Author Topic: Used to work at Grande Cheese  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Nonya

Used to work at Grande Cheese
« on: February 27, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »
I know what the story is because I used to work there.
The code that you see on the box and 5 lbs. bags is not an expiration date. It is a "quality code". It is eight digits long. The first two are the month, second two are the day, the fifth number is the plant number, and the last three are the lot number. Line 1 has lots 001-016 and line 2 has lots 031-046. Line 4 starts at 090. Line 1 and 4 does shredded cheese and line 2 does diced, except on Fridays it does shred as well because Grande sells more shred. So if the cheese blocks were processed on 2/27/2013 on line 1 the code might read 02235001. The "23" instead of the "27"is because the cheese was made 4 days ago. So the product you ordered will always arrive with a code you think is past or bad, but really isn't. Don't ask me why they do what they do, I never made any of those types of decisions. I was stuck at the bottom. Grande fills the bags with nitrogen gas to prevent the cheese from going bad. Oxygen will make food go bad and Grande has less than 2% in the 5 lbs. bags. The FDA only makes food companies have less than 5% oxygen in each bag. Grande does not add an anti-caking powder to the di/shred bags. Other companies do and do you know what it is called? Cellulose. If you look it up you'll find out it is sawdust. You know the stuff from trees. Do you really want to eat trees? Of course nothing will stick together if you just coat it in sawdust. EEEWWW! If you don't believe me read the packages you buy in the store and look it up. Humans don't eat trees and that is why Grande does not put it in their product.

By the way Grande Cheese was started by the late Fillippo Candela and now his son John Candela owns it. Wayne Matzke is the president. He named it "Grande" which means grand in Italian which is where he was from. So the woman you dated with the last name Grande probably wasn't related to them at all and just lied to seem rich/important/better than everyone else.

I love their whole milk cheese and yes it is expenisive. Del pastio ricotta is great for cannolis. Grande does do a lot of hand holding.

Piacci is the retail brand of Grande and is sold in high end markets only. They told us that they were marketing the "life savors". The what? I was told this demographic of people make $200k+ range and will spend money on a leather chair instead of a cloth one (analogy). I replied, really? You mean to tell me I don't want to buy a leather chair just because I can't afford it? Sounds to me like the company just wants to sell to a bunch of rich snobs. The supervisor reply to me, no "life savors" because they savor life and want the best things in life. Talk about making me feel like a real turd in a toilet.

By the way, their coming out with an asiago blend in the di/shred department. Still in R&D though.

If your wondering why I left the company its because I was freezing all day and made only a dollar more than the new hires after 5 years. Also there is NO vertical movement within the company unless someone dies or retires. And then someone else gets the job because it was based on seniority only-not who was the best fit. Most people I spoke with had worked there for at least a decade and hadn't moved up the ladder.

Their products are good, sales reps great, customer service is great, but unfortunately not much else. Frankly, I don't care if they see this post. My old plant manager can kiss it!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Used to work at Grande Cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
Nonya, thank you for that explanation and Welcome. I happen to have a local market that sells the Piacci brand not that expensive compared to other fresh Mozz in this town.
I go between that and Buffalo Mozz sold at TJs. Actually I try many from the area but those two are my go to Mozz.
Hope you enjoy your visit here.
How does the Piacci brand compare to the commercial cheese?

Mark
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:53:16 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »
I've tried the brick whole milk mozzarella Grande cheese and believe me the earth didn't move. It was good, but at twice the price I can get Sorrento for it was FAR from worth even a fraction of the difference. I have found another cheese from a rather obsure source which is much better, so for my money, Grande can gladly ride off on their high horse.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline grathan

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »
Tried the whole milk brick for the first time yesterday. It turned out disgusting...

It was actually very similar to Sorrento's mozerella. The cheese broke apart (there was deep piles of it) and left pools of water and some grease. There was no "stretch" and the flavor was completely bland. This was an experimental pie and half of the pie was covered by one of Grande's other cheeses and the difference was night and day. 7# loaf at $7/lb. Oh well, lesson learned.

dmcavanagh I am probably within 30 miles of you ever wanna split shipping on an order. I grew up in Latham and now live in Greenwich.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
Tried the whole milk brick for the first time yesterday. It turned out disgusting...

