Author Topic: Question for Lloyd Pan Users  (Read 905 times)

Offline hotsawce

Question for Lloyd Pan Users
« on: July 24, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »
This is a question for anyone using Lloyd pans in a deck oven, on a stone, or on a baking steel.

I've been testing a Lloyd pan on a baking steel in my home oven to replicate the conditions of baking on a hearth in a deck oven. I've found the bottom of my squares are getting very dark very quickly, compared to a steel pan that hardly Browns at all.

The convection and air flow in a deck oven may be completely different, but I'm interested in knowing if anyone has cooked in these pans on a hearth for the entire bake without scorching the bottom. I'm at a crossroads here; I can get a Lloyd pan safe at higher temps (if it cooks properly) or season my own steel pans and Pop the pie onto the deck to finish the bake

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
Re: Question for Lloyd Pan Users
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
I guess my first question would be where do you have your stone in the oven?  The stone is conveying direct heat to the pan whereas the air mass is less so.  If you have the stone in the bottom of your oven, the top of your pie isn't getting the same amount of heat, even with the convection.  I'd try moving it up one or two levels and seeing how you do.  I bet the reflected heat off the top of the oven will give you a better balance.

Offline jsaras

Question for Lloyd Pan Users
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
I don't think that pan was intended to be used on a stone or steel.  It's for use in a conveyor oven.  Baking directly on steel is much closer to baking on a "hearth" than putting ANY pan between the steel and the pizza.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:07:58 PM by jsaras »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 03:25:16 PM »
I would be using the pan commercially in a deck oven. So I may be better off using a steel pan.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »
Lou,

I believe that the Lloyd pans, as opposed to disks, can be used in deck ovens. It is the disks, like the perforated hearth disks, that I believe are intended primarily for conveyor ovens.

A simple call to Lloyd's should get you the correct and complete answer.

Peter

wordpress