Author Topic: Zoli's NY Pizza Tavern-- Jay Jerrier  (Read 2565 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Zoli's NY Pizza Tavern-- Jay Jerrier
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »
To bad he's not here anymore  :( chased away by various Neapolitan opinions. There were some great photos out of jays  test kitchen while he was experimenting  pies look  spot on! not sure even the toughest critic could find much wrong with them. Sicilian -Ny - Chicago all the goodies
 if your watching Jay  best of luck with the new joint. Sure to  will make a lot  of Dallas transplants very very happy!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

scott123

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »
To bad he's not here anymore  :( chased away by various Neapolitan opinions.

Chased away by an opinion? How does that work? I didn't know opinions could be so menacing ;D  Look out, little boys and girls, a man with an opinion is on the loose!  :-D

Jay mistook a completely innocuous and entirely scholarly off topic discussion about fermentation times as a personal attack and had a meltdown.  I'm sorry to see him no longer participating, but opinions didn't drive Jay away, Jay did.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
  ::) :-X

scott123

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 11:01:46 AM »
Steve, there's no need for you to roll your eyes at Jay.  That kind of passive aggressive contempt isn't called for here. I was initially upset with him as well, as you saw, especially since we all look up to him so much and were so kind to him. For a brief moment, I took his mic dropping meltdown to heart (and reacted), but almost immediately recognized it for the misunderstanding that it was. It's all there in the thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13157.0.html

Hopefully Jay will, at some point, come to understand that nothing malicious was ever directed towards him, and that the fermentation discussion was just the pedantic nature of this forum and not Cane related- especially since, as it turned out, Cane was using an extended cold fermentation anyway.

So easy on the eye-rolling ;D  As far as emoticons go, it's very belittling. And I don't think that's your intent.  At least, I hope it's not.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:22:49 AM by scott123 »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
Scott, I wasn't rolling my eyes at Jay. (but you knew that) Sorry, I should know better by now. I get in trouble with my wife every time I do it after she says something ridiculous.
 I didn't know Jay had a meltdown. The only meltdown I saw was in the one, single post that was deleted from the thread.(but you knew that) Anyone following the thread at the time knows what really happened.
 As far as emoticons go, they are there for a reason, which is not to belittle, but to convey a feeling without putting it to word. I used  :-X to imply that there was more to say on the subject that might be better left unsaid. Perhaps the winky guy would have been better?
 Sorry, Scott. I totally respect your intelligence, knowledge and passion. I just think you need to learn when to quit once you've made your point. ;)

scott123

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
I cannot understand why everyone has their undies in a bunch...

...vanish from this board before I blow my brains out...

Peace out (drops mic).

That's a meltdown, Steve.  That's anger. That's an 'F you guys, I'm outta here.' Which is why I reacted so strongly.  Telling us our 'undies' were in a bunch and then storming out was entirely uncalled for, considering the incredible kindness and reverence shown to Jay in that thread- at least it seemed especially hurtful at that moment.  After the dust cleared, I, as I mentioned above, re-read the thread  and saw how Jay misunderstood our lengthy fermentation discussion as an attack.

Jay said he was vanishing from this board, and he did.  My short lived reaction after his dramatic exit had absolutely nothing to do with the departure. Nothing any of us said related directly to Jay's departure.  Completely impersonal comments were taken personally. That's all.

Offline communist

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
Very interesting that Jay is opening a place that makes a New York Pie!  Just when I thought Neapolitan was getting the "upper hand" on pizza making.com!  Scott and Steve give testament to the fact that different pizza and different opinions are the spice of life ( or pizza ).  Friday night I cranked out 3 New York pies on steel in 4 minutes.  Saturday, I bicycled across the George Washington Bridge with my boys, rode down Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge, and then head back to Keste's on Bleeker street.  New York Pie, Neapolitan Pie.  Scott and Steve.  Life is good!   Mark

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 06:51:56 AM »
Check out the really innovative square NY and sicilian pies Jay is making at Zolis:

http://instagram.com/zolisnypizza

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »
That cheese looks so good and man those sandwiches.

Offline Jet_deck

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »
A ton of pics from the pizza expo with Ferrara ovens and heavyweights in the industry:

http://instagram.com/canerossotx

John

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
I think the ovens are great...pizzas look great....my only concern is them offereing grandmas pies AND sicilian pies.....this may be an obvious difference to the regulars on THIS site....but to 99%of the average NY pizza crowd......the difference will be.......what exactly??  Offer one or the other.....and it wont matter becasue BOTH styles will be considered sicilian pizza by the VAST majority of customers.  This is an obvious chain concept....and unlike a single standing, artisan, chef driven pizza place.......the diff between grandmas and sicilian will NOT be appreciated.