Author Topic: Latest experiment  (Read 1703 times)

Offline tombiasi

Latest experiment
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
I tried some changes based on what i learned here. Was looking for a stiffer crust but not cracker. I think I got it.
Latest NY Dough Experiments
Ingredients: (1, 16 inch pie 20 oz. ball)
   2 - 2 1/2 cups BFB                               12.0 oz.                           100%
   Water (77 0 F.)                                        7.6 oz.                            63 %
    t. IDY                                                 0.06 oz.                           0.5 %           
    t. canola oil                                      0.12 oz.                            1.0%   
   1 1/2 t. canning salt                            0.26 oz.                           2.0%

Put water at 77 0 F. and salt into mixer bowl.
Add flour and yeast, mix with paddle on number 1. (KA Mixer) for 3 minutes.
Add oil and mix with paddle on number 2 until oil is incorporated.
Mix with dough hook for another 7 minutes on number 2.
Let rest for 10 minutes and hand knead to a smooth ball and seal bottom.
Place in pizza tin lubed with oil and cover.
Let sit at room temperature until it just shows some rising. (about 1-3 hours or more)
Place in fridge for 2-3 days.
Take out 3 or more hours before use and place on peel.
Cover with cloth.
I will post the last two pics since I reached my limit on this post.

Offline tombiasi

Re: Latest experiment Part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:20 AM »
Last two pics

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Latest experiment
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »
Looking good tombiasi....would help a lot if you would not resize your pics so small. Thanks!
You do a good job opening your pizza dough.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
Tombiasi, The circle on your peel is a great learning tool!
Just wondering what your recipe evolved FROM? Or what changes did you make and what do you think contributed the most to your successful crust?
I am unfamiliar with canning salt, is it different than the Kosher Diamond Crystal that I use?
Keep up the good work! :chef:

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:18:01 PM »
First time posting pics. I'll fix that. This pie had too much top heat. I experimented with the oven temp. On suggestion from scott123 I needed a faster cook time to get what I wanted. I cooked this one at 600 F stone temperature. This got the pie out in about 5 minutes. I believe I can accomplish this at 550 and won't have to use the cleaning cycle. I put the circle there because I make a pie that will not fit in the oven if it's even 1/2 inch too big. It just clears the door and the oven back now.
I would like more rise in this dough. Suggestions based on what I did.
Mark, I always used AP and semolina mix. Then I went to KABF and still used semolina. Then I cut out the semolina. I change the recipe a lot. It's fun.
I wouldn't consider this a good pie because of the top heat but I was looking for something else.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »

I would like more rise in this dough. Suggestions based on what I did.

Do you mean more cornice rise? If so I would suggest that you leave the edge of your dough open, no sauce, and leave the air bubbles that were developed by the fermentation process undisturbed in the cornice area. IE don't flatten the edges so much.
In pic # 2 the edges of the opening pie look pretty good to me, if you could spread the middle section and keep the edges as they were, or close to it, you may keep the springiness in the dough.
From what I have learned and observed in my own pies, a hotter oven generally results in more spring.
I also like more "rise" and believe that the fermentation process that we choose to use has a lot to do with the end result.
I am no expert tho.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:42:03 PM by mkevenson »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Pay close attention @ 3:00 min.

I like this video a lot.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkfDqA8yKg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkfDqA8yKg</a>
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:43:52 PM by Steve »

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
Do you mean more cornice rise? If so I would suggest that you leave the edge of your dough open, no sauce, and leave the air bubbles that were developed by the fermentation process undisturbed in the cornice area. IE don't flatten the edges so much.
In pic # 2 the edges of the opening pie look pretty good to me, if you could spread the middle section and keep the edges as they were, or close to it, you may keep the springiness in the dough.
From what I have learned and observed in my own pies, a hotter oven generally results in more spring.
I also like more "rise" and believe that the fermentation process that we choose to use has a lot to do with the end result.
I am no expert tho.

