Author Topic: Slice Reheating, steel vs. stone  (Read 680 times)

Offline Giggliato

Slice Reheating, steel vs. stone
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:21:44 PM »
Hello there, has anyone noticed a difference when reheating slices on steel plates and stone plates. It seems to me that steel plates don't get the slices crispy enough, fast enough to prevent the melting of the cheese over the edges. But it might be something else. Anyway if someone has experience with both types of plates please post.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Slice Reheating, steel vs. stone
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:16:09 AM »
Gig;
Just like in baking pizzas from scratch, latent heat is the name of the game in reheating pizza slices. If the steel plate is too thin, it won't hold much latent heat, so it will cool more rapidly than a thicker steel plate or thicker stone deck. You also need to make sure the deck has been thoroughly heated, which might take an hour or more before reheating the slices on it. If you are reheating your slices in a home oven, try using a low rack position in the oven rather than a high(er) rack position. This will bring the deck closer to the heat source thus improving the bottom heat while reducing the top heat to the slice to help prevent melting of the cheese.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »
Im convinced the best way to reheat a slice in the home environment is in a skillet on top of the stove with a lid.    Use medium low heat and its done as soon as the cheese just starts to melt.    Check it out!     

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »
Hello, well I am currently reheating slices in the top deck of a two deck blodgett oven with the thermostat set to 550, the plates are thin steel. I just have noticed that the slices do not crisp up as quickly as slices I have reheated on stones in the past. Perhaps I will try to build up some latent heat in the bottom deck and reheat slices on it...

pizzapan