It was actually very similar to Sorrento's mozerella. The cheese broke apart (there was deep piles of it) and left pools of water and some grease. There was no "stretch" and the flavor was completely bland. This was an experimental pie and half of the pie was covered by one of Grande's other cheeses and the difference was night and day. 7# loaf at $7/lb. Oh well, lesson learned.

dmcavanagh I am probably within 30 miles of you ever wanna split shipping on an order. I grew up in Latham and now live in Greenwich.
grathan,
What was the Grande cheese on the other half of your pizza...the one that was a night and day difference. Was this a NY style of pizza?
Also, where do you order from...Penn(the Pirate) Mac?
Thanks!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline grathan

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »
Yeah, it was Pennmac. The other one was %50 whole milk mixed with %50 provolone in a shredded bag.  I would expect the flavor to be different with provolone there, but I suspect something else was amiss. The quality of the brick was just poor, even the browning was different. The %100 mozzarella side turned completely brown in huge patches (reminiscent of cheap cheese like Walmart's brand) while the %50 side was mostly brilliant white with some leoparding. When I took away a slice from the provolone side it left quite a few cheese trails through the air which had to be sliced to let go of the slice. The mozzerella side didn't stretch at all.

I've used the brick again since, mixing one side with white cheddar and the other with asiago and it was still pretty bland, and very greasy(huge pools of oil while no oil was in sauce or sprinkled on top). The brick seemed to be of good quality in appearance. It is pretty solid and dry, not wet and mushy like the store bought mozzerella which is hard to grate. I didn't bother checking the expiration date as I just received it last week.

I've seen pizzeria's on PMQ say they spend 2x as much for grande mozzerella. Though it was also stated that a huge perecntage of pizzerias blend their cheese so perhaps comparing %100 mozzerella to the hundred different pizzeria pies I've had is not fair. It is on par with Sorrento which is the best mozzerella I've purchased yet, but didn't really care for that either. 

Bob, I still haven't gotten around to reading the glossary and couldn't tell you if it was NY style or not. The sauce was Red Novembers so it had a fair kick to detract from the cheese, but there was a lot of cheese used, much more than normal, big piles.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:57:40 PM by grathan »

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »
I use grande whole milk mozz (2.80 lb today) and grande provolone (3.02 lb) both in the loaf form, that we shred to my specs.  I find it to be a great cheese with none of the negatives I have read here.  I grew up in the NYC/NJ pizza world and am very happy with it.  Walter
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:14:39 PM by waltertore »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
grathan,
Sure sounds like you received a miss labeled brick of cheese...that is a bummer.  >:(

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:08:42 PM »
I use grande whole milk mozz (2.80 lb today) and grande provolono (3.02 lb) both in the loaf form, that we shred to my specs.  I find it to be a great cheese with none of the negatives I have read here.  I grew up in the NYC/NJ pizza world and am very happy with it.  Walter
Walter,

Send me some.... >:D

Bob

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »
Walter,

Send me some.... >:D

Bob

Bob:  Having a commercial license is a great bonus with getting most any product we need.  We get a GFS truck delivery once a week.  If you are ever in the central ohio area let me know and I will order some for you.  I was suprised to find Sysco does not carry grande and GFS doesn't carry Stanislaus which means we have to deal with both places.  Restaurant depot is a good source for stuff too but doesn't carry grande either.    Walter
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:17:14 PM by waltertore »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »
Bob:  Having a commercial license is a great bonus with getting most any product we need.  We get a GFS truck delivery once a week.  If you are ever in the central ohio area let me know and I will order some for you.  I was suprised to find Sysco does not carry grande and GFS doesn't carry Stanislaus which means we have to deal with both places.  Restaurant depot is a good source for stuff too but doesn't carry grande either.    Walter
Sounds good..thank you sir.  8)

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 05:03:38 AM »
I use grande whole milk mozz (2.80 lb today) and grande provolone (3.02 lb) both in the loaf form, that we shred to my specs.  I find it to be a great cheese with none of the negatives I have read here.  I grew up in the NYC/NJ pizza world and am very happy with it.  Walter

Hey Walter!!

fellow New Jersyan (and NYC commuter) here....

I have to agree, when it comes to that fundamentalist NY Street/NJ Mom and Pop pizzeria flavor....it's two things that are essential IMO

the HG flour and Grande cheese...

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 06:08:11 PM »
I've tried the brick whole milk mozzarella Grande cheese and believe me the earth didn't move. It was good, but at twice the price I can get Sorrento for it was FAR from worth even a fraction of the difference. I have found another cheese from a rather obsure source which is much better, so for my money, Grande can gladly ride off on their high horse.

To this day I DO NOT understand, appreciate or like grande cheese.  Maybe, MAYBE if it was priced in line, I could deal....but i just don't get it.   I used it for about 6 months until I just stopped.  For one, too salty, waaaay to salty....not creamy enough......just not my cup of tea.  Their pricing scheme doesn't thrill me either.

Dont get it.......