Mark
I mean the entire ball. It didn't rise as much as I would have liked. I used to use more yeast but after reading here and using the calculator I cut way back.
I know to leave the edge alone when opening. I use the dough on fists method and it works well for me.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:41 PM »

I am unfamiliar with canning salt, is it different than the Kosher Diamond Crystal that I use?
Keep up the good work! :chef:

Mark

Sorry I missed this before. Canning salt is salt with no iodine or anti caking ingredients. It's used in canning mainly as to not discolor the canned product.
I use it because I have it. I also make cheese with it.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »
I mean the entire ball. It didn't rise as much as I would have liked. I used to use more yeast but after reading here and using the calculator I cut way back.
I know to leave the edge alone when opening. I use the dough on fists method and it works well for me.

Since no one else has chimed in , I would suggest you try a controlled temp ferment, not refrigerated.  I have been doing 24-48 hrs at a temp of 61-65 F. It has increased the rise of the dough and the bubbles in the dough before opening. I do not find a loss of flavor which seems to be the reason the longer , cold ferment is utilized.
Try it, you may like it.

Mark

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
tombiasi,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to post photos of the step by step process. It makes things easier by seeing how it is done, rather than just reading about it. I post photos often in my thread, so i know how time consuming it can be. Thanks again.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.420.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:31:12 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »
tombiasi,

Could you post your Pizza Sauce recipe? Thanks

TomN

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 01:17:10 PM »
tombiasi,

Could you post your Pizza Sauce recipe? Thanks

TomN

Now you did it Tom:-)
I have so many pizza sauce recipes. It depends on what I will be using for topping and how many pies I make.
I got tired of wasting a lot of sauce when I only needed about 7 ounces for a 16 inch pie.
When it comes to pizza I don't want the sauce to dominate the pie.
Lately, and for the one I posted I kept it simple.
I chose an 8 ounce can of good tomato sauce. Read the label, if they add garlic powder and/or onion powder I leave it out. If not I add 1/4 teaspoon of each. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 ounce of evoo and let it sit in fridge over night. That's it!

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »
Since no one else has chimed in , I would suggest you try a controlled temp ferment, not refrigerated.  I have been doing 24-48 hrs at a temp of 61-65 F. It has increased the rise of the dough and the bubbles in the dough before opening. I do not find a loss of flavor which seems to be the reason the longer , cold ferment is utilized.
Try it, you may like it.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I can do that, I have a controlled fermenter for my beer.
How much yeast would you use for this?
Would you add sugar?

Tom

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »
I have been using 0.3% IDY. I have omitted sugar due to burning issues and I find no difference in taste.

Mark

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »
I have been using 0.3% IDY. I have omitted sugar due to burning issues and I find no difference in taste.

Mark

Thank you. I will try it. I only make pizza on Wednesdays.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 09:54:18 PM »
Now you did it Tom:-)
I have so many pizza sauce recipes. It depends on what I will be using for topping and how many pies I make.
I got tired of wasting a lot of sauce when I only needed about 7 ounces for a 16 inch pie.
When it comes to pizza I don't want the sauce to dominate the pie.
Lately, and for the one I posted I kept it simple.
I chose an 8 ounce can of good tomato sauce. Read the label, if they add garlic powder and/or onion powder I leave it out. If not I add 1/4 teaspoon of each. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 ounce of evoo and let it sit in fridge over night. That's it!
Tom,

For my go to crushed/ground or puree pizza sauces I often buy the large #10 cans and portion them out into freezer baggies...this stuff freezes very well.  ;)

Bob

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »
Tom,

For my go to crushed/ground or puree pizza sauces I often buy the large #10 cans and portion them out into freezer baggies...this stuff freezes very well.  ;)

Bob

Thanks Bob,
Myself, I have found that tomato products cell structure don't hold up well to freezing.
It's easy to just make it as I need it.
Glad you are having good luck.

Tom

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 10:15:21 PM »
Thanks Bob,
Myself, I have found that tomato products cell structure don't hold up well to freezing.

Tom
Please don't tell that to the frozen food industry.....jus trying to help save some pennies and add convenience.  8)

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 10:42:42 PM »
Please don't tell that to the frozen food industry.....jus trying to help save some pennies and add convenience.  8)

Don't get me wrong Bob.
I certainly appreciate you helpfulness. I just related my personal experience.
It would probably be fine for sauce but I don't need that much on hand.

pizzapan