Author Topic: Looking for advice?  (Read 999 times)

Offline derricktung

Looking for advice?
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »
I've been looking at a wood fired pizza oven for sale, and am considering purchasing.  (It's my first one, and we plan to use it at Farmer's Markets as a side business!)

There's a fairly sizable crack running along the back of the oven, which has me a little concerned.  I know that as part of the heating/setting process, the oven's will develop minor cracks, but since I"m fairly new to WFO, I was hoping you guys could provide some guidance as to whether this is worth purchasing or not?  I've got a few pictures of the crack.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Offline shuboyje

Re: Looking for advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:11:48 AM »
Will the oven be stationary at the market, or mobile?  Ovens built from brick are not ideal for mobile units.  It can and has been done, but the road can tear a brick oven apart.  With that large crack, this one would be a particularly large risk.

My second concern is the center vent.  It's a very poor design and will lack thermal efficiency.  That instantly makes me wonder what else was done incorrectly.
-Jeff

Offline derricktung

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
It's meant to be a mobile oven that we drive to a Farmer's market each week.  It's only a few miles, but that was a concern as well, that the oven was built in multiple pieces instead of single cast.

Sounds like I should pass on this oven.  Thanks for the input!

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »
My apologies for a double post...

So I'm trying to get my head wrapped around what ovens to consider for our mobile farmer's market business...  Here's what I'm understanding so far:

1.  Get a modular oven (less pieces = less chances of cracks/breaking?)
2.  Low dome (9-12 inches if possible)
3.  Something with good insulation/thermal mass (will be at market from 7-2, so needs to be able to hold temps for about 5 hours)

My budget is pretty low, so I'm looking into Forno Classico modular, RoundBoy, and BreadStone/FGMs.  Any thoughts or advice between the three vendors for mounting onto a trailer to be lugged around?

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »
"Modular + Low Dome" may be pushing the envelope at this stage in the game. I may be wrong, but... unless you "absolutely" need the low dome for making NP, I wouldn't delay your search looking for this combination which may not exist (yet). From the sound of it, a "generic" modular (like mine) will probably suit you just fine.

If someone is aware of a modular, truly "low dome" oven a la Acunto, SF, or like some of the custom ones like RobynB's please do tell!

John K

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Robyn's oven isn't custom, it is a standard FGM modular oven.  She did change the floor, but that was it as far as I remember. 

If you are planning to do Neapolitan pizza you will find that most of us here like FGM for modular ovens. 
-Jeff

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »
Yep, Jeff is right - mine is a standard FGM 950-B, only change was the floor tiles.  I think if you are putting it on a trailer, the 950-C would make more sense.  I've seen a few put on trailers. 

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »
Sorry, maybe I am not understanding the definition of modular.

In the pic on RobynB's avatar there is a cat in an unlit  >:D oven that appears to be constructed of individual bricks. My idea of a "modular" oven is a 1 to 4 piece dome made out of some version of refractory concrete. That's what I have.

Pls tell me more about that particular model oven so that I can know "next time" I am looking! Seems pretty stellar, and maybe less costly than a custom oven? ;)

John K

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 01:19:36 PM »
There is a lot of info on FGM's website - you could go there to see the options.  The "B" means brick interior, the "C" means concrete chamotte.  Mine is a prefab oven, but has the brick interior. 

This is the history on my oven:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13956.0.html

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 01:22:31 PM »
Yup,FGM's B series ovens are unique.  They are modular oven, but they have specialized bricks cast into the castable on the interior side.  If I remember correctly the 950-B dome is made of 2 segments.   
-Jeff

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
Oh boy,

I just looked at their UK site --- that's DEFINITELY what I'd call a "hybrid" modular.
And by "hybrid" I mean SAH-WEEET!!!!

Definitely a couple of rungs above mine :-[

John K

Offline derricktung

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »
Antoine's suggesting a 1030 C for the purposes of it being light weight and the ability to do three 10 inch pizzas at a time.  I like his customer service and willingness to work with me thus far.

Anyone with a 1030C with thoughts on it?

Thanks!!!

Offline dineomite

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
I wouldn't be as concerned as much about the crack (high temp caulk would fix that problem), as much as I would be the weight.

pizzapan