Author Topic: cracker crust rising time?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline joe

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
cracker crust rising time?
« on: January 19, 2006, 02:26:26 PM »
hi all,
just got finished mixing up a couple of batches of dough for cracker style crust (DKM's and Steve's).
will it be ok to allow dough to rise more than 24 hours at room temp without messing anything up?
i figure it will be about 29 hours from the time i started the rise time until i will be able to use the dough.

also i would like to thank you all for such a wonderful site. iv'e been having alot of fun trying out the recipes posted.
i've done a few deep dish recipes with great results and now it's time to try a cracker style.
if i could figure out how to take a good picture, i'll submit a few pics of the finished pizza.

thanks,
joe

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Re: cracker crust rising time?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 03:54:52 PM »
Just curious why you want to let the dough rise at room temp.  Your dough could be spent by that time meaning the yeast would have little power left. But an ounce of fact is worth a pound of theory or a pound of pizza dough so give it a shot and share.

On the theory side, a dry dough matures slower than a wet one. Think sourdough starter. With less sugar there is less food for the yeast and it must consume from the flour.  Still theory.

Cracker crust pizza. Welcome to real pizza!

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 05:29:33 PM »
A lot of artisan bakers and pizza restaurants use a long rise at room temperature. The best cracker crust I've ever eaten is from a local pizzeria which uses three separate room temperature rises.

29 hours is a long time--cutting down on the yeast would be helpful.  Bit I say give it a try and see how you like it! You can always make another one.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 08:33:58 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem... your crust will have more flavor!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.