Author Topic: Pizza making myths -4 tomatoes  (Read 1212 times)

piroshok

Pizza making myths -4 tomatoes
« on: January 10, 2006, 08:38:07 AM »
As member of a numberof cooking Italian forums I have not come across people referring to tomatoes San marzano like I you here, Italians just use simply canned or tnned tomatoes.
To me if you get a good tinned tomatoes it is good enough to make a great sauce the secret is in the maker.

Offline buzz

Re: Pizza making myths -4 tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 09:57:27 AM »
Personally speaking, I would disagree. I've tried many, many brands and they differ widely, not only in taste and sweetness, but in bitterness and acidity levels. Profesional chefs prefer San Marzanos because they are grown  in the volcanic soils of Mt. Vesuvius and are naturally sweet, low in acid, and  have fewer seeds, so less bitterness. They are pricy, but are excellent tomatoes!

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 10:01:29 AM »
 Hey piroshok,
 All that had to happen for myself is to get a couple of bad cans of San Marzano's. If i pay $3.75(highest paid) a can i expect super quality, they are just inconsistent. It could be the time of year they were packed, but even so i am not married to the idea that they are the best. I have a friend of Italian immigrant parents, his mom uses fresh tomatoes to make sauce, peeled and cooked down. To each his own.   Chiguy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 11:01:24 AM by chiguy »

Offline buzz

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 10:44:22 AM »
Those are way overpriced! I get them for less than $2.50/can. You have to make sure that they are genuine San Marzanos and not San Marzano-style (some Italian marketers are exploiting the chef popularity of the San Marzano name to fool consumers).

pizzapan