Author Topic: Do pizza chains really think they are getting away with it?  (Read 4205 times)

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
Do pizza chains really think they are getting away with it?
« on: January 09, 2006, 08:20:43 PM »
I've noticed that papa johns, pizza hut and dominos all have larges that are 14" as opposed to a normal large that is 16", I mean do they think people don't notice or what? Also they are more expensive, yet their pizza sucks.  Whats the large in your area?

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Do pizza chains really think they are getting away with it?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 08:33:06 PM »
A buddy and his wife came over on the weekend and we ordered pizza from a local pizza joint.  The pizzas were
good but I guess I'm used to the "small" large pizzas that now exist.

I JUST measured one of the pizza boxes and they are 15-1/2" square.

The pizza then is about 15" or just a bit less, as this measurement was the outside of the box.

Most places now around here where I am in Canada do not even have an EXTRA large... it seems many places
are just phasing them out.

Now, here's another thing... way back in the 70s and 80s when I lived in Montreal, ALL pizza joints had a huge pizza you could order.... you would call and just ask for a "JUMBO" all dressed.  This pizza was HUGE ! , now I know 20 something years ago I was a lad, and things looked larger, but I have vivid memories of these pizzas they used to order for us at school.  One slice from that JUMBO pizza was absolutely mind boggling.  They just don't do that anymore.  I have never seen a JUMBO sized pizza anywhere in the last 15 years or more.... and that's pretty damn sad.

By the way, the total cost for our pizzas ? ... $39.60 ! ok that included 24 chicken wings and a 2 liter of Pepsi ( 2 quart )
but I find it expensive.  Perhaps I'm just getting old.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 08:53:00 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline GW

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 09:56:37 PM »
The last place I worked, a medium was 15".   We called the 17" "Honest" large.

G

Offline Ed

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 10:29:03 PM »
I worked at Domino's when they went to a 14" large from the 16".  They claimed it enhanced customer satisfaction to put the amount of toppings that would have been on a 16" pizza on a 14".  This was probably 15 years ago.  I don't know what their philosophy is now.

Ed

Offline chiguy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 10:44:30 PM »
 Hey guys,
 It is a shame how alot of these chains have such small pizza's. Then they have the nerve to pass them off as a large. There is a small chain in Chiago called www.baccipizza.com that sells a jumbo, feeds 8-10. It is 24 inches and is a freakin monster, the cost is $26 for a cheese. Now that is what i call a Jumbo.    Chiguy

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 11:07:17 PM »
The few local places I frequent around here (not the chains) call 16" large. One even has an 18" that is their large.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 08:50:55 PM »
I ordered a large from one pizza place and when I picked it up, it was around 14". They also had an extra large that only cost $3 more but was 18" so I was bummed I bought the large.  :'(

Offline tsclipper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 09:16:46 PM »
at my pizzaria I sell a 30" monsta pizza and believe you me its a monsta!!!!

Offline chiguy

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
 tsclipper,
 Wow a 30incher, how about posting a picture of that monster if you can. Out of curiosity,what is the dough ball weight? How much cheese is on it? What is the cost of a cheese?  Chiguy

Offline tsclipper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 10:50:54 AM »
chiguy,
         The dough ball weighs 72 oz. the cheese varies at about 36 to 40 oz. depending on the maker. We sell it with cheese and one additional topping for $29.99. Its amazing because people think they are being robbed paying that for a pizza. They dont realize what they are getting. Its a pretty good seller especially for parties. I also do alot of promos with this pizza for radio stations and newspapers. I have only heard of 1 other place around that has that large of pizza but they are now out of business.   
                                         tsclipper

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 11:18:21 AM »
I'm guessing that chiguy is getting out his calculator, but 72 ounces of dough for a 30-inch pizza would yield a thickness factor of 0.102, which is almost exactly in line with a thin NY style. If anyone is interested in the formulation for a Lehmann NY style dough to make a 30-inch pizza, let me know. LOL.

Tina, do you use a screen to make the "monsta"? If so, I would assume that you are using a deck oven (I don't know if conveyors are wide enough), and possibly remove the screen at some point to let the pizza crust develop more color.

Peter

Offline tsclipper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 12:16:54 PM »
Peter,
        Actually we use a pan to make this pizza and the crust is really not that thin. In the begining it took 3 of us to roll and flap the dough out and put it on the pan. Now with making them as often as we do it only takes 1 person to roll and flap it out and 2 people to put it on the pan. Yes, we do have a deck oven for this pizza and the pizza stays in it until its done. It is cooked for 7 min. on one side of the oven and then turned and moved to the other side of the oven and cooked for a additional 7 mins. Once in awhile the bottom does not cook as fast as the top and we do have to flat deck the pizza. Which is a sight to see LOL!!! But one has never hit the floor yet!!!LOL
                                                                                          tsclipper

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 01:33:18 PM »
I wondered whether there is such a thing as a 30-inch pizza screen. There is: http://www.twinsupply.com/proddetail.asp?prod=18730. I once saw a fellow on TV hand toss a monster pizza skin that looked at least 30 inches in diameter. It was quite a sight. I wonder whether member bubba can do that? LOL.

Peter

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 01:51:26 PM »
Damn 30" in diamater?  The biggest i've had was 18" at bocce's club.  That is some expensive pizza's, id say the average in buffalo is $7-11 for a 16" pepperoni and cheese pizza.  any bigger than 18" and you might as well order a party sheet, but i would definetly like to see a 30 incher!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 02:27:56 PM »
In California:

Rico's Pizza chain make a 26" monster party pizza, baked in a brick oven. Largest pizza I've ever seen. I cant imagine a 30 incher! The 26 incher has slices soo long you almost need a partner to hold the other end. If you request it, they will cut the entire pie into rectagles to be more managable. :-D

Mountain Mike's chain has a 20 incher.

Yes, 16 and 18 inch large pizzas have nearly disappeared hear too!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Mystic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 12:44:06 PM »
It's hard for the Indy pizza stores with large 16" pizza's to compete with the pizza chains large 14". In most customers minds it's not much of a difference, only 2". Wrong!!! It's very hard to train customers to think of pizza in square inches! I know alot of pizza shops that have fought a losing battle on this subject and had to down size to the 14" large to level the playing field, or face going out of business.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 07:50:44 AM »
It's all relative. I know of one place that has an extra-small size at 10 inches, another has an "individual" at 8 inches. The biggest I've seen (round pizza) is here in Chicago at 20 inches. Nice snack size. ;D

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Good Morning Pete-zza;
If your offer is still open; I would appreciate very much your formula for a 30" Lehmann dough pizza.  Thank You...... ;D
Buffalo

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 09:47:02 AM »
RockyMarciano;
"Party sheet" is a name I am not familiar with for a pizza.  Could you describe it?  ;D
Thanks.........
Buffalo

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 09:59:46 AM »
Buffalo,

Sometime today, I will post the 30-inch Lehmann formulation on the Lehmann thread, where it might be more appropriate. I'd love to see someone make a 30-incher just to see if the formulation scales up well to that size. The largest Lehmann I have made to date is 18 inches, and that worked out very well. The screen I used was very snug in my oven, with nary a nano-inch to spare.

Peter

pizzapan