings.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
Interesting stuff, guys.

Also interesting you mentioned the different fruity notes of the EVOO, Craig. I've not been a fan of the peppery and grassy notes found in some EVOOs on pizza, but wasn't sure if I was going crazy (was always told that's what you want in EVOO!)

Learning about the nuance in the EVOO was like learning about wine for the first time in a way. I'm only just beginning to really give it the respect it deserves on a great pizza....the same respect one would give the type of tomatoes and mozzarella.

Is there any variety of olive anyone here is partial to in an EVOO? For example, is there an olive variety that has a smoother finish? More fruity notes? I'd imagine the olives used have specific characteristics that effect flavor, similar to grape varieties used in wine.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »
Interesting thought. The type of pie may also determine a pre or post bake drizzle. One may prefer the oil at the forefront on one pizza, but may prefer it to be more integrated on a different pizza. Another thing to tinker with....  ;D

Craig makes a good point about the watery surface of the pizza limiting the temperature of the oil.  And even if the oven does change the flavor, that by no means equals ruining it.  Cooking changes all flavors and textures to some degree, but quality ingredients are still fundamental.  I don't see why any fat (whatever it may be) drizzled over the pie should be an exception to that rule.  On the other hand, I haven't tried it, but I can definitely imagine that a post-bake swirl would bring the flavor of the oil to the forefront.  I think I'll try it...  ;D

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »

Is there any variety of olive anyone here is partial to in an EVOO? For example, is there an olive variety that has a smoother finish? More fruity notes? I'd imagine the olives used have specific characteristics that effect flavor, similar to grape varieties used in wine.

Absolutely, they have terroir just like grape. There are quite a few places that will allow you to taste different varieties so you can find out what you like. This may also be of help- http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/ingredients/olive_oil_guide

ETA: new link
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:09:28 PM by jeff v »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:47 PM »
Much appreciated. Very interested in tasting without spending a small fortune haha

Absolutely, they have terroir just like grape. There are quite a few places that will allow you to taste different varieties so you can find out what you like. This may also be of help- http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/ingredients/olive_oil_guide

ETA: new link

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 11:04:25 PM »
The website for Extra Virginity has a buyers' guide at http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/great-oil/how-to-buy-great-olive-oil. The newsletter is interesting, too.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 03:01:09 AM »
I was at a Pizzeria last week that does a swirl of EVOO around the pizza crust after it came out of the oven. I notice that he lightly sprinkled Kosher Sea Salt around the crust as well. (after he finished pouring the EVOO on the pizza crust) To my surprise, it had a great flavor too. IMO

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »
Throw some bacon on there and it will be even better.  To my mind, condiments should be applied by the eater, not the cook.  Oil on vegetarian pizza is a must, but post bake not a fan, although I have tried the salt on the crust and didn't think it added much.